Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

chuhsi1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

Amateur question...how do you take family pictures (you're in the picture) with your DF or other FX camera?

I currently use the nikon WU-1A adapter with either the nikon software or dslrdashboard. I find the wireless connection to be flaky and the software responsiveness to be poor. I'll sometimes just set the timer to take bursts of pictures, but the focusing doesn't always work well for me.

I could always try the $200 Nikon adapter and transmitter, but prefer not to spend the money.

Years ago, I used the $15 Nikon infrared shutter release on my d7000 and d40x. It was simple and worked perfectly all the time.

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:15 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

You would be looking for this guy right here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750015-REG/Vello_RW_N2_FreeWave_Wireless_Remote_Shutter.html

RF remote, and half press triggers the AF before the shot just like the shutter button (they key to a good remote IMO). You don't need to buy additional units for other camera types (eg. DC-2 vs 10 pin), only a different cable.

I have 2 of them and they work amazingly well.

Some other options here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909542-REG/vello_fwm_n_freewave_micro_remote_for.html

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:31 PM
andre2112
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

What camera are you using? The self timer should focus just fine. Perhaps share your focus settings for help with that since it seems to be the "real" problem. Are you taking a shot of your group first to review focus ect then hitting the timer and joining them? There really isn't a cheaper AND more reliable option for wireless, in the Wi-Fi arena. Although you can find various remote trigger setups on B&H and such for less than 200, they are radio remotes that will not help fix your focus issue.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:40 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

I have a DF, have focus driven only by the AF button, and use AF-C.

I'd love to use live view with face focusing with the timer. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong?

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:59 PM
andre2112
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

Maybe a DF owner could help more but I think if you set your focus to shutter button instead of AF button the self-timer should lock focus when it snaps the pic..IF the shutter button release is set to focus priority vs release priority. It should be set to focus priority in this instance. Your manual will explain this better. Also AF set to AF_S would seem to be a better choice for what your doing in this case. Hope this helps .

Sep 18, 2014 at 02:54 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

I'm with Canada Mark on the Vello Freewave. works perfectly and is reasonably priced. (That means I don't have a heart attack when I see the price)

Sep 18, 2014 at 04:59 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

having someone else take the photo is always my first choice.

a few times I've set my camera on a tripod, compose my family in the frame, focus, switch to MF, set intervalometer to take a photo every second or two, go join them, tell everyone to smile and look at the camera, crack a joke or two, go back to the camera, stop the intervalometer, and scroll through to make sure you got a couple good ones. Delete the rest in the computer.

Sep 18, 2014 at 05:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

How about simply the self timer?

Sep 18, 2014 at 05:04 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

sjms wrote:
How about simply the self timer?

+1

It's how it's been done for decades, still works well and the self timer sprint always makes the family chuckle.

Sep 18, 2014 at 07:43 PM
Toad23

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

The intervalometer works great for me. Avoids that rush to get into the photo, with each frame, and you can get a lot of photos for each trip. Take lots, delete most of them.

Sep 18, 2014 at 08:55 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

Wifi adapter and Nikon ipad/iphone app

Sep 18, 2014 at 08:57 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

Appreciate all the tips. I think I've just been using the timer wrong (need to set it to shutter-focus and AF-S).

Sep 18, 2014 at 09:50 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Taking pictures wirelessly?

Is there any way to have the self timer or interval timer focus before every shot versus just focusing once and taking a bunch of shots? My young kids rarely stay still for more than a couple seconds :-)

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:39 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.