FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

steve g
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

If anyone's interested.

I think the new features will need to be tested before passing judgement.?

What think you all?

Sep 16, 2014 at 05:01 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

Time will tell, and I'll take another look at it. But to be honest I prefer Lightroom; having tried C1 on a number of occasions. My biggest problem is that Adobe are so good at writing easy to use software and C1 always seems like a PITA to use even after watching tutorials.

Sep 16, 2014 at 07:02 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

Upgrades look worthwhile to me. $99 to upgrade from C1Pro 7 to C1Pro 8.

ken

Sep 16, 2014 at 09:59 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

Capture one has the best color rendering of any of them. The skin tones are beautiful. Except on the Nikon d800. It screws them up big time. Makes me wish I still shot with my D3.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

I'm excited about this upgrade. The new local adjustments alone are worth it. I'm excited to see what changes they made to the processing engine.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:34 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

For Mac users you need to have Mavericks (10.9) installed.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:54 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

I still run C1 for the occasional image that LR makes a dogs dinner out of. I don't use it a lot though, so I'll probably wait for a promotion before upgrading to v8.

I notice they now offer the choice of subscription as well as purchase. Wonder how popular that will be.

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:40 AM
jboyer

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

I use both LR and Capture One. It seems to me that Capture One 8 new rendering engine is better than LR 4. When testing older RAW in C1 version 7 and the version 8, I can see a real change (improvement, imo). Worth trying and compare with LR or DxO.

Sep 16, 2014 at 04:45 PM
jboyer

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

May not be an easy shot to compare.

LR - out of the box NO corrections

Capture One V8 - Same as LR No Corrections

Sep 16, 2014 at 05:00 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

They finally fixed the Curves Tool and now you can move the end points any way you like. Why took them all these years to accomplish what Photoshop could easily do nearly a quarter century ago?

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:52 AM
jboyer

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

mshi wrote:
They finally fixed the Curves Tool and now you can move the end points any way you like. Why took them all these years to accomplish what Photoshop could easily do nearly a quarter century ago?

Did you try Capture One 8? I was nor aware that there was a problem with curves. And I am not clear on how curves add details in rendering RAW files. Pardon my ignorance, here. BTW, when you mention Photoshop, are you implying Lightroom? (Not a Photoshop product, if I am not mistaken)

Sep 17, 2014 at 06:27 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

The formal name for Lightroom is Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom®...that should give you a hint.

However, I don't think mshi is talking about Lightroom since it didn't exist "a quarter century ago." But yes, you can also move the end points in Lightroom's Tone Curve when it is switched to Point Curve mode.

jboyer wrote:
Did you try Capture One 8? I was nor aware that there was a problem with curves. And I am not clear on how curves add details in rendering RAW files. Pardon my ignorance, here. BTW, when you mention Photoshop, are you implying Lightroom? (Not a Photoshop product, if I am not mistaken)

Sep 17, 2014 at 07:13 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

jboyer wrote:

I abandoned Lr and switched to C1Pro7 when it came out. The number one tool that I frequently use has always been the Curves Tool, which allows me to modify global contrast, change global colors and color contrast, or add special effects, such as solarization. However before version 8, end points can never be moved as you wish. Now they just fixed that and now it behaves the same exact way as the one in PS.

Sep 17, 2014 at 08:44 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

Are you guys using Media Pro 1 in conjunction with C1 Pro? How is it?

Sep 17, 2014 at 08:49 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

No I don't use Media One even it sits on my computer.

Sep 17, 2014 at 09:09 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

No Media Pro

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:50 PM
steve g
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

No Media Pro even though it sits on my computer too.

Sep 18, 2014 at 04:42 AM
jboyer

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

Paul Mo wrote:
Are you guys using Media Pro 1 in conjunction with C1 Pro? How is it?

I tried... and failed using Media Pro.

I use LR for media management, keywording, web publishing. And Capture One for RAW development.

Thanks for the comments about the Curves issue. I tend to keep my work in C1 simple. (For some reasons, while I understand Curves, I am having a painful time using the tool, in LR/PS and C1.)

I also found somewhere (lost the reference now), that LR was a better choice for Nikon cameras. There were comments that Canons' rendering in LR was not as good. That was in version 4.

And my workflow is still convoluted. Bearable because I am an amateur, but painful as the number of shots increase.

On a different topic... has anyone used the GPS Option in C1: Open in Browser? I was hoping that when selecting multiple pictures, it would show the locations of them. Only the first one selected is picked up. Is there a workaround?

Sep 18, 2014 at 09:38 AM
jodo
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

jboyer wrote:
I also found somewhere (lost the reference now), that LR was a better choice for Nikon cameras. There were comments that Canons' rendering in LR was not as good. That was in version 4.

I Can't let this statement pass. I use C! because I think it makes my Nikon files look better than anything else (everything) I've tried. Don't take my word for it. Check out their generous trial.
Furthermore you can tweak their camera profiles to create your own personal icc files. Brilliant.

Sep 18, 2014 at 01:56 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Capture One Pro 8 Announced

eSchwab wrote:
Capture one has the best color rendering of any of them. The skin tones are beautiful. Except on the Nikon d800. It screws them up big time. Makes me wish I still shot with my D3.

Same with the Sony A7r, awful skin tones, just checked with C1-8 and it's no improvement. We use C1 all day long in our studios, it's great for controlled lighting but IMO falls apart for colour the moment the lighting is mixed if it's not a MFDB. If you're shooting fashion or product then C1 really is superior (depending on the camera model though we build our own ICC profiles for our D800e's and Leaf digital back using Gretag software). Outside of the studio or with Sony I far prefer ACR myself. C1 gives you huge amount of control at the expense of a rather frustrating and slow interface and so many bugs which annoy the heck out of us (hint, the software was made for mac and is really buggy on a PC).

Here's a shot from earlier in the week (from a 5D3 we were using, canned profile) which is the kind of thing that C1 excels at, the gelled light on the right looked all wrong in ACR.

Sep 18, 2014 at 02:10 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.