FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Berthoud Pass

Sedalia636
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Berthoud Pass

Not far up the pass, looking back toward Empire, Colorado yesterday evening.

C&C appreciated.

Berthoud Pass

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Berthoud Pass

very pretty. you should watch those clouds though. the reds in the clouds are real crunchy and look over cooked

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Sedalia636
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Berthoud Pass

Thank you for the feedback. I struggled with the clouds, as they were all but lost when the shutter clicked.

Sep 20, 2014 at 01:27 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Berthoud Pass

Nice image and I get to travel across the pass in a couple more days.

Regarding the clouds, I sympathize with your efforts. It can be tough to process so the impact is revived and the look is still natural. Unfortunately downsizing for the web does not help. Downsizing and jpeg compression can give a blotchy appearance.

Sep 20, 2014 at 02:14 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Berthoud Pass

Downsizing and converting to jpg won't make shots look crunchy if it's done correctly. And plus, if that was reason it would seem that more than the clouds would look blotchy...

To the OP, what did you mean the clouds were nearly gone when you pressed the shutter? Did you blow out the highlights? Or are you saying the color had faded?

Jim

Sep 20, 2014 at 03:04 PM
Sedalia636
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Berthoud Pass

The original image suffers from blown out clouds. I have tried to do everything to recover them.

Sep 20, 2014 at 07:48 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Berthoud Pass

Sedalia636 wrote:
The original image suffers from blown out clouds. I have tried to do everything to recover them.

At this point you might try a layer mask selecting the sky and then use a slight Gaussian blur to smooth out the blotchiness.

As for blown highlights that's one of the most important lessons to learn when shooting, don't blow the highlights. Always check your histogram to check the exposure and make sure you have the "bliinkies" turned on for your LCD display. My default LCD display is the bliinkies screen. I will then toggle down to the histogram just to double check the exposure, but by default I have the bliinkies up do that immediately I know if I am blowing my highlights. If the scene is too much of a DR, then I will take a 2nd or 3rd shot to expose for the shadows.

Jim

Sep 20, 2014 at 08:19 PM
Sedalia636
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Berthoud Pass

Thank you for the advice Jim.

Sep 20, 2014 at 08:30 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Berthoud Pass

Jim, thanks for the clarification on this. I had an image from Yellowstone which had suffered from blotchy colors in the sky. It looked pretty decent until I downsized so I know downsizing made it worse. I am going to look at this image again. I suspect I had the same problem in blowing out some of the colors and will take a look at the histograms and try reprocessing.

I also need to take a look at how the blinkies work on my camera. I think I can blow out individual colors especially the reds and still not get blinkies. Using the setting for individual color histograms might be necessary for me.

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:46 PM
ronald_t
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Berthoud Pass

Very nice. The road line, following the path of least resistance.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.