Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

alfarmer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

That last P&S I used regularly was the Panasonic LX5. I switched to DSLR and phone for a while, but the new crop of cameras announced this week has me salivating. But it's a tough call so I thought I'd get some FMer opinions. :-)

I'm considering:
(1) Panasonic LX100
(2) Fujifilm X30
(3) Fujifilm X100T

The LX100 looks quite nice and is the spiritual successor a camera I really liked. Great lens, u4/3 sensor, 4K video. No built-in flash?!? Also if it doesn't have the lens cap attachment hook (like the LX7 didn't), that's a deal-killer for me as it was for the LX7.

The X30 is the least expensive of the bunch and its predecessors were well-reviewed. Not sure there's much of an update from the X20, which will be available at a discount once the X30 is released. I'm not used to the ergonomics and physical layout of the Fuji series, but it doesn't seem insurmountable. Sensor not quite as big as LX100, but X-Trans also seems to be well-received. The tablet/phone remote app is also cool.

The X100T is top-of-the line and has all the X30 features plus a few (nice shutter speeds & APS-C sensor). AF and time between shots are oddly slower than the X30.

Thoughts on the plusses & minuses of each?

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:27 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

Wow, nothin' eh?

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:30 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

Well, to start off with do you want a zoom or a fixed prime?

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:11 PM
loosh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

You seem to have all of the facts. What is left is for you to decide what is most important, as everybody has different priorities. For example, I'd never consider lens cap hooks, or even built in flash, in my purchase.

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:12 PM
leo11877
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

In my experience I would not buy the Panasonic right away as their prices tend to go down a lot after some time. The Fujis have the best resale value specially the X** series.

As for the usage, I would lean toward the Panasonic as it is the best value from a feature and IQ stand point.

Sep 22, 2014 at 02:28 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

leo11877 wrote:
In my experience I would not buy the Panasonic right away as their prices tend to go down a lot after some time. The Fujis have the best resale value specially the X** series.

As for the usage, I would lean toward the Panasonic as it is the best value from a feature and IQ stand point.

Tell that to X-E1 users who watched the value of their gear sink by half in a VERY short period of time.

Sep 22, 2014 at 04:39 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

can't speak to the panasonics. I've used the x10 and x20. I think they're underrated little cameras that produce some nice image quality. probably not the best IQ from a technical standpoint, but if you're not obsessed with that stuff I think the trade off for fujis "look" is a worthwhile one. good little macro camera, too. the x30 looks interesting with an evf replacing the admittedly tiny optical finder on previous models. very quiet shutter sound, at least on the 10 and 20. good handling, well built.

the x100 is kind of a different animal. how do you feel about 35mm? rangefinder-esque optical finder is great, nice to have the ability to toggle to the evf if you want it. built in ND is helpful. shutter is almost completely silent, really a wonderful feature if you use this camera in a reportage approach, which is really it's bread and butter. again, well made, easy to use, small, and the wonderful fuji look. can you live with a 35?

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:03 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

it really comes down to the lens. either you can live with a 35 or you can't. I think the answer is x100 hands down if you're willing to commit to a 35.

if you're not sure buy a used x100s off the b&s for like $900.... if you decide you can't live with a 35 you'll be able to sell it for a small loss.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:11 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

If I were you I'd look into Panasonic GM5.

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:34 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

The GM5 does indeed look nice, but I'm looking for a pocketable P&S with better than "normal" P&S performance & features. But keep the options coming. They're great to have. :-)

I could live with a single focal length if it were, say, f/1.4-1.8 with great optics and clear high-ISO IQ. The ability to focus at -3EV or better would also push me in that direction. Not too sure on the x100t, but it's on the list because of reputation.

I'd considered an S110 at one point, but oddly didn't take to the control scheme. Weird since my DSLR is Canon. Not looking at most of the super-zooms because they tend to be too large, have poorer IQ, and are difficult to hand-hold at the long end.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:14 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

Ι dont think any of the above are actually pocketable as such... maybe jacket pocket

I'd let the lens determine the choice if I were you, being stuck with one prime isa bit of an acquired taste.
Although all those smartphone shooters don't seem to mind :P

Sep 23, 2014 at 04:51 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

Don't forget the new Canon G 7 x and the Sony RX 100 series cameras. The Canon is 24-100mm zoom f/1.8-2.8 and has a built in flash and is around $ 699, or $ 200 cheaper than the LX 100. I think the Sony RX 100 series are the smallest and have a 1 inch sensor. The first RX 100 is the smallest and cheapest of the series.

Sep 23, 2014 at 06:25 AM
cope07
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

If you are looking at a P&S (and by implication a camera with a zoom), I think the Panasonic LX100 is hard to beat.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

Why is the lens cap attachment a deal breaker on the LX100 but not the X100t ?

I personally find nothing more annoying than having a lens cap tethered to a camera, but then again, I've also never (knock on wood) lost a lens cap in all my years of shooting and hundreds of cameras I've owned. Just put it into your pocket or camera bag.

Worse comes to worse, its about $5 to replace one, though I don't always used the stock caps. My Sony RX1 for example has a nice metal cap, but its $80, so I instead use a $2.99 black plastic 49mm cap that works equally well.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

This may not matter to some, but the EVF of the LX100 is significantly better than the tiny tunnel finder on the GM5.

kewlcanon wrote:
If I were you I'd look into Panasonic GM5.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:25 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

millsart wrote:
Why is the lens cap attachment a deal breaker on the LX100 but not the X100t ?

I personally find nothing more annoying than having a lens cap tethered to a camera, but then again, I've also never (knock on wood) lost a lens cap in all my years of shooting and hundreds of cameras I've owned. Just put it into your pocket or camera bag.

Worse comes to worse, its about $5 to replace one, though I don't always used the stock caps. My Sony RX1 for example has a nice metal cap, but its $80, so I instead use a
...Show more

the trick with the x100 is to buy the filter adapter and just slap a uv on it and never touch a lens cap again.

i.e.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6097/6352416418_bc6254b96f_z.jpg

Sep 23, 2014 at 01:00 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

If you're thinking pocketable, larger sensor and can live with a prime lens, other considerations include the Ricoh GR and Nikon A. IIRC, one of the complaints about the GR is slowish low light focusing. Neither are very fast lenses, unfortunately. Then there's the new Leica X...

I'm also intrigued by the LX100, but will wait for some proper reviews to establish if the lens lives up to (my) expectations. Other than lacking an EVF, the Canon G7X looks nice, but some of the early tests I've seen hint that the lens may underperform. Admittedly, these early samples were from beta preproduction units.

Sep 23, 2014 at 02:35 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

goosemang wrote:
the trick with the x100 is to buy the filter adapter and just slap a uv on it and never touch a lens cap again.

i.e.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6097/6352416418_bc6254b96f_z.jpg

Yep, or, even better, get a Pentax MH-RC hood (or the rainbow imaging copy) and put a filter on the underside of the hood:

http://www.fujixspot.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2386&stc=1&d=1377314567

Sep 23, 2014 at 02:40 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

if you really want pocketable i think you've gotta go with like a rx100 or ricoh gr as mentioned above.

the lx100 and the x100 aren't really pocket cameras, unless you're a member of Kriss Kross.

Sep 23, 2014 at 03:02 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New camera time -- confusion ensues!

Hmm, interesting. So size-wize it's really the Sony, X30, or maybe G7x?

As for lens cap issues, it would be the same on the x100t too if it has the same issue as the LX7. I'm not worried about losing the lens cap, I'm worried about having to "deal" with it every time I take it off and put it back on. With an auto-retractable or tethered lens cap, it's automatic and I don't have to think about it. Saves seconds when scrambling to get the camera on and pointed at a fleeting subject.

And now that y'all have made me consider it more, I don't think I need a fixed-focal-length lens. As you say, I already have one of those on my phone.

Sep 23, 2014 at 05:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.