MitchSC
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Third party battery?

MitchSC wrote:
I assume you are kidding.
$43.99
http://www.adorama.com/INKENEL14A.html

I apologize Glen. I misread the battery #.
I realized my mistake after reading Leif's post.

Edited on Sep 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2014 at 08:06 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Third party battery?

J Newkirk wrote:
Steve,
we all have our stories and experiences...

OEM en el15 supplied with d800 = dead in 3 months, nikon 'no warranty'
OEM en el15 supplied with V1 = dead in 2 months, nikon 'no warranty'
OEM en el15 purchased with D800 = dead in 4 months, nikon 'no warranty'
OEM en el15 purchased with V1 = dead in 3 WEEKS, nikon 'no warranty'
OEM en el15 purchased as back up to backup = dead in 7 months, nikon 'no warranty'
Wasabi (3) en el15 purchased out of frustration with Nikon, still 'new' after 24 months usage.

and, I'm not so sure that if somehow an OEM
...Show more

Wow, that's some seriously bad luck - I never had a nikon battery fail - ever. I certainly can understand your frustration, it's BS that Nikon didn't take care of it IMO.

That said, keep in mind that while Nikon may not make their own battery cells, they DO specify the electronics and circuitry involved. Remember last year when Nikon did a firmware update that basically rendered 3rd party batteries useless on whatever camera(s) it was? I can understand your frustration, but, like you say, we all have our stories and experiences. I know everyone's always looking for a deal, but for me (at least for now) I'll stick with OEM batteries.

Sep 19, 2014 at 08:12 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Third party battery?

> There have been many cases of a third party battery catching fire while charging, potentially destroying a house, and even killing the occupants.

Let's not forget than OEM batteries are not immune to problems

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/gezwvxix/EN-EL3-Battery-Recall.html

Personally I have bought both. If the OEM is only modestly more I buy OEM; if OEM is outrageous I give aftermarket a try.

Sep 19, 2014 at 08:29 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Third party battery?

MalbikEndar wrote:
> There have been many cases of a third party battery catching fire while charging, potentially destroying a house, and even killing the occupants.

Let's not forget than OEM batteries are not immune to problems

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/gezwvxix/EN-EL3-Battery-Recall.html

Personally I have bought both. If the OEM is only modestly more I buy OEM; if OEM is outrageous I give aftermarket a try.

Quite right, and what about Sony? The difference is that a good brand name will have good QC and recall batteries if problems arise. Were there any cases of the Nikon battery going up in smoke, or was it precautionary because they did not meet stringent requirements? My bet is the latter. I'm sure the better third party companies will do likewise, but poor ones won't. I am on the Nikon support list, so if there is trouble, I get an email.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:12 AM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Third party battery?

For cameras that I am going to keep and use I tend to buy OEM.

But I like to pick up lower cost, previous generation cameras just to play or experiment. If I buy something for $250 to $300, I don't want to spend another $200 on OEM batteries and an L plate for 2-3 months of use.

Trying to research the non-OEM btteries on the forums, what I have seen mentioned most often that people are happy with are the Wasabi batteries. In many cases you can buy 2 Wasabi batteries and a charger at Amazon for $27 to $30.

I haven't had as good of luck with the Flashpoint batteries that I bought.

Sep 19, 2014 at 04:47 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.