1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2014 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

douglasf13 wrote:
... Granted, I live in a major city where a large the percentage of 20-40 year olds apparently fit the description of what some would call "hipsters."

^Well, in LA everybody does grow old, but not everybody grows up!

Dec 21, 2014 at 05:10 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

sirimiri wrote:
^Well, in LA everybody does grow old, but not everybody grows up!

Hey, LA is nothing. I'm moving to Portland next week, and that's where 25 year olds go to retire!

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:27 AM
musingclouds
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

Why don't you send Fuji an email rattymouse?

Dec 22, 2014 at 06:49 AM
shoevarek
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

What is it that makes some label instant film users as 'hipsters'?

Since I bought used MF camera with polaroid back (by chance) I was using it sporadically first with some out dated Polaroid, than with Fuji instant film. For two years now I am indoctrinating my friends' son (6 year old) shooting with that film and he loves it. He can set up my Rollei 6008 and make better portraits than I can. Two weeks ago during small dinner meeting we used FB3000 black and white instant film and even adults liked it. They have digital camera, phones and thousands of pictures but becouse of all that overabundance they stopped printing the pictures. I noticed that a little of mechanical process and seeing the picture develop in seconds was interesting and fun for them. I actually like an idea mentioned in one of previous post. When I was on trip in Nepal several years ago I was showing encountered Nepaleese kids small screen of my digital camera. It would be nice to be able to give them the photo to enjoy right there.

Bottom line is, I think it is a niche product but very satisfying and not in the 'smug' way some suggest. After all what is a diference between 'hipster' shooting with Holga and many of us (myself included) on this site with latest and greatest digital gear? In the end only few photographs out of thousands will be original enough and good enough to be worth 2 cents.

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

Really? how so? I see it the other way. There's WAY more cameras out there that take FP100c pack film than there ever will be with instax. And most of them are "real" cameras, e.g. high-quality lenses, etc. You can recover the neg from FP100c - can you do that with instax? I'd be surprised if so.

"The INSTAX film is much more versatile than FP100C."

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

Bump

Hey ratty have you seen this:

http://shop.lomography.com/en/cameras/instant-cameras/lomo-instant-wide-black-single

Feb 21, 2016 at 09:31 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

someone please make an instax back for hasselblads.

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:11 PM
Chrissearle
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

I thought as photographers we would celebrate diversity of people and culture. Why knock people who are different to you and have different ideas? Perhaps you feel superior to these Hipsters for some reason? Or maybe it's just fashionable to knock the fashionable?

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:44 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

goosemang wrote:
Bump

Hey ratty have you seen this:

http://shop.lomography.com/en/cameras/instant-cameras/lomo-instant-wide-black-single

This is actually a really neat camera. The instax film is far and away the best instant film currently in production, all it needs is a great camera that it can live in. This camera looks to be pretty good, and certainly a more honest effort than Fuji is making.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:28 PM
esanchez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

I wish there was an modern camera that could use the FP100C film...

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:19 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

What I'd really like to see is an Instax printer that takes the Wide film. I have the smaller version and it's a TON of fun. I used one at a wedding recently and being able to print directly from my camera to the printer was a great way to leave behind some favors for the friends and family of the bride and groom.

A rather cliche shot below, but they absolutely loved it...

Feb 24, 2016 at 08:42 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

While we're bumping, I'll mention that Holga is now "toast" to use the parlance of our day.

goosemang wrote:
...not to say that you can't make compelling work with a novelty item or a toy - i mean look at holga...

Feb 24, 2016 at 09:27 PM
GRM
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

The pictures out of these Fuji Instax cameras are mediocre at best. My kids have a few and I've seen the results first hand. Very poor quality with lack of detail. Sure, I didn't expect wonders from a $100 camera (much more if you add the film) but the quality is super low even for a $100 camera. Toys, nothing more.

Feb 24, 2016 at 09:55 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

GRM wrote:
The pictures out of these Fuji Instax cameras are mediocre at best. My kids have a few and I've seen the results first hand. Very poor quality with lack of detail. Sure, I didn't expect wonders from a $100 camera (much more if you add the film) but the quality is super low even for a $100 camera. Toys, nothing more.

Most people don't care, though. I could have edited my photos in-camera to make them print a little better (they work best shooting a little darker or underexposing by a couple of stops prior to printing), but even with them slightly blown out, soft and washed-out, people LOVED them at the wedding. I couldn't print them fast enough. With a little patience and know-how, these can produce decent results, which is why I'd love a Wide format printer instead of the little small guy, but aside from that, having an instant photo to share with someone, a tactile keepsake of a moment, is a huge plus in an increasingly digital world.

The top response I got at the wedding where I printed those was, "Oh my gosh! I didn't even know they still made Polaroid film! I remember my grandmother (father, etc.) using one of those when I was a kid. I really should dig out those old Polaroids and look through them."

They didn't care that these were actually Fuji. And that they were a new[ish] thing. They referred to them as Polaroids and connected the instant prints with some family member. There's a lot of nostalgia with these instant prints for anybody over the age of, say, 30. And for anyone younger that is into this "Instax" fad... Good. Keep it alive a little longer whether you're a pro handing out keepsakes at a wedding, Zack Arias breaking the ice on the streets of Dubai or a handlebar-mustachioed hipster with skinny jeans and your granddad's golf cap riding a fixie in Albuquerque.

I don't care where the interest comes from or how good or bad the prints might be (admittedly, Fuji's own cameras do NOTHING for these prints, but printing from a digital camera using their printer is rather amazing and offers up better prints)... It's part of photography and that can't be all bad.

Feb 25, 2016 at 07:54 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

I agree with Rattymouse though... Fuji really should up their game with the Instax cameras. At least offering manual exposure and the like. Hell... add an LCD to the back to show a preview of your shot (kind of like a digital camera that prints). Or, give us a camera with built-in WiFi so we can transfer photos via our XT1, etc. to directly print from the camera.

There's room for growth, expansion, insight here. Fuji just hasn't jumped on it.

Feb 25, 2016 at 07:59 AM
esanchez
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

Good way to get film going in Polaroid form :-)

matthewm wrote:
I agree with Rattymouse though... Fuji really should up their game with the Instax cameras. At least offering manual exposure and the like. Hell... add an LCD to the back to show a preview of your shot (kind of like a digital camera that prints). Or, give us a camera with built-in WiFi so we can transfer photos via our XT1, etc. to directly print from the camera.

There's room for growth, expansion, insight here. Fuji just hasn't jumped on it.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:03 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

It seems to me that folks are taking this a bit more seriously than necessary. The Instax camera system, from what I can tell, is mainly about the fun of being to produce prints quickly and easily and not about super high image quality.

If that's not your thing, fine — Instax isn't for you. If it is your thing, fine — enjoy it. ;-)

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:46 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

gdanmitchell wrote:
It seems to me that folks are taking this a bit more seriously than necessary. The Instax camera system, from what I can tell, is mainly about the fun of being to produce prints quickly and easily and not about super high image quality.

If that's not your thing, fine — Instax isn't for you. If it is your thing, fine — enjoy it. ;-)

THIS!!! Finally... The voice of reason arrives.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:49 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

GRM wrote:

Not my experience at all. Both my kids have INSTAX cameras and they produce very impressive images. Beautiful color and not too bad sharpness considering they have 2 element plastic lenses.

If Fujifilm had balls and made a real camera, that film could really sing.

Of course, Fujifilm wont do that.

Feb 25, 2016 at 05:58 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Fujifilm Instax 300- HUGE Disappointment

We've been using the Instax Printer for a year, and it's a blast to rip off little prints coming straight from my X100T or iPhone. My four year old loves holding a sturdy little print. As someone mentioned above, I wish Fuji would make an Instax printer using the larger, wide film.

Feb 25, 2016 at 06:18 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.