A young lad framed.

Royal Welsh Show, Abergavenny, Wales

Like the tighter crop much better - the door behind did nothing

Sep 16, 2014 at 05:25 PM
ICE B1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Doorman Matte

Very nicely done. I actually like the door behind as it gives context for the door in front. Without the back door, the front door is just an expanse of gray without explanation. I'd either crop both doors out and just have the portrait, or crop the doors evenly so they're balanced on either side of him.

Either way, great shot. Well done!

Sep 17, 2014 at 07:58 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Doorman Matte

I love the shots. These are well done. But I still see "an expanse of grey without explanation". That would lead me to crop the grey and the door away entirely.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:13 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Doorman Matte

Thanks for the feedback and kind comments. I don't know the wider shot has a very different feel for me. I tend to lean to the tight version. And for me the odd grey space works because it slices up the image and calls the viewer in for a second look. It breaks the rules but with a good result. If it was cropped out it would be a standard portrait crop with an unexplained shadow on his hat/ face. The tighter crop also allows one to more clearly see the worn rim on his bowler. I got off this single frame as a grab shot on a 300 before he disappeared behind the door. Good fun. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:15 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.