Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

Etherton
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

I am looking for a backup for my 5D MKIII. Given the timing of the 7D MKII would you pick that up or pick up a 6D? Canon has the 6D refurbed for $1519 which isn't a bad price. Although having that extra reach with a APS-C (7D MKII) would be really nice too.

Equipment owned:

Canon 5D MKIII | 14L 2.8 II | 24-70 2.8 MKII | 100L 2.8 IS | 70-200 2.8 MKII | (2) Profoto B1 | Air Remote TTL-C

Damn it, I don't know how to make a poll.

Sep 19, 2014 at 09:34 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

Another 5D III is what I do. The 7D II would be a complement, not a backup.

EBH

Sep 19, 2014 at 09:37 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

I think that the backup body decision comes down to something you did not mention, namely how do you see yourself using a "backup" camera? I see folks adopt several different perspectives on this:

Second camera rather than "backup" camera. In other words, they intend to make nearly equal use of the two cameras rather than keeping the backup camera in the bag, only to be used when the primary camera fails.

Augment/complement the primary camera. Here the idea is to get a second camera that does some things that the primary does not do — perhaps augmenting a landscape-oriented high MP camera with a cropped sensor body that gets more "reach" from lenses and can operate faster. Or perhaps augmenting a larger body with a smaller mirrorless system for street and travel.

Emergency camera to be used in the unlikely event that the primary fails and you need to be able to shoot something in its absence, though you might be willing to accept a lesser camera in this rare situation.

Duplicate camera that works pretty much the same as your primary.

I don't know your circumstances, but most people who aren't doing regular and critical professional work under pressure can probably do fine with something that doesn't equal the primary camera, especially if the main idea is to not get caught camera-less in an unusual emergency.

Dan

Sep 19, 2014 at 09:49 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

I have a 5D3 and a 1D3. The 1.3x crop gels better with a dual camera setup than the 1.6x cropped sensors (been down that road, never again). I also appreciate that it gives me something the 5D3 can't: waterproof-ish and 10fps. They work great together and I would highly recommend one at their current cheap prices that make them perfect for a back up or second body. The AF on the 1D3 is fantastic, in case you have heard otherwise. I recently covered the x-games with it and had no problems with tracking fast moving objects or low light concerts.

Sep 19, 2014 at 09:50 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

I fall into the Augment/complement & Emergency category. I don't see myself needing an identical camera to my 5D MKIII. I hadn't considered a 1D3 but will take a look look in B/S Forum's. My 5D actually did fail me earlier this year… on vacation no less. It was fixed by warranty but the timing was awful. Appreciate the feedback.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:00 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

eth3rton wrote:
I fall into the Augment/complement & Emergency category. I don't see myself needing an identical camera to my 5D MKIII. I hadn't considered a 1D3 but will take a look look in B/S Forum's. My 5D actually did fail me earlier this year… on vacation no less. It was fixed by warranty but the timing was awful. Appreciate the feedback.

I had a 5D die back in the day... on a night photography shoot that required a total of three hours driving there and back. It was at that point that I made some decisions about backup cameras, since I'm often in situations where a failed camera would otherwise mean no photography.

For a long time I simply kept the "old camera" when I got a new one. For example, when I got a 5DII I hung on to the 5D. This idea of hanging onto and older camera can be more effective for your purpose than buying a newer body just for emergencies.

Since that time I acquired a small mirrorless camera that produces very high quality images The primary reason was not for backup, but rather to have a camera for travel and street photography and similar work where a small, light, and inconspicuous system was advantageous. Once I had this and used it a bit, I realized that it made more sense to regard that as my backup camera than to hang onto a 5D that I never used.

Another option is to acquire one of the Canon "Rebel" series bodies — the cropped sensor cameras like the t3i and others in that series. These are actually capable of producing some very fine image quality, and older version can be had for a song. They are also very small and light.

Dan

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

A backup body - must fill in for the front line shooter, so near the same...
- image quality
- AF capabilities
- button/controls layout
- custom function options
- memory cards
- audio/video functionality, inputs/outputs

If you're okay with a crop body then possibly the 7D2
If you can manage using 'only' the AF center point and focus/recompose it's the 6D
Otherwise get another 5D3

However if solid everything is required, new controls/functions are cool, an integrated grip and heavier is ok, then how about a 1Ds3

Then again you could go inexpensive/smallish with a Rebel level body or a 60D/70D with their articulating screens. If memory serves, the T5i and 70D also have touch screens, and the 70D has near the same AF as the 7D with the added bonus of DPAF; in a smaller package. Note, Rebel bodies use a pentamirror and their viewfinders kind of 'suck'. All other bodies mentioned have the same pentaprism style viewfinder...that you can actually use.

Just my 2cents,
Jerry

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

Whats acceptable mileage on a 1D3 or 1Ds3?

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

eth3rton wrote:
Whats acceptable mileage on a 1D3 or 1Ds3?

You might call Canon to see what a new shutter would cost, might do the same for any used body; except for the inexpensive ones. Both 1D3's are rated at 300K exposures...

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

What Dan said.

I'll add my long-winded comments.

I use my 6D more than my other cameras, generally. My 'backup' to the 6D is my 1Ds2 as they are both full frame but the 1Ds2 doesn't come close in the high ISO department. My other cameras are 1D3 and 1D2's.

The 1D3's 45 point AF (with 19 high precision cross-type and 26 helper AF points) is insanely good.

The 1Ds2's 45 point AF (with 7 high-precision cross-type) is not quite as adept and feels a little sluggish compared to the 1D3's AF system in tracking performance.

Plus, you can fill the buffer fast and it's slow to clear to a card. I use the 1Ds2 when I need the 16.7 megapixels compared to the 1D3's 10 megapixels.

Both have big, bright 100% viewfinders. The 1Ds2's LCD display sucks, but I only really use it to check the RGB histogram. My eyesight is such that to see any LCD properly, I have to remove my eyeglasses. Viewing the histogram is no problem however.

I don't really consider any of the three to be backups, they all perform different magic.

But to the extent that I have other cameras I could use if a problem develops, then I have a backup or two.

Sep 20, 2014 at 01:42 AM
ekoe

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

get a 6d and an m for reach

Sep 20, 2014 at 01:55 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

eth3rton wrote:
My 5D actually did fail me earlier this year… on vacation no less. It was fixed by warranty but the timing was awful. Appreciate the feedback.

ask yourself , would you have taken a 1D3 with you on vacation?

I know I certainly wouldn't have

Sep 20, 2014 at 01:59 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

Thanks for all the replies everyone! No one has mentioned the Sony A7r. It's been on my wishlist for awhile but I have not took the plunge. Would you consider it for this purpose?

Sep 20, 2014 at 03:00 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

StillFingerz wroteIf you can manage using 'only' the AF center point and focus/recompose it's the 6D

I was to the understanding that the 6D AF was at least as good as the 5D MKIII? Is this not the case? Low light conditions is a must with decent ISO.

Sep 20, 2014 at 09:19 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

eth3rton wrote:
Thanks for all the replies everyone! No one has mentioned the Sony A7r. It's been on my wishlist for awhile but I have not took the plunge. Would you consider it for this purpose?

No. You seem to be a bit confused or not experienced with Canon. Get a 6D if you need a body that is closer to a backup and cheaper than a 5D III, or get a 7D II if you need reach for long lenses. However, your lenses indicate that a 1.6x crop is not your main need. 1D series have many advantages, but unless you already own one, they are more of a primary body than a backup. The batteries and charger alone can be a hassle if you are used to the LP-E6 type.

EBH

Sep 20, 2014 at 09:27 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

eth3rton wrote:
I was to the understanding that the 6D AF was at least as good as the 5D MKIII? Is this not the case? Low light conditions is a must with decent ISO.

the 6D has great AF (from many reports on here and other places) . its just that it has many fewer AF points . so if your using AF modes like groups and assisted points then the 6D may not offer what you want .

I would advise thinking and working out what AF points (and modes) you use . DPP or Aperture (i think a could of other progs might as well) will show you what AF point(s) were used in an image .

the 6D however has a better low light rated centre point than the 5D3 . so if you shoot alot in low light then that may be a consideration .

you also mention the Sony A7 . Now I know alot of people have fallen for the new mirrorless thing (and good luck to them) and I know you can get adapters that allow AF with canon lenses .
But , it does make me giggle when lots of the same people criticize X canon body and X canon lens for having poor AF speed/accuracy but are then happy to put up with slow AF on the sony . Lets face it the world isnt hailing the sony A7 as the worlds greatest AF machine (or even close) with sony's own glass and it wont get any better with adapted glass
now an A7r and a couple of great Manual Focus lenses I can see the attraction

also I will add that the battery life on some of these mirrorless cameras is pretty poor which maybe a factor .
I shot a group day at a big cat sanctuary a while ago with my 5D3 . there were 10 of us . 6 had mirrorless ( a mix of sony, oly and panasonic) and all were scrabbling around for battery chargers at lunch and most had to seriously hold back on the shooting in the afternoon to conserve juice ( 2 had to resort to their iphones) , while the 4 DSLR shooters had no issue . I think I shot around 2k of images . I swapped out the battery at lunch time but could have easily gone the whole day on a single battery .

Sep 20, 2014 at 09:58 AM
RexGig0
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

eth3rton wrote:

What do you mean by "at least as good?" No, the 6D does not not have nearly the overall AF technology as the 5D Mark III. The 6D does have very good AF with the central AF point, to include class-leading low-light AF ability with that central AF point. If you focus-and-recompose, using the central AF point, the 6D is a very good camera. If you use multiple AF points to track a moving subject, the 5D Mark III will be notably better than the 6D.

I very much tried to learn to like the 6D, for low-light shooting, to join my "team" of two 7D cameras, but the differing arrangement of the top buttons, in particular the ISO botton no longer being the farthest-right of the identically-sized top buttons, and the differing rear dial, caused me to pass on the 6D. I live near a large independent camera store, and two Best Buy stores, and made numerous visits to handle the 6D. (Notably, when I am handling a 1D Mark II N or Nikon D700 body, I do not get confused about the controls, probably because the much-different-feeling body is an overwhelmingly obvious tactile clue that the controls are different.)

My point is not to slam the 6D, but to caution that a camera with differing controls can be an issue, especially something as subtle as rearranged top right buttons. Notably, the 7D Mark II appears to have nearly-identical controls as the 5D Mark III.

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking for a backup body... Opinions?

I wouldn't worry too much about subtly rearranged controls. It might be a bit of a hassle, but with a little practice you won't have any problems. Each of four Canon cameras that I own have wildly different controls and layout.

You just need to spend some time with the camera and become accustomed to each.

The 6D has a wonderful, sensitive, center point AF that only AF's at f/5.6 max. It does not AF at f/8 - so forget about using 100-300 or 100-400 long lenses with a 1.4x TC on that body.

The 1D3 will also x-sync a flash at 1/300 second. The 6D will only go to 1/180 second if you use an exposure increment setting of 1/2 stop. If you use 1/3 stop, your flash will max out at 1/160th second.

If you need a light package, a 1D series won't cut it.

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.