New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Miramar airshow

docsmiles17
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Miramar airshow

Never been to Miramar but planning to go this year. Any tips on good areas to shoot from, extent of crowds from past, parking, etc. There are some areas you can pay to see show but don't know if its advantageous from a photography standpoint.

Any input appreciated

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:29 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Miramar airshow

It depends upon what perspective you want.
The reserved area closest to the Blue Angels staging/parking (west end) is advantageous to get a good view of the prep for them to get in their aircraft, but you will pay a high price.
Airshow center is good for the best view of the airshow, crossover points for flybys, the hovering spot for the Harrier, etc. so the "Observation Deck" area is a good choice. You typically can setup close to the front and most other folks allow someone with "pro" looking gear to go wherever they want.
Another good spot that I've found is the highest row of the grandstand bleachers closest to show center. Great for seeing where the aircraft are coming from in all directions. Great for the flyovers that go perpendicular to the runway.

Friday is much less busy than Saturday, so parking is better. But expect it to take 45 minutes to go from the gate to actually getting into the show.

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:15 AM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Miramar airshow

Thanks surf monkey. I noticed the west end is where the performers park their planes so thought that may be a good area to get staging shots of them. Is there clear access on the far west side without fences or barriers?

Sep 16, 2014 at 06:04 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Miramar airshow

Should be a good show, I was looking at that one for my next USA trip as the F-35 is doing a demo, but ended up settling on Hickman/Pearl Harbor as...well...it's in Hawaii :P

Air shows are really all about long glass and working your way through the crowds, but be mindful on the base shows that they don't necessarily like big camera bags, so be prepared to pare down your gear to the essentials if they give you a hassle at security. On the same weekend at Barksdale AFB and Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth Barksdale sent me back to the car with my bag and JRB Ft Worth couldn't care less, so it really depends on who you get.

The Blues put on an awesome show, be sure to post your results in the Mustangs Air 2 Air thread. Even if you buy the reserved seating be sure to get out of the area a few times to get some different angles.

Sep 17, 2014 at 06:43 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Miramar airshow

docsmiles17 wrote:
Thanks surf monkey. I noticed the west end is where the performers park their planes so thought that may be a good area to get staging shots of them. Is there clear access on the far west side without fences or barriers?

If I remember correctly, there is a clear view of the planes on the far west side, but I never was there for any "staging".
I also have never used the free open seating on that side, and I imagine that it would be too busy and crowded to find a good spot along the front closest to the runway, especially after shooting the staging area first. You may not be permitted to setup in the free open seating.

So if you're going to be shooting the far west staging area, remember that it's a long walk back to get a good position in one of the Chalets.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Miramar airshow

In regards to large camera bags, unless their policies have changed, I didn't have any trouble carrying my large-ish Guragear Kiboko backpack.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Miramar airshow

I also didn't have any trouble with a gura gear large bag at airshow in Los Angeles

Sep 17, 2014 at 02:54 PM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Miramar airshow

I agree with Surf Monkey. The best place to shoot the show when it is progress is the paid bleachers. Top row, all the way to the west end. Just look for all the big lenses when you get inside. I will be there on Friday for sure. Really looking forward to seeing the F-35 for the first time.

In the past Miramar makes you open your bag to show it is camera gear. They do a cursory check for guns, bombs, bazookas, drugs, alcohol, low-yield nuclear weapons...and send ya through. If you want to avoid that line put your gear in a photo vest and you won't have to wait in the long line for bag searches. Works every year.

Sep 17, 2014 at 03:25 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.