Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Tree of Life

Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tree of Life

Congratulations to Mark Metternich for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 14 votes - View Previous Winners

Details below the image.

I'm excited to say this this image (and another of mine) has made the Arizona Highways 2014-2015 Photo Contest Finals. With all the great work there, I feel gratitude and honored.

http://www.arizonahighways.com/photography/photo-contest-archive

Edited on Jan 17, 2015 at 12:44 PM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2014 at 03:51 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tree of Life

A couple weeks ago, my client and I chased a massive thunderstorm to the area and after hail the size of marbles, torrential rains and some flash flooding, we were rewarded with some incredible desert conditions. We stayed here 2 days and a week later we came back here with a group for even more great light.

Sony A7R
Canon 14mmL2 (my favorite lens in the world)
f5.6
200 ISO
Manual cable release
Focus stacked in Photoshop CC

Feel free to follow me on Facebook if you so choose.

Thank you very much for looking.

Great light to you!

Details for the more inquisitive:

This is a focus stack of 12 images for enhanced depth of field. A technique I have been using rigorously for at least 6 years now. Since I have been asked twice today about my in the field methodology and technique on focus stacking, and why I take so many images, here are the questions and my responses from another site:

Question: "Why do you need so many images for optimum DOF with a 14mm lens. Seems to me as if two or three might suffice."

My reply:

When the foreground is only maybe 6-12 inches from the camera, f/5.6 wont even begin to get the image in a single shot, even with the Canon 14mmL2. Also, the Photoshop CC "auto blending" works better with more data. So, I absolutely make sure the very closest thing is in focus (if in doubt I will back up my focus ring a hair before my first shot) then shoot, move the focus ring very slightly toward infinity, shoot again, repeat... I only look at my lens focal ring and where it is telling me I am in proximity to infinity (if I even look at all - I can do this in the dark even) and I always make sure that the first increments are very slight. Then as I get closer to infinity I will broaden the difference in the shots just a little bit. Over the years, I have had several people ask me why I shoot so many shots, and even a few try to tell me that I don't need to. But my Photoshop experience has shown me, empirically, that the blends come out better with more shots (to a point). So, often, I will do 6 or more. In the case where I am using the Canon 14mmL2 and I am very close to maxing out the closeness of the foreground, more often it is around 12 or so shots, sometimes as much as 16.

Question: "While taking this wide shot, do you just focus from center (bottom or top / top to bottom) or take different focused shots from all corners as well?"

My reply:

From the bottom (the closest thing to the camera). Unless the sky is doing something really special and then I will grab that first. After the first shot, I simply move the focus ring slightly toward infinity, shoot, move the focus ring again, repeat... This is a very fast approach without too much thinking! The first increments are more slight than the later ones that are closer to infinity... Generally the more info Photoshop has the better the blend (to a point).

Sep 14, 2014 at 03:51 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tree of Life

Gorgeous, beautiful shot.
It is always interesting to read about your technique, and the results are quite often spectacular.

Bob

Sep 14, 2014 at 03:54 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tree of Life

Really nice lines on this one Mark. The texture in the rock is just perfect as well...

Sep 14, 2014 at 05:24 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tree of Life

Really like the shot and REALLY appreciate the technique explanation. For a guy who is still learning a lot despite feeling quite comfortable behind the camera, this kind of stuff is really useful.

Cheers

Sep 14, 2014 at 05:45 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tree of Life

Nice imaging Mark. I take it you really like to use f5.6 on that lens.

Sep 14, 2014 at 06:15 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tree of Life

Very nice image!! Again, thanks for taking the time to detail your technique!

Sep 14, 2014 at 07:06 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tree of Life

Mark,
Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing your technique as well.

Sep 14, 2014 at 07:13 PM
ekraahi

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tree of Life

Amazing shot Mark! And thanks for detailed technique explanation helps a great deal for amateurs like me

Surya

Sep 14, 2014 at 08:05 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tree of Life

Very nice. May have to give stacking a try.

Sep 14, 2014 at 08:15 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tree of Life

Voted. I think this is one of your best shots ever! (And I would never guess a dozen shots to focus stack a 14mm!)
Dave

Sep 14, 2014 at 09:11 PM
titas
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tree of Life

Great shot Mark and great experience indeed.

Titas

Sep 14, 2014 at 09:50 PM
TexSchneider
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tree of Life

Just outstanding, Mark!

Tex

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:02 PM
ambrown31

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tree of Life

If you are doing exposure blending as well as focus stacking what is your process for that? I get the two separately no problem, but I have yet to see any success doing both on the same image.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tree of Life

A genuine huge thank you to everyone!

ambrown31 wrote:
If you are doing exposure blending as well as focus stacking what is your process for that? I get the two separately no problem, but I have yet to see any success doing both on the same image.

With the Sony A7R that is done a lot less, but when it is done it can sometimes be tough. Often I basically do a blend (the exact same way) to each series of shots. Then, next I will focus stack them. But every situation is different. Maybe sometimes you can focus stack the land, but have to blend in the infinity focused sky... It depends on where the dynamic range issue is. Also, more and more I believe it is still good to have great manual blending skills too. It is awesome because today people are really pushing the boundaries in every way! That keeps me busy teaching via Skype screen sharing to people who want to know how to do it all!

Sep 15, 2014 at 01:39 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tree of Life

Beautiful shot Mark!

Sep 15, 2014 at 03:16 AM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tree of Life

Thanks for the steps Mark! Fantastic image. Really like the theme and the mood. I really like the symmetry in the sand ripples to the clouds above. Great eye.

Jason

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tree of Life

Fantastic Photo Mark! What really great scene you captured here!

Sep 15, 2014 at 04:08 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tree of Life

Very unique shot Mark. I really like the final result.
Do you do your focal stacking in PS? I never really like the results. My favorite app is Zerene stacker. Have you tried it?
Fred

Sep 15, 2014 at 04:28 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tree of Life

Stunning capture of a simple scene.

Sep 15, 2014 at 06:06 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.