Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Profile for high pressure sodium lighting?

bfreas

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profile for high pressure sodium lighting?

Anyone had any luck creating a profile for Lightroom or PS to correct colors taken under high pressure sodium street lights? I can get an ok result with white balance and tint adjustments but some colors come out looking strange. I've tried taking a shot of my ColorChecker and making a custom profile in DNG Profile Editor but still get not so accurate results.

Anyone have a sure fire way of doing this?

Sep 14, 2014 at 04:38 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profile for high pressure sodium lighting?

given that the spectral output of HPS lamps is terrible, I dont think you're ever going to get great results. The spectra just isn't there in the first place!

Sep 14, 2014 at 06:14 PM
wfektar
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profile for high pressure sodium lighting?

bfreas wrote:
Anyone had any luck creating a profile for Lightroom or PS to correct colors taken under high pressure sodium street lights? I can get an ok result with white balance and tint adjustments but some colors come out looking strange. I've tried taking a shot of my ColorChecker and making a custom profile in DNG Profile Editor but still get not so accurate results.

Anyone have a sure fire way of doing this?

Fake it? White balance assumes a black body. With this kind of lighting you just don't have the data and the only way around that is data fabrication.

Well, there is one other approach. Embrace it. Pretend that you want those colors, and that if you'd had white lights you'd have gelled them to resemble HPS anyway.

Sep 14, 2014 at 07:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profile for high pressure sodium lighting?

If you look at the spectrum, it's nowhere near continuous. There are simply too many wavelengths with little or no energy.

EBH

http://gothamproductsinc.com/ebay/Bulbs/HPS-250w/hps-250w-spectrum-analysis.jpg

Sep 14, 2014 at 09:52 PM
bfreas

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profile for high pressure sodium lighting?

Well I figured it would be a tall order to get a solution for this. Hope my town converts to 5000k LED lighting soon!

Sep 15, 2014 at 05:39 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profile for high pressure sodium lighting?

bfreas wrote:
Well I figured it would be a tall order to get a solution for this. Hope my town converts to 5000k LED lighting soon!

My town converted to LED lighting ... very white, but not so bright. In fact, only the streets are illuminated now. Get off the street and it is really dark. I don't really like it much.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profile for high pressure sodium lighting?

Well, there is one other approach. Embrace it. Pretend that you want those colors, and that if you'd had white lights you'd have gelled them to resemble HPS anyway.

Or convert to B&W

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:05 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.