FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12       13       end

Archive 2014 · New 400 DO MkII musings

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · New 400 DO MkII musings

Indeed Peter, there may have been a recent post about whiners or something, blowing off steam in public can be refreshing on occasion...I still like my joust idea tho

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:34 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · New 400 DO MkII musings

Maestro, you were to put me on your "hide me" list as well, but I know that my postings are irresistible.

Looking at the 7D files, I was certain there was a swarm of flies in the camera incessantly pooping on the sensor. I didn't know how to flush the poops. In desperation I even called a plumber.

Imagemaster wrote: "Well Tamron and Sigma….will be showing Canon the marketing gap...."

So you aspire to become: Imagemaster, Über crystal-gazer and Business Meister?
No wonder you are confused with so many desires. Have you written to Santa? The Season is almost upon us. Don’t delay.

Sep 28, 2014 at 08:53 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · New 400 DO MkII musings

Here's some new 400 DO MkII purchase info of particular interest to Canadian members:

The CPS price (independently confirmed) is $6,899 CDN plus the usual taxes (13% for many) and shipping charges, which makes the total come close to $7,850 CDN.
The best delivery estimate I've got so far is December this year. Knowing how those things usually go with Canon's long lens introductions, I am expecting to get the lens perhaps in early 2015, or even later than that.

Incidentally, I will probably take my 400 DO MkI off the B&S board, since there seems to be a prevalent buyers' expectation now that the lens should sell for a song because the MkII is here. Should anybody be interested in buying the lens sometime in the future, just drop me a PM and we'll talk, assuming that the lens will still be available.

Sep 28, 2014 at 09:41 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · New 400 DO MkII musings

Come on now, you can pick one up in November for only $7,292CDN from here:

https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/canon-ef-400mm-f-4-do-is-ii-usm

You can pick it up in person and go on safari while you are there.

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:22 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · New 400 DO MkII musings

Imagemaster wrote:
Come on now, you can pick one up in November for only $7,292CDN from here:

https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/canon-ef-400mm-f-4-do-is-ii-usm

You can pick it up in person and go on safari while you are there.

That's quite cheap: 73,495 Indian Rupees amount to only $1,335 CDN. Enough money would be saved to go shootin' Bengal tigers there.

Edited on Sep 28, 2014 at 11:23 PM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · New 400 DO MkII musings

PetKal wrote:
That's quite cheap: 73,495 Indian Rupees amount to only $1,335 CDN. Enough money would be saved to go shootin' Bengal tigers there.

So that is why you have so many white lenses...

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · New 400 DO MkII musings

Sneakyracer wrote:
So that is why you have so many white lenses...

Yeah, he gets easily confused between Rands and Rupees, and Cape Town and Calcutta.

Sep 28, 2014 at 02:01 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · New 400 DO MkII musings

Yesterday I shot Scratching pijuns with 1DX + 400 f/2.8 IS MkII, handheld.
Today I shot Scratching pijuns with 1DX + 400 DO Classic, handheld.

There is certainly a big difference in the physical effort required between those two, while the difference in IQ is not a deal breaker. That difference in the physical effort becomes even more meaningful and important as our arm strength vanes.

If 400 DO MkII succeeds performance wise, I feel there might not be an 800L MkII down the line. Instead, Canon might spring a 3.5 kg light 800 DO upon us.

Edited on Oct 10, 2014 at 08:58 PM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2014 at 01:23 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · New 400 DO MkII musings

“At Canon, we see impossible…”

They only see, not do, impossible, so the 3.5kg, 800 mm looks like a dream pipe or a pipe dream, whatever. It may also explain Canon constipation regarding delivery of a better sensor. BTW, what’s the latest ETA quote for the DO?

I just found your other shots from the 400 and the Classic DO looks better. Maybe you should reconsider upgrading. The latest isn’t always the greatest.

Oct 08, 2014 at 04:41 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · New 400 DO MkII musings

Lan11 wrote:
“At Canon, we see impossible…”

They only see, not do, impossible, so the 3.5kg, 800 mm looks like a dream pipe or a pipe dream, whatever. It may also explain Canon constipation regarding delivery of a better sensor. BTW, what’s the latest ETA quote for the DO?

I just found your other shots from the 400 and the Classic DO looks better. Maybe you should reconsider upgrading. The latest isn’t always the greatest.

When looking at Canon's communications, one might become confused about the talent, or lack thereof, behind it. Similarly, when having dealings with Canon distributors such as Canon USA/Canada, I have often wondered how it is possible that such a bunch of deadbeats survive in their business.

Yet, there is another side of Canon Inc. which is much more important to us who use their gears. Canon Inc. must obviously employ legions of excellent technical people, innovators and master makers, and then there are very clever administrative, executive and business leaders who have grown Canon into the dominant photography equipment house in the world.
That is the real Canon that is bringing 400 DO MkII to us, and who knows, perhaps 800 DO might be in the development stage already.

Oct 08, 2014 at 06:19 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · New 400 DO MkII musings

This is what I want. A light 800 5.6 do. With an extender on a 7d2 thats about 1800mm!

Chris

PetKal wrote:
Yesterday I shot Scratching pijuns with 1DX + 400 f/2.8 IS MkII, handheld.
Today I shot Scratching pijuns with 1DX + 400 DO Classic, handheld.

There is certainly a big difference in the physical effort required between those two, while the difference in IQ is not a deal breaker. That difference in the physical effort becomes even more meaningful and important as our arm strength vanes.

If 400 DO MkII succeeds performance wise, I feel there might not be an 800L MkII down the line. Instead, Canon might spring a 3.5 kg light 800 DO upon us.

Oct 08, 2014 at 06:29 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · New 400 DO MkII musings

Schlotkins wrote:
This is what I want. A light 800 5.6 do. With an extender on a 7d2 thats about 1800mm!

Chris

Chris, you see, we know what we need.
Even at best of times the current 800L has been a bit of a pig to use handheld. I am not sure I'd be able to do it again. But no matter what, the lens works great off a pod for slow/stationary targets, and there are lighter and better lens (combo) options for handheld shooting of BIF and such.

If 400 DO excels IQ wise, that would strengthen my hunch that the 800 is the next lens to receive the DO makeover.

Edited on Oct 08, 2014 at 06:39 PM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2014 at 06:38 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · New 400 DO MkII musings

When shooting pijuns beware of the WILDlife

Edited on Oct 08, 2014 at 06:50 PM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2014 at 06:39 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · New 400 DO MkII musings

Jerry, I've enjoyed watching the video, Chelsea and Tony perform real well in that clever little satire piece. Good work.

Oct 08, 2014 at 06:49 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · New 400 DO MkII musings

PetKal wrote:
Jerry, I've enjoyed watching the video, Chelsea and Tony perform real well in that clever little satire piece. Good work.

Peter, glad you liked it, hope the chuckles-n-giggles didn't hurt thy shoulder too much, the vid made my day after a rather long eve of involuntary dance floor moves

Oct 08, 2014 at 06:53 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · New 400 DO MkII musings

PetKal wrote: “…when having dealings with Canon distributors such as Canon USA/Canada, I have often wondered how it is possible that such a bunch of deadbeats survive in their business…”

It is superior technology, products and support plus customers loyalty that allows excellent companies to survive in trying times. The case in point is Apple. Between departure and come back of S. Jobs as CEO, there was a long parade of idiots trying to run Apple business while press was predicting Apple’s death every week. But Canon is only going thru difficult times in the eyes of the whiners on the Internet fora. They expect new and better and cheaper camera every Xmas which most of them can't efford.
Canon has its share of deadwood, but did you deal with Nikon? I had that misfortune.

If the new lens proves to be the top performer, as I expect, you don’t have to wait for the 3.5 kg 800 DO. The 800/8 at 2.5kg is here. It definitely isn’t the fastest, but certainly more manageable and hand holdable than any 800 native pipe.

Oct 10, 2014 at 08:49 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · New 400 DO MkII musings

Lan11 wrote:
If the new lens proves to be the top performer, as I expect, you don’t have to wait for the 3.5 kg 800 DO. The 800/8 at 2.5kg is here. It definitely isn’t the fastest, but certainly more manageable and hand holdable than any 800 native pipe.

The nominal aperture f/8 is a valley of photographic sadness.

Oct 10, 2014 at 04:36 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · New 400 DO MkII musings

PetKal wrote:
The nominal aperture f/8 is a valley of photographic sadness.

. I think the man issue is always the loss of AF speed once you get the 2x on there. The 1.4x isn't a big deal, but 2x tends to be a word of hurt. That's why even a 600 5.6 would better. 840 f8 would only require a 1.4.

Chris

Oct 10, 2014 at 06:24 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · New 400 DO MkII musings

Schlotkins wrote:
. I think the man issue is always the loss of AF speed once you get the 2x on there. The 1.4x isn't a big deal, but 2x tends to be a word of hurt. That's why even a 600 5.6 would better. 840 f8 would only require a 1.4.

Chris

The AF drive speed takes a hit twice at f/8 (i.e., an f/4 lens + 2xTC):
(1) The lens AF drive speed has an automatic setback by 75% once 2xTC is detected on the lens.
(2) The camera's AF routine slows down and becomes halting, because phase signal sample rate is much lower, since focussing is done at f/8.

Moreover, the AF configuration is crippled too: only center AF sensor is left to do the job at f/8 nominal aperture. On stationary targets one may do AF and recompose, however, AF (and shot composition/framing) becomes straightjacketed on moving targets.

Oct 10, 2014 at 06:53 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · New 400 DO MkII musings

PetKal wrote:
“The nominal aperture f/8 is a valley of photographic sadness.”

A 4.5 kg lens+1.5 kg camera is pure user’s delight and guaranteed euphoria of an orthopedic surgeon booking a surgery for the spine, shoulder and both wrists.

Schlotkins wrote:
"I think the man issue is always the loss of AF speed once you get the 2x on….”

The man’s issue isn't the loss of speed “once he gets his 2X on”, but always his ego, especially when it comes to showing off who has got the longest and biggest pipe.

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:00 AM
       12       13       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

12       13       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.