New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sharing filters among lenses

adam613
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sharing filters among lenses

I'm in the process of switching to Nikon FX, and I'm trying to figure out how to build my kit without having to carry a billion filters. I frequently use a circular polarizer and/or a strong ND filter to do funny things with light. I have my heart set on one of two normal-range zooms that both have 82mm threads (the Sigma 24-105 and the Tamron 24-70 VC), but most ultrawide zooms and most telephoto lenses take 77mm filters. What does one do in this situation, other than buying duplicate filters? I imagine the situation gets even worse when one starts acquiring primes with smaller threads.

Should I start using square filters? That's a world I'm not familiar with...suggestions on where to start? Are they fiddly to use in the field?

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sharing filters among lenses

I think you can get an 82mm CPL filter (and other circular filters that you want) and a 82-77 step up/down ring. If you want to buy rectangular filters, I think you should go to a store and try out the Z-Pro (4" wide) filters. You can get the Cokin holders, but don't get the Cokin filters. Most of them have a color cast. Spend a little bit more and get some better filters.

Good luck.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sharing filters among lenses

The big problem with step down rings is you can't use your lens hood. Lens hoods really are important for increasing contrast and color. For this reason I simply standardized my lenses on 77mm.

Kent in SD

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM
PB_James
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sharing filters among lenses

Just get the lenses you want, and the appropriate sized filters for them, and be done with it. Like you, I like to have a CPL and a strong ND for my lenses, so I've had three sets (77,72,67) to be able to use the right one when needed. Six filters in a small pouch is nothing size and weight wise to an FX rig, and I much prefer it to fussing with adapter rings and swapping filters from one lens to the other when I should be shooting.

Sep 19, 2014 at 01:20 AM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sharing filters among lenses

My biggest lens thread is 77mm, smallest 52mm so I have a set of 77mm and a 77-52 step down ring or 77-72 step down ring.

The problem when you go above 77 is that the filters become exponentially more expensive. ie 82mm

I also have a set of 67mm which I can also use on the 52mm lenses with a 67-52 step down.

Sep 19, 2014 at 01:35 AM
adam613
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sharing filters among lenses

I already have 77mm filters. I've used them with a step-down ring on m43 lenses...it's fiddly and annoying to use in the field, but it works. The problem is, as has been pointed out, that 82mm filters are insanely expensive...the Lee Big Stopper is affordable in comparison.

I'm starting to wonder if I should just get the Nikon 24-120 and be done with it...but I really like the Sigma 24-105...

But, I live not that far from B&H. I'll probably head over there on Sunday to see if I can play with some rectangular filters and see how I feel about it...

Sep 19, 2014 at 09:09 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sharing filters among lenses

adam613 wrote:
I already have 77mm filters. I've used them with a step-down ring on m43 lenses...it's fiddly and annoying to use in the field, but it works. The problem is, as has been pointed out, that 82mm filters are insanely expensive...the Lee Big Stopper is affordable in comparison.

I'm starting to wonder if I should just get the Nikon 24-120 and be done with it...but I really like the Sigma 24-105...

But, I live not that far from B&H. I'll probably head over there on Sunday to see if I can play with some rectangular filters and see how I feel about it...

I think you should go and visit B&H. It is always fun to visit their stores for a photography afficiando anyway.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sharing filters among lenses

See, I made a conscious decision to standardize on lenses with either 77mm and 52mm threads. This makes it "easy" for me. I carry my 77mm CPL and 3stop ND filter with me all the time. I've recently got the same for my 52mm lenses.

Sep 20, 2014 at 04:48 PM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sharing filters among lenses

I bought the Lee Filters Lens Hood Wide Angle with Two Slots and love it.
You'd need to buy the adapter sizes ( sounds like 82mm and 77 mm , or buy the 82mm and get a step up ring from 77 to 82) as well as the filter effects you'd like.

I shoot out in the sun a lot so the lens hood is good for that and the filter capability gives me ability to cut/balance the light as well. Took me forever to buy it, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Sep 20, 2014 at 09:51 PM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sharing filters among lenses

If you want to completely standardize your filter set, go big or go home:
http://instagram.com/p/mIK_Wlk7YN
I use a Chrosziel mattebox, french flag, and 4x4" filters when I want one set of filters, and the ability to keep the sun off my lenses...

Any other time (i.e. when I'm doing stills, not video/film work), it's just more cost effective and practical to have a filter wallet with a CPL, 3 stop ND, and 9 stop ND for each lens size in your bag. For me, that's 3x 77mm filters (to fit my 85/1.4, 70-200/2.8 VR) and 3x 67mm (to fit my 35/1.4, 28-75/2.8).

Sep 22, 2014 at 04:17 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.