Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · More Rock Climbing Shots

cams884
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More Rock Climbing Shots

Hi all. I had a week off last week and got a heap of climbing in. Here are a few shots that I've had a first pass at processing.

I'm planning on entering some in a competition next week so I would very much appreciate some critical evaluation of which are your favourites (and why), and also on the processing. Even comments on slightly different cropping or angles would be appreciated as I have about 300 shots from this day and I may have others that match.

thanks and enjoy.

This set is of my brother Tom climbing Impulse (24, 5.11d, 7a) at Frog Buttress, Queensland, Australia.

7. I quite like this one, but having the climber on second pretty much rules it out for comps I think.

Sep 16, 2014 at 02:16 AM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More Rock Climbing Shots

#3, 5, and 6: I think I would crop the belayer out of the images. You did this in #7 nicely and I think it provides a better image (though the random person does you no favors for being in the way ), more impactful, greater sense of height/fear.

I love your shots and appreciate when you post the climbing pictures. Keep doing so!

Sep 16, 2014 at 03:40 PM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More Rock Climbing Shots

I agree with 3,5, and 6. However, I wouldn't crop. It will leave you with a rope to nowhere

The reason you don't see the belayer in 7 is because they're above.

Sep 16, 2014 at 06:33 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More Rock Climbing Shots

Personally, I prefer the rope to nowhere then.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand your point. I just don't see how the belayer or the end of the rope has any relevance to the shot, or at least the impact of height, fear, etc. . . I guess in my opinion the key anchor is the rock wall or expanse of it, or the spacial characteristics that provide the sensation for height or potential "fear" or "threat" of falling - the perceived "danger".

But of course, this is just my interpretation and what appeals to me (which very well could be not photographically "correct").

Sep 17, 2014 at 04:16 PM
cams884
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More Rock Climbing Shots

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll try a couple of crops without the belayer. I admit that my preference has usually been to include the belayer where possible to tell the full story. However, I recently picked up one of Simon Carter's books and there are plenty of shots with no belayer there. Granted, the appealing part to most of his shots is that they are mostly just beautiful landscape shots which happen to have a climber there to add impact and scale. Something I'm going to strive for more in the future.

Sep 17, 2014 at 06:26 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More Rock Climbing Shots

Cam, I enjoy your shots and hope you keep posting them. I will keep an eye out.

Please don't take my preference as being right, it very well may not be. And the truth of the matter is, I like what I like, whether it is the accepted practice or deemed "right" or not. But that is just me and I recognize that. Please don't think that means I don't like or appreciate your great photographs. Shoot what and how you love to, pleasing yourself in this pursuit is most important (at least it is for me as a hobbyist).

Rock climbing is a great sport and being able to photograph it as a climber yourself, puts you in a very special position . . . to achieve very impactful images. All my best and looking forward to more.

Sep 17, 2014 at 09:19 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.