New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · D3s or D4?

diamondroad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3s or D4?

I'm a wedding photographer who shoots with two D700's..both of which are coming to the end of thier lives. I'm torn between the D3s or the D4. Which would you pick and why?

Before you even mention the D800 or the D810…my wife had a D800 which was HORRIBLE. The shutter was defaulted and had to be replaced twice by Nikon. She ended up buying a D810….and yet again, shutter problems. So I'm picking either the D3s or the D4.

Thanks

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3s or D4?

I am not a wedding photographer . . . but

I'd say if your budget can afford a D4 then get the D4. I personally shoot with a D3s and it is a great camera. I heard the D4 was not that much of an upgrade to a D3s so I went with a D3s. With the $1000 I saved I bought some glass.

I'm sure others who have shot both cameras will chime in with great advice.

Grant

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3s or D4?

D4 for me. Illuminated buttons were nice to have when I shot night weddings and receptions.

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3s or D4?

I wouldn't definitely want the higher resolution plus the extra shutter life of the D4.

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM
diamondroad
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3s or D4?

Thanks everyone…..time to save a little more money for the D4. Anyone have any thoughts on a refurbished D4? I've never bought reburbished before but might consider it.

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3s or D4?

The upgrade from D3s to D4 IS in fact quite minimal overall. If one factors the glass used on such a body, it could be even less.

I'm of the opinion, and will assume you are asking this question with a full arsenal of fast 'better known' 2.8 models that you shoot with.

And, if you are heavily invested in CF memory. Although I was not personally pushed over the edge to go into a D4 due to the minor changes. The D4s is a substantial change, and given the chance and right price, would do so. I think the D3s is one of the most undervalued bodies on the market today. I shoot with both the D3, D3s, and D4 here. The only true real benefit I see every time when using the D4 is it's insane ability to track and focus slightly better than the D3s. Given the skill set here, this is only called into play if I have a paying job that has zero room for error in as much as I can't miss that 70 MPH whatever flying past me. I have no trouble doing it with a D3s, but my keeper rate and probability of *nailing it* increases JUST that little more.

People have an expression we all hear from time to time. 'You can't take it with you'.

I'm taking my D3s with me.

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3s or D4?

I purchased a refurbished D4 from Adorama last year. If you join their VIP program (really cheap) they extend the warranty from 90 days to a year.

Anyway my D4 had like 500 clicks on it and appeared as new. It has worked great since I purchased it and saved me over $1000 versus new.

Sep 20, 2014 at 01:54 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D3s or D4?

"the D4 is it's insane ability to track and focus slightly better than the D3s."

John,

All good points you make. But in dark churches and reception rooms this is exactly why I would want a D4 or D4S.

Sep 20, 2014 at 04:13 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D3s or D4?

I run 2.8 glass across the board here. I've NEVER had a time when I was unable to focus due to light. I have hit the f/8 limitation, but that too has been a real exception.

I'm not getting sold on the D4 line up due to low light focus.. I use both, and it's not a justified argument.. I had said the group tracking and that 'slight edge' on grabbing hold of that moving object. I wouldn't expound any farther on accolades. It is what it is.

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:04 PM
gilgabo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D3s or D4?

I faced a similar choice. I had made up my mind to get a D3S, but ended up locating and purchasing an open box D4 for not much more than a mint D3S. If I had a D3S, I'm sure I wouldn't feel compelled to replace it with a D4, but having neither and given the opportunity to get the D4 for not much more than a D3S, I'd suggest D4. I've read plenty of testimony of those having both - some preferring their D3S, and others preferring their D4, with reasons ranging between ergonomics and ISO performance. I can learn and shoot any body, so my decision came down to getting the newer technology for a price within striking distance of a D3S.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:40 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D3s or D4?

Do you have decent sized hands? When shooting in portrait, the D4 has much better ergonomics than the D3s if you're like me and have small hands.

Doesn't the D4 have better DR too?

Sep 21, 2014 at 01:00 AM
JMYphotos

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D3s or D4?

I think the better question (To those that have owned / shot with both) is whether or not there is a $1000 difference since that is the average price difference I see on B&S.

Sep 21, 2014 at 09:57 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D3s or D4?

this is my answer about the D4

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D3s or D4?

I have purchased 2 refurbished bodies. One came with 6 clicks on the body and the second with 29 clicks. Both continue to operate flawlessly. The D4? Maybe someone will leave one out for me?

Sep 21, 2014 at 02:55 PM
JMDobson
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D3s or D4?

I can't say anything about the D4 firsthand, but I really enjoy shooting my D3S. Nothing really annoys me about the camera, it just does what I ask and keeps working. I wish the screen had an auto-brighten function, but that is my ONLY beef with it. It's a great value, shoots super fast, focuses in really low light. If you do any sort of video though, this is not the camera for you, go up to the D4 for that.

Sep 21, 2014 at 04:35 PM
diamondroad
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D3s or D4?

Thanks again for all the input. I'm probably going to start looking for a used D3s in a few months. I still have seven more wedding to shoot before my wedding season officially comes to an end (but then it starts up again with two in December).

Sep 21, 2014 at 05:18 PM
ab7638
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D3s or D4?

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago... I ended up going with the D3S but was afraid I'd always be wondering if I would have been better off getting the D4. The D3S is great...does everything I want and then some, no second guessing my decision at all. Good luck to you.....snatch up a good low mileage D3S while you still can...

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:11 AM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D3s or D4?

If you're happy with the performance of the D700, stick with the D3s, and take it on a nice vacation with the money you're saving over a D4/D4s.

The D4 offers a little more resolution, a little more speed, and a little less noise at high ISO, but at a significant premium over what a used low-mileage D3s costs!

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:20 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D3s or D4?

really now, multiple shutter issues on 2 different model cameras. that is interesting.

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:34 AM
Willy Y.
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D3s or D4?

I have a very nice D3s with your name on it.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.