Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

Michael H
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

Just curious if there were any signs of a replacement for the EM1. I am really close to buying into the system, but I know the unit was released in the fall of 2013. That seems like a fairly typical run with consumer electronics.

I hate to get into the rumor mongering, but also don't want to buy into end of life. Because, well, of course it stops working so well after something new comes along

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

Not until you buy the E-M1 .

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

Here is a thought. Buy a used EM5 and have fun with that as a stop-gap until something new is released. The EM5 is not expensive on the B&S board. I too am getting ready to jump into the system with the release of Oly's longer pro grade lenses.

Edit - the EM10 is not that expensive...another possibility?

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

Mr Terada had hinted that there may be a new OM-D in 2015 :

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2014/09/19/photokina-2014-interview-with-olympus-europe-selfies-om-d-lenses-pro-support-and-video/

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

kewlcanon wrote:
Not until you buy the E-M1 .

That is exactly what I expect! You can all thank me later for the new gear intro

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

galenapass wrote:
Here is a thought. Buy a used EM5 and have fun with that as a stop-gap until something new is released. The EM5 is not expensive on the B&S board. I too am getting ready to jump into the system with the release of Oly's longer pro grade lenses.

Edit - the EM10 is not that expensive...another possibility?

I've considered both. The problem is I've now handled the EM1 and the EM5 just didn't feel right after that. My hands are used to the larger 1Dxx bodies, so the EM1 just felt better all around. Plus the performance differences were pretty noticeable.

I'm with you though...the 40-150/2.8 is what is pushing me further over the edge.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:43 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

I would advise that you get a used or refurbished E-M1 with the 12-40 PRO and 40-150 PRO ... and maybe also the 75/1.8 lens until they release they release a new OM-D ... and you can then either sell your E-M1 or use it as a 2nd body.

Sep 20, 2014 at 01:07 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

Good points Bobby. The biggest rebuttal I'd have to that is that the price difference from a used EM1 and a new one is pretty small right now. Especially this weekend when a large camera chain in LA has them on sale + no sales tax. The difference is the cost of a weeks rental which I was thinking about doing anyway.

m

Sep 20, 2014 at 01:27 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

Well, I had someone else give me a good answer about this today. I asked "do you think there will an omd em1 replacement soon?" Yes. It's silver.

It kind of clicked for me with rhat response. This is a body olympus is committed to. If they weren't they certainly would now release a new version of the body. It's a nice bonus that the new features are available in the firmware update for the black model.

M

Sep 20, 2014 at 07:11 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

I remember reading about how they want to make their bodies more quality and look to improve through firmware instead of releasing body after body. I'm sure I'm not the first to notice that there are a lot of different models and lines released (E-Px, E-PMx, E-PLx, etc), each with very minor incremental upgrades over the last.

If anything, a new E-Mx would probably be a replacement for the E-M5, not the E-M1.

Sep 21, 2014 at 05:11 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

According to 43rumors, posted today, that Dc.watch, in an interview with Mr Haruo from Olympus Imaging, had it "confirmed" that the Em-5 successor is to be released next. Considering the Em-5 has been around for some time and that Olympus seem to be wanting to go a little along the Fujifilm way of "improvement through firmware" I suspect the Em-1 successor might be released in 2016 or late 2015. Just my guess though.

I too am looking to get an Em-1 so in the same spot as you are, almost. I have the Em-5, love the Em-1 but will wait a little longer to see what happens, and besides, I need to spend the money on more glass more then I do on a new body. So the 40-150 is next in line for me :-)

Sep 23, 2014 at 03:38 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

I got tired with over thinking it. Despite the "look" from the wife, I pulled the trigger. Grabbed the em1 with the 12-40/2.8.

Haven't done much with it yet but hope to soon. Had to take advantage of a great sale.

Sep 23, 2014 at 06:19 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Oly OMD EM1 replacement? Any hints at Photokina?

Congratulations!

I bet you will enjoy it! And I think it was a smart move, not overthinking it, if one waits for something new to arrive in todays industry one could wait for ever as new stuff i released all too often.

<----- Jelous

Sep 24, 2014 at 01:18 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.