Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

I am going to resurrect a topic from a year ago. I was looking at buying the sigma 120-300 Sport but that purchase got delayed. I am now looking at a few purchases in the next couple of months; most notably the Canon 7D Mark II, the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 and the Sigma 1.4x and 2x TCs. This setup will weigh about 10lbs.

My favourite type of photography is wildlife and I enjoy hiking, so naturally, if I can combine the two, that is nirvana. When hiking, I usually have my backpack on, which includes a CF tripod. I don't take a monopod when I have a tripod and vice versa.

A year ago, I looked at straps, harnesses and a little bit at front bags. One of the problems with front systems is that this camera/lens combo will be about 18" or 19" long with the hood on. Add the TC and there's another 2" to deal with. I don't think it would be that comfortable hiking with the lens just under my chin and the hood around my belt line. On the strap front the Black Rapid Sport looks to be the best bet.

Anyway, given that this has been a popular lens, I am hoping a few people have worked out this challenge and can offer some suggestions.

Thanks

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

It sounds funny, but I've hiked with the 120-300 S, and hooked the tripod foot onto my pack's waist belt and that really took a lot of weight off my neck and shoulders. I had a BlackRapid attached still, but the weight got transferred into my hip/pack, which was nice.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:26 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

If I am understanding you correctly Chestnut, you used your pack's waist belt as the primary carrying device and the BR as the safety strap, so to speak? Interesting!

Which BR do you use; Sport?

Sep 20, 2014 at 09:33 AM
tc95
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

Think tank lens changer system might work... I used the Lens Changer attached to a backpack... the problem is if you got the external foot TS-41 or 51

This also looks interesting .. TurnStyle 5

Sep 20, 2014 at 09:50 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

Hi EverLearning,

I pack in with the ThinkTank Glass Taxi which carries lens with camera attached and has more than ample extra room for the TCs and a few other goodies. Strap is attached to the lens foot when in use. Hope this helps!

Jimmy G

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:15 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

i simply carry it in a Kinesis padded bag E584 and carry it sideways inside on top either my fstop Satori exp or loka. the satori having a lg ICU in it the Loka having a Med size ICU in it.

and of course since you won't take any additional support your practicing you 16oz wrist curls.

after a short time a i estimate a weight to support to use attitude change.

Sep 20, 2014 at 01:50 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

sjms, the E584 is only 11.5" on the interior. The Sigma 120-300 is 11.49", so E584 will not hold the lens attached to the body (let alone a TC or the hood on).

I'm not sure what you mean by your last comment, as I indicated I usually have my CF tripod with me. I just wouldn't take a mono if I have my tripod with me. Based on short trials, I don't think hiking with a tripod on the shoulder and camera on the tripod is that great, although it's not too bad if it is up against the backpack strap (it's just that it is wider than a mono so it's either up against the neck or slipping off the shoulder).

Sep 20, 2014 at 04:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

personally i do not/would not run around with a camera mounted to a lens with that mass inside a bag. yes i know they make bags for just that but you know how things work. you wonder why nikon cries impact damage. impact damage can be defined as excessive loading of the mount that causes distortion. you create a lever and more ways to put a load in the lens mount. but then that your business.
the E584 will hold the lens with the 1.4x TC on it. the hood will go reversed.

i do apologize for the misread on the tripod. you are correct. i use this lens most of the time on a MP and only about 15% on a sidekick mount.
i do carry mine with a D4s on it mounted on a MP. and on a tripod mounted to a sidekick.

Edited on Sep 21, 2014 at 10:13 AM · View previous versions

Sep 20, 2014 at 04:27 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

The more I look at this, the more I think I am looking at three solutions:

Current, somewhat big, backpack for travel and 'destination' hikes where I don't need the lens until I get to a specific area or base camp

A Black Rapid Sport for situations where I know I will be frequently accessing the camera/lens (zoo, game park, sporting event, walks in the nearby wooded area with deer, birds, etc.)

A sling like bag for situations that are somewhat in between (example: snoeshoeing to a specific spot for wildlife shooting)

My brain is starting to hurt! I think I will start off with my current bag and the BR Sport and go from there (probably with a safety strap added in). There's only so much this situation can be analyzed.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

yep there ain't no one perfect answer.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

I carry it in a Gura Gear 22L and when shooting I use a BR sport

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:26 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

hijazist, how long have you been carrying it with a BR Sport? How long do you tend to carry it with the Sport? How comfortable is it? Do you ever worry about its ability to support/secure this much weight? Do use a safety strap of some sort 'just in case'?

Sep 22, 2014 at 03:59 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

EverLearning wrote:
hijazist, how long have you been carrying it with a BR Sport? How long do you tend to carry it with the Sport? How comfortable is it? Do you ever worry about its ability to support/secure this much weight? Do use a safety strap of some sort 'just in case'?

I've sold the lens now but I've used it for 4 months in that configuration. I use it for almost 2 hours (soccer match) every time. The system doesn't' have extra safety for what ifs and I honestly always worry about the system failing especially when you hear horror stories from fellow members, so although it worked like a charm, it's still a risk...

Sep 22, 2014 at 08:23 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

I use a Sun-Sniper instead of a Black Rapid. Personally, I think the Sun-Sniper design and engineering outclasses the BR in every single respect, from comfort to functionality to safety, especially with their rotating connector that prevents incidental torque from the rig swinging from being transferred to undoing the connection. But that is another story. Even so, I thought I wanted an failsafe mechanism, and I settled on this:

http://luma-labs.com/products/m-connect

I have it attached under my L-plate or lens plate (with the D-ring sticking out). Then a couple of op-tech connectors: one end to the Luma cinch D-ring, and the other to the Sun-Sniper strap. So I have this as a back-up in case the primary connection fails.

I should mention that the primary connection is the (super-nifty) Sun-Sniper connector to this:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-FABN-38mm-Screw-knob-clamp-with-strap-bosses.html

I thus use the Arca-Swiss clamp to connect either to the camera body or the lens plate as the primary connection, and the Lima cinch + op-tech as the back-up.

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

my setups

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:39 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Carrying the Sigma 120-300?

jeetsukumaran, thanks for the info. The two links are interesting. I have made note of them.

The sun sniper is not an option for me as the highest rated one is 3kg (6.6lbs). I will be at 10lbs.

sjms, that 'setup' looks pretty good for urban settings, but I don't think it would handle the trails very well!

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:55 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.