Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

I think the 50D body was actually a step up, both in build and features (from memory) but there was something about those 15 meg RAW files that just didn't gel - they were noisy, over saturated and didn't PP well.

I noticed this almost from the first day and then once you lose confidence in something like that there's no recovering it.

I'm sure many produced and still do produce great images with the 50D but I just couldn't live with it. It's about the only dslr I've felt like that about.

Sep 19, 2014 at 06:07 AM
kapytalyst
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

The only Canon dSLRs I haven't owned are the 1ds 3, the 1dx, and a handful of the Rebels.

I've been stupidly happy with all of them.

(I used to own some Nikons, d3100, d700, d2x, but don't anymore...)

I agree with the notion that the 40d is the first of the xxd series that got most everything right.

Sep 19, 2014 at 09:35 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

kapytalyst wrote:
The only Canon dSLRs I haven't owned are the 1ds 3, the 1dx, and a handful of the Rebels.

I've been stupidly happy with all of them.

+1

As someone who has been involved professionally all my life and started with 20 years of film, dslr's were and are an utter godsend to me.

This is why I hate the nit-picking around here, these digital slr cameras are BY FAR the finest, most cost-effective picture taking devices ever known on the planet and we are fortunate to be the first generation using them.

They are now almost all universally excellent and tiny features like a couple of stops DR or a few meg there shouldn't render one perfect and another unusable, but that is the magnification of the web forum.

Rejoice in what we have and enjoy the benefits of future tech as it comes along, we are very lucky.

40D's still take great pictues in the right hands
http://500px.com/search?q=40D&submit=Submit+Query&type=photos

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:34 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

Frankly, I don't understand our sentimental attachment we can have for "old" gear, they're just tools.
But I still hold a fondness for my old Canon 40D.
Somehow Canon just got things right with that one. It wasn't the best camera when it was introduced, and has been surpassed by most everything since, but for me it represented all the things I wanted at the time.
None of the cameras I've bought since then have given such a sense of overall satisfaction.

This topic has peaked my interest about my shots from the past.
The 40D produced my all-time favorite shot from 2008 shown here.
I've re-processed this image over the years and with the advancement of software, I've been able to get more and more quality out of the small 10MP image.

Edited on Sep 19, 2014 at 11:00 AM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM
mikedec
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

I still enjoy using my 40D. I did three wedding videos this summer for friends and used the 5D, 70D, and 7D for that.

I often put the 70-200 mark I on the 40D and bring it along and take some stills with it or hand it to someone and let them use it to take some stills.

It is still very useable. I still have a 10D around, but find that I do not use that very often due to the small screen. Whenever I use the 10D in a high speed burst I think that the camera is broken because of the comparison to the other camera bodies.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM
veroman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

ricsha wrote:
I've got a 40D with under 2K uses on it I was ready to send to eBay; but after reading this maybe I should rethink that and keep it. Thanks for the thread/

You're welcome. Yeah, keep it. By the time you deduct the ebay and PayPal fees, you'd get very little for it. The 40D should serve you well for many years, as mine has.
- Steve

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:13 AM
veroman
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

dhphoto wrote:
I much preferred the 40D to the 50D, even though the 50D LCD was better and it had more features I just couldn't get on with the sensor, I just didn't like the images from it, so I bought another 40D instead

I had a 50D for a time as well. There was much discussion about that camera by enthusiasts and pros alike. A lot of them said that the lenses used with it were more of an issue than the camera sensor itself. I didn't buy into that. I sold mine about 2 months after I purchased it. The files just never looked quite right.
- Steve

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:17 AM
veroman
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

surf monkey wrote:
.... None of the cameras I've bought since then have given such a sense of overall satisfaction ....

That's one of the things that makes the 40D still such a great camera. The "overall satisfaction" when using it is about as high as it gets. Love your pic. Great black and white rendering.
- Steve

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

Ive had the 30D - 40D and 50D from the XXD line (as well as a few other bodies).

the 30D was nothing special compared to my 350D at the time and while the 50D was probably better than the 40D in most ways to use it just didnt offer enough of an upgrade to be worth keeping (I sold it quite soon after getting and made a small profit ) .my 7D however was the jump up from the 40D to be worthwhile .

that said looking back I think my 80-200L was happiest on the 40D . it just delivered SOOC or required very little work in LR .

nothing special but I was just scanning back thru the old stuff

http://dobbie-id.smugmug.com/For-fm/i-CWsT88F/0/XL/France%20Holiday%202010-3660-XL.jpg
http://dobbie-id.smugmug.com/For-fm/i-8nMbKWD/0/L/France%20Holiday%202010-3697-L.jpg

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:20 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

surf monkey wrote:
Frankly, I don't understand our sentimental attachment we can have for "old" gear, they're just tools.
But I still hold a fondness for my old Canon 40D.
Somehow Canon just got things right with that one. It wasn't the best camera when it was introduced, and has been surpassed by most everything since, but for me it represented all the things I wanted at the time.
None of the cameras I've bought since then have given such a sense of overall satisfaction.

This topic has peaked my interest about my shots from the past.
The 40D produced my all-time favorite shot from 2008 shown
...Show more

Eric, what a wonderful image of Yosemite Valley, your post efforts really shine, it's the high light of the thread so far, would look great framed on any wall

I've my first SLR, a Canon A-1 and my first DSLR the 40D, and they will sit proudly on a shelf when finally retired, right beside an Yashica Electro 35 rangefinder that this 35mm journey began with. Why on earth keep them, just because

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:57 PM
jasonp1
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

I still shoot with my 40D...It does a fine job:
2 days ago
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3878/15112483037_92e00f2172_b.jpg
last week
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3901/14999257635_bfa08743f8_b.jpg

Sep 22, 2014 at 08:21 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

The 30D has better DR to me, but the 40d was probably my favorite camera, ever. Still using 30D.

FF has better noise than aps-c. The shutter only died after impact on 40D
Probably had over 100K on it.

Colors better on 40D, so I turned up the color on 30D. AF seemed better on 40D. Loaned my 30D to a teenager yesterday, he got great photos in bright sun, probably harder on a new body.

I don't necessarily like to switch gear on a regular basis. If I could have gotten a digital back, I'd probably still be shooting an OM 1.

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:21 AM
veroman
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

jasonp1 wrote:
I still shoot with my 40D...It does a fine job:
2 days ago
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3878/15112483037_92e00f2172_b.jpg
last week
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3901/14999257635_bfa08743f8_b.jpg

Jason: beautiful, sharp, realistic images! What lens was used on the bird shot?
- Steve

Sep 23, 2014 at 03:37 PM
jasonp1
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

veroman wrote:
Jason: beautiful, sharp, realistic images! What lens was used on the bird shot?
- Steve

Thanks, It was a canon 40D and Canon 400mm 5.6 L

Sep 23, 2014 at 04:38 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Let's not forget about the 40D ...

I tested the 40D and 5D in a local dealers and decided the 40D was the better camera....so bought it. Did eventually buy a 5D as well.....and still use both in a studio environment, along with MF film.

With both cameras I found the newer versions of PS allowed me to go back over old (raw) files and get even better results.

I did think of upgrading a few times...then decided that if I couldn't get quality images with those bodies the problem was me not my kit. If I had money to waste I would have been tempted I guess.....

Sep 23, 2014 at 05:27 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.