New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Editing software

Jashar92

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Editing software

Hello, I'm looking for a good editing software program. I am looking for something user friendly since I am not the best learner, haha.
Thank you.

Sep 17, 2014 at 09:24 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Editing software

what kind of editing, photo wise? What is your budget? I would suggest photoshop, lightroom or at least elements.

Sep 17, 2014 at 09:44 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Editing software

The best editing software is undoubtedly Photo Mechanic that is used by the entire mass media industry.

Sep 17, 2014 at 09:46 PM
Jashar92

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Editing software

Dustin Gent wrote:
what kind of editing, photo wise? What is your budget? I would suggest photoshop, lightroom or at least elements.

Thank you, very basic editing until I learn more. Landscape and macro industrial type stuff. I could spend around $100+. I know this is very elementary, just looking for some input. The last time I spent time with digital editing was about 2004.

Sep 17, 2014 at 09:59 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Editing software

Jashar92 wrote:
Thank you, very basic editing until I learn more. Landscape and macro industrial type stuff. I could spend around $100+. I know this is very elementary, just looking for some input. The last time I spent time with digital editing was about 2004.

my personal choice would be Lightroom . for me it does 95% of what I want without me needing to use Photoshop (which I also have)

for a more photoshop oriented experience the latest (or near latest) Photoshop Elements has most of the tools a photographer needs . It used to be a dumbed down Photoshop but now there isnt that much Dumbing Down .

the other option would in the end blow your budget but will at least do it over many months
Go for the Photoshop CC photographers pack . $9.99 (i think) per month gives you the Full blown Photoshop PLUS Lightroom 5 and if you use an ipad (or maybe an android tab ? ) you get lightroom mobile as well .

yes it will take you over your budget in a year but its the best set of tools (Photoshop is industry standard ) out there .

Sep 18, 2014 at 02:52 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Editing software

Being a "not the best learner" instantly rules out Photoshop. That was easy

Actually, Ps can be handy as something that Lightroom can send photos to for stitching, and so on, because it requires almost no knowledge of how to use Ps.

Lr is a competent editor that does not mess with your original images and does not make new images every time you do an edit. It stores the edit commands and applies them on the fly when required. You can save images as new files if you want to.

Lr also has an excellent image manager that allows you to index images, rate them, label them, apply key words, etc., and then use that info to find what you want when you want it. Also, to get you going without a lot of effort, it can already index the EXIF data that is stored in each image file by the camera, so you can find images based on date, equipment, exposure settings, focal length, etc. Because it is indexed, all of this happens almost instantly without having to search through all of the files every time you want some of them.

- Alan

Sep 18, 2014 at 04:00 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Editing software

mshi wrote:
The best editing software is undoubtedly Photo Mechanic that is used by the entire mass media industry.

Absolutely. But if you are looking for post processing then DPP is your cheapest option, Lightroom possibly the best - IMO.

Sep 18, 2014 at 07:40 AM
Jashar92

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Editing software

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Editing software

Paul's post reminds me that even with Ps and Lr you will still need DPP for Canon images and ViewNX2 for Nikon files in order to see extra info such as which AF sensors were in use and whether or not they were on target. They're very expensive but they come with a free camera so there is no need to toss them away.

- Alan

Edited on Oct 18, 2014 at 03:10 AM · View previous versions

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:35 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Editing software

I use Fast Stone Viewer for a lot of my web work and even some print. It's fast and easy. It's FREE! The download contains no adware or other undesirable stuff.
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Editing software

Alan321 wrote:
. They're very expensive but they come with a free camera

- Alan

Alan I got a FREE 5D3 when I purchased a very expensive copy of LR5 . I was considering tossing the freebee in the bin but I decided to give it a go and kept it

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:23 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Editing software

mshi wrote:

Speaking as someone who has worked as a photojournalist for over 40 years in the "mass media industry" ... one must define the term "edit" BEFORE you proclaim Photo Mechanic to be the "best" ... undoubtedly or otherwise.

PM does a wonderful job in allowing a photographer to quickly ingest, sort, rate, label, keyword and caption images ... which is crucial for deadline work especially on location ... though if the reference of "edit" refers to RAW conversion, color, tone, contrast and other familiar direct image editing capabilities ... PM would rank much lower on the list of options.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:59 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Editing software

Perhaps it's just me but I grew up in an epoch that each photographer well understood "edit" meant image selection.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Editing software

mshi wrote:
Perhaps it's just me but I grew up in an epoch that each photographer well understood "edit" meant image selection.

Agreed. Hence, my concern that we were all discussing the same topic ... many younger (or at least those new to digital photography) inaccurately refer to image manipulation as "editing" ...

Much has changed since the days of sorting chromes on a physical light box ... many words that we once considered their meaning and definitions were chiseled in granite have evolved in the digital age ...

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:40 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Editing software

mshi wrote:

It's not just you. Editing for me was on a light table.
I'd use the word process to describe what the Lightroom does for example and editing to describe BreezeBrowser, Photo Mechanic, etc. used for organization purposes.

EBH

Sep 19, 2014 at 07:24 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Editing software

Sign-up for the Adobe Lightroom 5 demo and then take the Lightroom 5 classes on lynda.com. I like the classes taught by Chris Orwig. You will be up to speed quickly. If it works out for you, then buy Lightroom 5. If it is more than you want to do or spend, consider Adobe Photoshop Elements. Here again, take the Photoshop Elements classes over on lynda.com. Lightroom and Elements are often bundled with other photo equipment and if you are planning other purchases can pick these up for less.

Sep 20, 2014 at 01:44 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Editing software

A few of us are showing our age here I also remember "editing" as viewing the developed film or perhaps a contact sheet to select images for processing - that is printing to photo paper. Depending upon on one's skill - and access to lab equipment - images could also be manipulated with enlargers, burning, dodging and a variety of other skills.

These days editing - for most people - seems to encompass the whole process that with film required discreet steps. For selecting images it is hard to beat PM. For processing (say interpreting the RAW data) there are a wide variety of tools from those provided by camera manufacturers (i.e. DPP from Canon) to Lightroom to a number of choices. With the demise of Aperture,, Lightroom is clearly the most popular software that does some of all of these functions though its cataloging functions are - in my opinion - primitive. Manipulating an image can be done with a vast number of programs most notably Photoshop though there are plenty of competitors.

As UCSB suggests try a Lr 5 demo. It's a bit obscure the first few times thru, but well supported by the community. Past that Elements or other programs give you more manipulation power.

Robert

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:39 AM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Editing software

“I feel a good approach for a photographer is to start by closing his eyes and listening to the voice of his heart. The obsession and intuition that he has never taken notice of can lead him to photograph in the right way. And then the photographer edits the photographs while personally critiquing them. Such an editing process should be the best teacher for that person. I am opposed to taking photographs with the forced intent of a pre-determined concept.

With intelligence and knowledge, a photographer can easily take photographs that can be sold at high prices. But I don’t want people to take photographs of that nature. First of all, one continuously takes a series of photographs. In the subsequent editing process, the concept will emerge. This is also the method I used to create “the Americans.”

— Robert Frank

Oct 01, 2014 at 05:18 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Editing software

mshi wrote:
“I feel a good approach for a photographer is to start by closing his eyes and listening to the voice of his heart. The obsession and intuition that he has never taken notice of can lead him to photograph in the right way. And then the photographer edits the photographs while personally critiquing them. Such an editing process should be the best teacher for that person. I am opposed to taking photographs with the forced intent of a pre-determined concept.

With intelligence and knowledge, a photographer can easily take photographs that can be sold at high prices. But I don’t
...Show more

I, and apparently others here, fully understand your (our) definition of the term "editing" ... which is why I brought up the topic so we could clarify the OP's definition of the term.

Unfortunately, word, terms and phrases have multiple meanings, definitions and purpose of expression ... for if they did not ... dictionaries would be much thinner ... or take up less hard drive space.

Oct 01, 2014 at 07:02 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Editing software

I understood "editing" software to mean Lr, Ps and the like and I'm a mature photographer. Given the nomenclature, a good editing software is Lr. It allows the photographer to categorize, label, rate , catalog and process/edit photographs.

Oct 02, 2014 at 06:55 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.