New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · A little advice about selling my gear

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A little advice about selling my gear

I posted this over in reddit and it didn't get much of a response so I would like your guys opinions.

Alright I tend to drone on with back story so I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet.
I picked up photography when I was in 9th grade and with in a year I upgraded to a DSLR. My mom was very supportive as she once was a manager at a photo studio. So with her encouragement and a summer of working I soon had about $1000 in photo equipment. I kept shooting all during high school and developed a love for sports photography. But during the down seasons I had about $2500 worth of gear that would just sit around. This past summer was the worst up until now. I'm in college hoping that I would have time to go out and shoot local college and high school sports, butI have little to no time. So I decided to sell my gear and hopefully pick it up after college. I figured I pretty much failed with getting a successful website going because I didn't go all in and I could use some extra spending cash.

So I decided it was best to sell my gear. I told my mom and she said that I shouldn't. I explained to her, told her I had no time, I'm going to a small college with no photo club, and there's just no demand for sports photos right now. So then she said to sell the gear to her. I've sold her my old 2nd body(Canon Rebel XS) and I've let her use a ton of my gear for sports events, concerts and what not. But this is a whole different thing. She would like to buy over $2000 worth of photo gear(Canon 7D, Canon 70-200f/2.8, Canon 17-40, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 430EX and misc. accessories) from me. I know why she wants to do it, but I feel guilty doing it almost. She wants to buy it to me and basically give it to me to use any time. I really don't want to sell it to her for the around $2500 or so I would ask from sale. So should I just give it to her, sell it to her full price and buy it back later, or give it all to her for like $500 or so? What would you do? It's really nice, but I feel almost guilty doing it.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A little advice about selling my gear

That is entirely up to you. Not sure why you are asking others when you and your Mom should be able to sort it out.

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A little advice about selling my gear

It appears that "First National Bank of Mommy" is giving you a $2,500 loan with your camera equipment as collateral

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:16 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A little advice about selling my gear

riokid wrote:
It appears that "First National Bank of Mommy" is giving you a $2,500 loan with your camera equipment as collateral

Truly, I think your Mom really just wants to help you out while allowing you to continue developing your skills in what could become a healthy life long hobby. Though most of the people in the gear forums here have GAS to one degree or another

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A little advice about selling my gear

kezeka wrote:
Though most of the people in the gear forums here have GAS to one degree or another

Or one kind or another.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:49 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A little advice about selling my gear

The lenses will hold their value, so that isn't too much of a concern. I assume that their isn't a lot of residual value left in the body? Maybe $150?

The one thing about having photo equipment is that you can sell it later or trade to get what you need at the time. Once the money is spent ...

The things that you love will stay with you through your life. I took photos when I was 7 or 8, I still or it as much 40+ years later.

The first car that I owned, I "bought" from my mom., When I was done paying for it, she gave me the cash back. Being a parent, you learn to get real joy from giving to your children, I never understood that when i was young. I always felt guilty for taking things.

Figure it out with her. Make up a timeline - maybe 2 years? If you don't use it by then, maybe sell it?

Don't fight too hard, Don't worry about the parents money, This is all pretty small compared to 4 years at college.

FWIW, I just bought a Fuji X-M1 for $400 with the kit lens. Maybe buy something like that, or a Canon EOS M for $250?? Something to play with.

Or maybe you will meet a woman who needs photos for her acting head shots and need your kit, plus some lighting ...

Good luck.
Michael

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:54 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A little advice about selling my gear

Your mom loves you and wants to help you in any way she can, and is also hoping that you get some (more) fulfillment from photography.

You're younger than me, so I'll share an anecdote about my youth:

My dad was always supportive of my photography in high school. He'd give me some money here and there to buy film and have it processed; never once did he say anything like "you shot all that film already?" or "not now, son". He was never too busy to go over photography with me.

He'd let me borrow his camera, then for Christmas of my junior year he bought me own Canon EOS SLR. Every time I brought prints back from the lab he'd take the time to go through each one and say whether he liked it or if not, and why. He didn't move at a slow pace, mind you, but he took the time.

What I'm getting at, is that parents will remember fondly what they took from hobbies, jobs, or certain times in their life, and they can sense when their children too may (or may not!) derive the same pleasure from flexing a similar "muscle".

You mom wants to help you out in what I see is a positive way, just like my old man did. I look back at it with a lot of fondness.

About image making: sometimes you don't feel it; right now I don't. But keep shooting!

And to Canon: you own my dad a lot of gratitude! I could have been a Maxxum shooter....

Sep 17, 2014 at 01:27 AM
Ischgl99
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A little advice about selling my gear

If I were in your shoes, I would look for other things to photograph while at college and build your skills instead of selling the equipment. Instead of sports, maybe try some wildlife. If you wanted to keep doing sports photography, see if your college has a student run newspaper and if so, try to become the photographer.

It sounds from your post that you might be a Freshman. If that is the case then it is not unusual to be overwhelmed and think you don't have time for yourself. An important skill you learn in college is time management and if you do that right, you will find the time you need to enjoy your passions and get your studying done as well.

Sep 17, 2014 at 07:36 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A little advice about selling my gear

Is it possible she just wants the gear for herself? Either way it's keeping it in the family, which is probably a good thing (you can buy it back or borrow it if you ever need it). Any time you sell anything, you're going to take at least a little bit of a hit on the value.

I remember after all of us kids went off to college, then my parents became the typical "empty nesters", suddenly started doing a bunch of things they never had time to do otherwise. They started traveling, photography, volunteering, etc. One time when I came back from College, my dad suddenly had a whole collection of digital cameras and even gave me one as a gift. The largest photography club in my town has a lot of people like this, so it's probably not the most uncommon thing for a parent to take up photography when their kids go off to college.

If nothing else I would ask for the Rebel back and keep the 50mm. For simple portraiture and things like that. I remember my first year in College, I probably could have used something like that.

Edited on Sep 17, 2014 at 10:47 AM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A little advice about selling my gear

Photography?

You need to concentrate on grades...and girls (assuming you are a guy)...but not necessarily in that order. Photography is a life long possibility.

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:44 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A little advice about selling my gear

Sometimes parents just do nice things for their kids like this. Accept and be grateful.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A little advice about selling my gear

I just finished an engineering degree not too long ago. As a person who was probably not naturally smart enough to achieve the degree, I spent most of my time studying and doing work. Not exactly that exciting college experience that you hear about.

I didn't have a lot of time to enjoy photography whenever I wanted. However, I kept all my gear (even upgraded some). And now I am able to use it much more frequently.

Also, maybe take some time to try photographing other things and see if you enjoy things other than sports. My photography interest started in high school doing sports shots for the schools newspaper. Throughout college, I found a lot of opportunity to get into macro and portraits. You don't have to travel to far for those and can even do a little in that random hour of free time you find.

I'd bet if you sold off everything, there is a good chance you would "get over" photography and be unwilling to reinvest that much money to get back into. Especially once you start adding all the real world bills. Your lenses aren't going to lose a lot of value so there isn't much advantage of selling them now vs after college if you still aren't interested. Maybe sell that extra body for real though as you can still technically use the rest of your equipment without it.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:50 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A little advice about selling my gear

mmurph wrote:
The lenses will hold their value, so that isn't too much of a concern. I assume that their isn't a lot of residual value left in the body? Maybe $150?

FWIW, I just bought a Fuji X-M1 for $400 with the kit lens. Maybe buy something like that, or a Canon EOS M for $250?? Something to play with.

The body is a 7D so it's about $600 or so. And I love sports photography the most but I love it all. Just sports gets more loving. It's hard to do sports photography without decent gear.

---------------------------------------------

Access wrote:
Is it possible she just wants the gear for herself? Either way it's keeping it in the family, which is probably a good thing (you can buy it back or borrow it if you ever need it). Any time you sell anything, you're going to take at least a little bit of a hit on the value.

That's what I figured, but I don't think she would want the gear after using it a while. The 70-200 is too heavy for her and she has a 18-55 along with a 55-250 so that's 18-250mm covered with 2 lenses. She's pretty happy with that right now. The body would be nice though.

---------------------------------------------

galenapass wrote:
Photography?

You need to concentrate on grades...and girls (

Haha I wish there were girls here. It's an IT and engineering school. The ratio is about 5:1 :/

Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to talk with her about it and 'negotiate'

Sep 17, 2014 at 01:53 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A little advice about selling my gear

Sorry, I missed the 7D in the line break. i had seen this when I said not to worry about the body depreciation:

(Canon Rebel XS)

If you think you won't use it soon, you might sell the &d now, then pick us a used 7DII or similar in the future. Or a 6D if you change directions, etc. The lenses don't depreciate like the bodies do (usually.)

Good luck!

Sep 17, 2014 at 05:27 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A little advice about selling my gear

That is a very loving mother

Sep 17, 2014 at 07:07 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A little advice about selling my gear

Even if you're in school, there's no reason why you can't carry your camera with you and shoot whatever you see when you're out.

Sep 18, 2014 at 08:10 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A little advice about selling my gear

Having been out of college for 37 years, I can tell you when I found some of my fraternity photos and put them on line 35 years later people were amazed and it brought back a lot of memories for everyone.

You need something or you will be sorry later. The time in school goes by very fast! Take photos, that and memory will be all you have!

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Ccugolf
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A little advice about selling my gear

No photo club?.... Start one.

As others have mentioned just Carry the camera and document your fun. I have almost no photos from college and 20yrs later I wish I did.

Throw a 50 mm lens on and have fun.

If you think you don't have time in college just wait til you have a family and kids..... You have no idea how free you are.

What college are you going to? Study hard but have FUN!

Sep 18, 2014 at 08:24 PM
coogee
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A little advice about selling my gear

No offence to you intended, you've been honest enough to post your situation and motivation (assuming any of it is true of course - this is the internet!), but sheesh, it seems like your Mom has really funded/enabled your photography to date. Now here she is trying to do the same and you are still considering cashing in on her support for "some extra spending cash".

I would wake up to yourself!

Keep the camera equipment. Find ways to use it. The point above ^, about this being a very fleeting time and that if you think you're 'too busy' now you are in for a real surprise down the track, is so very sage.

Stop using your Mom. Keep your gear and put it to use. Or sell it to' the market' for a little cash that will quickly disappear leaving you with nada.

You say you had a "love for sports photography" but then you talk about it like a failed business venture. Is the gear only intended to be used for running a sports photography business? I'm getting mixed messages there.

You need to front up to your Mom that you don't enjoy/want to pursue photography if that's your choice, but stop kidding yourself you'll be buying it all back from her, or that the deal on the table is OK.

I think most of the responses to date have been horribly soft! It sounds like you know what is right and wrong here. You even admit to feeling "almost guilty" (what would it take for you to actually feel guilty?!)

That's my 2c. Like I said, no offence intended, good luck with your 'dilemma'

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:20 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A little advice about selling my gear

gdanmitchell wrote:
Sometimes parents just do nice things for their kids like this. Accept and be grateful.

If your Mother can afford the expenditure, let her have it. She will be blessed knowing she was able to help... Jim

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.