Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · HS lighting & SOCCER

schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS lighting & SOCCER

High School lighting is notorious for football and you can bet its even worse for the soccer teams that don't bring in the larger crowds and revenue. Although none of these are especially great, I thought it would be a reasonable selection to point out just what the 1DX is capable of along with a bit of LR PP work. Last night I also experimented with spot exposure (#2) since the light fall-off on this field really, well... just plain sucks!
Oddly enough with spot exposure on I also got #5 - go figure

Matt

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:03 AM
flyfishertoo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS lighting & SOCCER

Forgetting anything else about the 1DX, which I don't personally know, I have always been impressed with how clean your shots are at high ISO.

All nice photos, but I really like no. 2. Peak of action, and the GK eyes on the ball.

Don

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:26 AM
scottiet
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS lighting & SOCCER

Great shots!

Sep 17, 2014 at 01:07 PM
TSpyers
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS lighting & SOCCER

Gotta love night time soccer under the lights! The 1DX cleans up so nice at high ISO, even compared to my 1DMKIV. Great shots Matt, #2 & #5 for me.

Tim

Sep 17, 2014 at 01:23 PM
dartheyeball
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS lighting & SOCCER

I cry everytime I look at one of your threads! Your images are always stunning. Makes me wish I had a newer body!

Sep 17, 2014 at 01:31 PM
MDelinquento
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS lighting & SOCCER

Superb everything. I'm going to have to get lower to the ground when I shoot the next match. Hopefully my knees will behave.

M

Sep 17, 2014 at 02:46 PM
ENPPhotography

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS lighting & SOCCER

Crisp and Clean, nice! #1 and #5 are my favs.

Phil

Sep 17, 2014 at 03:51 PM
tmalone893
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS lighting & SOCCER

Very nice Matt. I've never pushed the 5D3 above iso12,800 but these look really good at 25,600. #1 and #2 for me.
Theron

Sep 17, 2014 at 04:03 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS lighting & SOCCER

Hey Tim: yeah #2 came out good, while #5 turned out ok I was surprised the spot exposure setting allowed the Auto-ISO to stop at 6400 vs higher up. The shot came out ok but its darker than I wanted it to be. Your can lower the exposure in PP on high ISO 1DX shots easily but I'm not fond of pushing them up much. Agree with you, without a doubt the X cleans up better than the IV ever did for me. Thanks for looking!

Darth - thanks for the comment

MDell - it's not the knees I worry about 'cause I'm usually on my butt

Phil - thanks for stopping by

Scott - thank you

Don - agreed #2 is my fav as well. ISO noise can really be a bugger to clean up depending on a number of variables but I can say the easiest time I've had so far is with the 1DX files. Thanks for stopping buy bud!

Sep 17, 2014 at 04:10 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HS lighting & SOCCER

tmalone893 wrote:
Very nice Matt. I've never pushed the 5D3 above iso12,800 but these look really good at 25,600. #1 and #2 for me.
Theron

For me it's been all about the exposure setting, ergo the +0.3 EV setting
Thanks for stopping by Theron.

Sep 17, 2014 at 04:15 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.