Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

Photon-hunter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

Hi, just wondering if someone here could confirm what is the maximum number of frames/exposures that can be taken and used in total with the Playmemories Multiple Exposure app? I have watched a few videos but all seem to use just two, and I wonder if this is a limitation of the app? Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Reagards...

Sep 17, 2014 at 02:18 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

Photon-hunter wrote:
Hi, just wondering if someone here could confirm what is the maximum number of frames/exposures that can be taken and used in total with the Playmemories Multiple Exposure app? I have watched a few videos but all seem to use just two, and I wonder if this is a limitation of the app? Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Reagards...

Yes, unfortunately it is. I also have this app on my A7R and felt quite disappointed that it only allowed two exposures to overlay. Bummer! My old SLR allowed up to 9 multi-exposures on one film negative....

Sep 17, 2014 at 02:33 PM
Photon-hunter
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

Thanks for your answer, that´s what I feared. What a stupid limitation, if you ask me. Oh well, in my perfect universe...

Sep 17, 2014 at 02:38 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

Agreed, it's a crazy limitation.

Sep 17, 2014 at 02:41 PM
Photon-hunter
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

I love my Nex7 to pieces, best camera I´ve had (and I´ve had a few). Hope to keep using for a long while. Was willing to buy a used Nex6 or 5R just for the multi-exposure thing, but that plan just went out the window. I´d rather buy a backup Nex7, love it that much...

Sep 17, 2014 at 02:47 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

I haven't explored this aspect of my newly acquired A6000 yet, but looking at the website it seems they have a couple of other apps which are also effectively multiple exposure app but each is dedicated to a specific use. There is the Motion Shot app which combines multiple (more than two) shots into a single one to show multiple copies of a moving object and there is the smooth reflection app to simulate long exposure by blending a series of short exposures. Both of them seem to allow a large number of pictures to be blended and it seems to me that the motion shot app in particular can be used as a general purpose multiple exposure app:

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-000006

Sep 17, 2014 at 02:58 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

Well I should take it back. I suppose it will only allow you to combine images from a burst whereas you might be looking to combine multiple exposure from completely different shots, not necessarily taken right after each other/

Sep 17, 2014 at 03:03 PM
Photon-hunter
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

Thanks for looking into it and for your kind reply... I guess I´ll stick to old good photoshop...

Sep 17, 2014 at 03:21 PM
dannat

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

i believe the star trails app will let you combine multiple shots -what type of scene are you planning to shoot?

Sep 17, 2014 at 05:26 PM
Photon-hunter
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

Basically trying to emulate a multi-shot like the ones you can do with film, but with more than two frames. Working on a project that involves architecture, people and multiple exposures...

Sep 17, 2014 at 07:00 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

Photon-hunter wrote:
Thanks for looking into it and for your kind reply... I guess I´ll stick to old good photoshop...

Yes, I have a similar issue with this app - I find it very misleading from Sony to claim it as multiexposure app and then only allowing 2 exposures to be blended. PS is not really helpful here - you can't easily recreate a real multiexposure image in PS. I did this a few times with film, attached is one example:

http://martinbluhm.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v92/p1789393461-5.jpg

Sep 18, 2014 at 06:58 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

That's where I used the Sony multiexposure app to overlay two exposures:

http://martinbluhm.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v120/p435596615-5.jpg

Sep 18, 2014 at 07:22 AM
Photon-hunter
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

Thanks for your examples. I like the film one!. I have found that the most realistic way of achieving a multiple exposure that resembles one taken in-camera with Photoshop is using the "screen" blending mode on every layer. You need to make sure that if your multiple exposure consists of five shots, for instance, every shot is underexposed by roughly five stops (just as you would do with film) to prevent overexposure (the screen mode is additive, basically sums the values of all the different exposures). Now, I have found that shooting every frame more or less properly exposed and then underexposing with Camera Raw previous to the stacking produces less noise than actually underexposing in-camera, so I underexpose the images and then apply the "screen" mode to every layer in the stack. How much you underexpose each image is also part of the interpretation of the scene and can give a lot of play... Hope this makes sense.

Sep 18, 2014 at 01:48 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

You should be able to get a similar effect by putting the 5 properly exposed shots on 5 layers in PS and set the opacity of each to 20%.

Sep 18, 2014 at 02:14 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

retrofocus wrote:
...... PS is not really helpful here - you can't easily recreate a real multiexposure image in PS. ....

I am pretty sure that the Sony App does not do a true multi-exposure like you do with film. It just captures two shots and then blends them into one. I highly doubt they are doing anything that can't be done in PS.

Sep 18, 2014 at 02:17 PM
Photon-hunter
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

curious80 wrote:
You should be able to get a similar effect by putting the 5 properly exposed shots on 5 layers in PS and set the opacity of each to 20%.

I have tried that, but in my experience the results are different. Using the opacity method the final image is usually "mushy" for lack of a better term, and has uglier shadows. I tend to get cleaner and more pleasing results using the blend mode... Might just be me.

Sep 18, 2014 at 02:27 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

Sorry I didn't mean that you just do a simple stack without a blending mode. What I meant was that instead of underexposing in raw conversion, you could set the opacity of each layer to 20% while using the screen blending mode or whichever blending mode you are using. But it is true that it would still not be the same as underexposing first and then blending.

Sep 18, 2014 at 02:32 PM
Photon-hunter
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony Playmemories Multiple exposure app question.

Oh, I see what you mean now, sorry, my bad. Thanks for pointing that out...

Sep 18, 2014 at 03:29 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.