New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 7D2 5 Stop Push(?)

whumber
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D2 5 Stop Push(?)

TTMartin over on DPReview posted what he claims is a 5 stop push (+4 EV & + 50 Shadows) of one of the 7D2 CR2 files using RAWTherapee. If true, the result (shown below, supposedly with no noise reduction) is pretty remarkable.

http://i.imgur.com/5vVH2SIh.jpg

And just for comparison, a similarly pushed shot from an A7.

http://i.imgur.com/RWkB1SNh.png

Seems too good to be true, but now my curiosity is piqued.

Sep 18, 2014 at 01:43 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D2 5 Stop Push(?)

whumber wrote:
Seems too good to be true, but now my curiosity is piqued.

It is and it isn't. It seems like they did manage to get rid of all banding (at least from what I can see in the rather narrow masked area on an ISO100 RAW file) so it looks very clean in that sense, no nasty fixed pattern noise. OTOH, the random read noise appears to measure about the same as for the original 7D (so 2-3 stops worse than D810).

So while the random read noise is still likely the same as ever with Canon, without the banding you can at least make 100% full use of every last little bit of it now, so the effective DR should be better than with the 7D.

(note how much farther to the right the histogram is in the Canon file in your comparison above)

Sep 18, 2014 at 01:52 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D2 5 Stop Push(?)

Well, I've pushed some of the other 7DII sample RAW files floating around.

While there's definitely no banding, the shadows are not any cleaner than on the 70D.
So, I'm not seeing a reason to be excited, unfortunately. YMMV.

Sep 18, 2014 at 01:54 PM
whumber
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D2 5 Stop Push(?)

skibum5 wrote:
OTOH, the random read noise appears to measure about the same as for the original 7D (so 2-3 stops worse than D810).

So while the random read noise is still likely the same as ever with Canon, without the banding you can at least make 100% full use of every last little bit of it now, so the effective DR should be better than with the 7D.

(note how much farther to the right the histogram is in the Canon file in your comparison above)

I don't have any tools to actually quantify the noise so you could very well be correct. But from a qualitative view the noise from the A7 and this 7D2 shot are almost identical.

http://i.imgur.com/wTL7mB8h.png

This one is showing a very similar exposure to what was in the 7D2 file.

Sep 18, 2014 at 02:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D2 5 Stop Push(?)

These comparisons may lead to doubt and confusion. Here are a few points:
  1. We need to compare both files at 100% magnification. Files should be normalized for us to fairly visualize noise characteristics.
  2. The histogram graph needs to be identical for both files as well. (Same exact exposure/ same exact scene)
  3. Only then we could push the shadows and compare the crops side by side…
  4. Ideally, crop sensors should be compared to crop sensors. I would like to see a Canon 70D vs 7D vs 7D II comparison using the method above from a high contrast scene.

Sep 18, 2014 at 02:42 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D2 5 Stop Push(?)

I'll wait until we have something definitive - scenes that I can directly compare

Although high dr isn't so much of an issue for me..

Sep 18, 2014 at 02:53 PM
whumber
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D2 5 Stop Push(?)

Fred Miranda wrote:
These comparisons may lead to doubt and confusion. Here are a few points:
  1. We need to compare both files at 100% magnification. Files should be normalized for us to fairly visualize noise characteristics.
  2. The histogram graph needs to be identical for both files as well. (Same exact exposure/ same exact scene)
  3. Only then we could push the shadows and compare the crops side by side…
  4. Ideally, crop sensors should be compared to crop sensors. I would like to see a Canon 70D vs 7D vs 7D II comparison using the method above from a high contrast scene.

I definitely agree, I was just very surprised as I recognized the claimed 5 stop push of the 7D2 as looking extremely similar to what I've seen from the A7 when chroma noise removal is turned off.

Sep 18, 2014 at 03:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.