Thanks for looking,

Bob

Edited on Sep 18, 2014 at 11:41 AM · View previous versions

Sep 18, 2014 at 09:36 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Steam Power + Mono Up

Beautiful, excellent capture, really like the red color on the wheels and train. I would like a little more depth of field in the front and wish the brighter highlights were not there ( like the darker mood ) but I would be VERY HAPPY with this shot. I think I'm seeing some CA, teal color running vertically on the pipes at the right, rear of the steam locomotive, easily removed. Where was it taken?

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:41 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Steam Power + Mono Up

Nice capture ... diggin' the use of your lines.

Gave it a flip and pulled back on the blue/cyan (subjective preference).

NOTE: Often times the blue/cyan indicates a color balance cast issue. Your WB seems "spot on" in the black paint areas not reflecting the sky ... just that the AI=AR of the various surfaces is picking up the sky, so no global WB color adjustments (which would effect the greens/reds) were made, just a desat of the cyan/blue @ S&P to taste.

And, a mono for comp.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:45 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Steam Power + Mono Up

Oregon Gal wrote:
Beautiful, excellent capture, really like the red color on the wheels and train. I would like a little more depth of field in the front and wish the brighter highlights were not there ( like the darker mood ) but I would be VERY HAPPY with this shot. I think I'm seeing some CA, teal color running vertically on the pipes at the right, rear of the steam locomotive, easily removed. Where was it taken?

I can't add much to this, I agree.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Steam Power + Mono Up

Whoa, a color shot from Bob!

Nice pic - I like what Kent did with the flip, but the reds and greens (on my uncalibrated work monitor) look a bit too strong.

Usually I would dig this in mono, but the color is the definite winner for me here.

Jeff

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Steam Power + Mono Up

Thanks folks,

Of course I don't see the CA, nothing new there.

The cast, having the benefit of being there (last December, Simpleveld, NL) of a typical blue, overcast winter's day in that part of Europe. My vision - to look grey & cold.

Some might say needs to be sharper - I will take rich & smooth over sharp and gritty any day (except grunge of course).

Re flip - for me the widening of the diagonals accelerates moving the eye off-frame at right; non-flip, eye moves into the image, eventually that movement blocked by cab-side and bright background.

A RAF processed in ACR (actually only turning off sharpening and dropped exposure to bring clipped highlights back down) and CS6 using techniques taught by Guy Gowan (subscription required).

Had a mono version but lost the ethereal nature of steam and that beyond - need to start again from the color version posted.

Bob

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Steam Power + Mono Up

beavens wrote:
Whoa, a color shot from Bob!

Nice pic - I like what Kent did with the flip, but the reds and greens (on my uncalibrated work monitor) look a bit too strong.

Usually I would dig this in mono, but the color is the definite winner for me here.

Jeff

Sometimes I see the obvious - red trim in this case.

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:22 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Steam Power + Mono Up

Nice one Bob!
Really like the red, the circles/lines, good steam in the background.
I wish the front left assembly was more in-focus.

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Steam Power + Mono Up

FarmerJohn wrote:
Nice one Bob!

Thanks John ,

Yes, would be nice but afraid fixing the focus must wait for our next trip, maybe Christmas a year from now

Mono for those curious

Bob

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:43 AM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Steam Power + Mono Up

Works for me as both color and B&W. I prefer the color though.
Very nice!
Greg

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Steam Power + Mono Up

Wow! Great job on the mono Bob. I have to choose color by a hair based on that red accent.

Sep 18, 2014 at 01:22 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Steam Power + Mono Up

I like the charm of old steam things, especially the play of black iron, bronze bearings and brass fittings with practical elaborations and fancy flourishes.

Sep 18, 2014 at 04:29 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Steam Power + Mono Up

FarmerJohn wrote:
Nice one Bob!

My only nit as well. Very strong image with sense of motion, weight, power. And the red plays well. What about cropping from the left (non-flipped version) to reduce the real estate around the front left assembly, keeping the eye more strongly along the wheels?
Scott

Sep 18, 2014 at 07:20 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Steam Power + Mono Up

sbeme wrote:
My only nit as well. Very strong image with sense of motion, weight, power. And the red plays well. What about cropping from the left (non-flipped version) to reduce the real estate around the front left assembly, keeping the eye more strongly along the wheels?
Scott

Thanks folks,

Think you're onto (not on ) something Scott. Looking back, the see-through area give the impression of a single set of drive-wheels. Changes aspect from 2x3 to 4x5 but...

Sep 18, 2014 at 07:48 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Steam Power + Mono Up

I think this is better.
It works well in mono, BTW. Has a classic look for a classic train. But the vibrant reds add energy to the color comp.
Scott

Sep 18, 2014 at 08:28 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.