New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

mingzeli
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

As I posted on the Nikon forum, Nikon has become Desperate after D4 with 6 FF(D750, D810, D4s, D610, D600, D800(E)) released on an average of 163 days between releases(I consider D800 and D800 one camera here). On the other hand, Canon only released 3 FF(5D III, 1DC, 6D) and hasn't released any FF after 09/17/2012.

Are you happy with Canon's speed?

Check out my post on Nikon forum:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1318163

Sep 14, 2014 at 03:36 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

Eighteen month release cycles have been the norm and it's fine by me, but I'm not a pro and usually don't upgrade quickly, four to five yrs is my norm, unless something amazing is produced

Sep 14, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

When a technology approached maturity, the pace of developments slows considerably; so I think this is the issue with DSLR bodies - the technology is very mature (it's pretty well impossible to get a bad one).

Unfortunately, we are accustomed to rapid changes and frequent upgrades, and it's just not going to happen as fast as it has in the past.

Furthermore, our insatiable desire for more and better (different?) may be largely what is driving the mirrorless craze, because there will be very little better/different in the foreseeable future with DSLR bodies.

Glenn

Sep 14, 2014 at 04:06 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

I purchase my gear on my own cycle, when I feel there is a better camera that meets my needs closer. I don't care if there are another 10 cameras released as long as my needs are met with one.

Sep 14, 2014 at 04:08 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

The announcement of a genuine 1ds3 successor* is becoming a tad concerning, my 1Ds3 is approaching its 7th birthday and (without wishing to tempt the mocker gods) is still going strong, but I'd like to see a genuine upgrade path if I needed to replace it.

Sep 14, 2014 at 04:26 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

My last few cameras stayed in my bag for 5 years and I got a heck of a lot of use out of them. IQ and handling are so good there isn't much gonna entice me. I make a lot of 11x14 and 12x18 prints and my 6D and 5D2 do those effortlessly. I'm very glad about the increased longevity so I can spend my extra cash on lenses, travel and beer. There is a feature which would cause me to sell all and upgrade in a heartbeat: ECF. Not fond of wheels and joysticks. Don't need more MP, dynamic range (paper can only show so much), speed, GPS or WiFi.

Sep 14, 2014 at 04:29 PM
El Pedro

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

Jon Tainton wrote:
The announcement of a genuine 1ds3 successor* is becoming a tad concerning, my 1Ds3 is approaching its 7th birthday and (without wishing to tempt the mocker gods) is still going strong, but I'd like to see a genuine upgrade path if I needed to replace it.

I'd consider 5d3 and 1DX both genuine upgrades from the 1DS3.

Sep 14, 2014 at 04:33 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

I'm not sure Canon is under any sales pressure to release FF updates. Didn't someone post a blurb from a financial report that their higher end DSLR's are doing fine.

D4s was just playing catchup to the 1DX. D610 was fixing the D600 fiasco.

Tech wise the 5D3 is really the one that needs to be updated as the D810 is ahead of it. Problem is it keeps selling no matter what.

Sep 14, 2014 at 04:34 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

El Pedro wrote:
I'd consider 5d3 and 1DX both genuine upgrades from the 1DS3.

Well good for you and I don't wish to offend 5d3/1Dx owners, but I don't.

Sep 14, 2014 at 05:02 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

I don't think you will ever see a 1Ds3 type body again. The 1DX2 may become higher MP but it will retain its fast frame per second build as well. 5D4 has a better chance to replace the low FPS high MP 1Ds3.

Don't see Canon back tracking on the unification of the 1D body.

Sep 14, 2014 at 05:13 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

I think 3 years is fine as long as the changes are fairly substantial for the new model. It helps resale value and helps limit the spread of constant upgraditis. However the 5 years cycle for the 7D has been a total joke.

Sep 14, 2014 at 05:30 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

mingzeli wrote:
As I posted on the Nikon forum, Nikon has become Desperate after D4 with 6 FF(D750, D810, D4s, D610, D600, D800(E)) released on an average of 163 days between releases(I consider D800 and D800 one camera here). On the other hand, Canon only released 3 FF(5D III, 1DC, 6D) and hasn't released any FF after 09/17/2012.

Are you happy with Canon's speed?

Check out my post on Nikon forum:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1318163

Well. The question has to be put in context.

The 5D3, with the exception of the sub-par low iso DR sensor performance, it is close to a flawless DSLR from the get go. There were and there still aren't really any big issues with the camera since its release.

The 6D is also a solid camera at a good price.

The 1Dx is a superb camera but overpriced IMHO since it should have been $5400 from the start at the most.

Now, Canon left a big hole when it decided to kill the 1DS series. The 1DS was always the DSLR leader in image quality including resolution.

Nikon filled that vacancy with the D800/E and now the excellent D810. They have chosen to refine the camera body around a superb sensor than Canon has yet to even get close to let alone match.

Regarding the D600 fiasco, well, it wasn't that bad, but they made good with the D610. That is really good to see in today's world.

The D750, pending some heavy duty testing, seems like an excellent all around camera.

Sep 14, 2014 at 05:38 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

Sneakyracer wrote:
The D750, pending some heavy duty testing, seems like an excellent all around camera.

Given the small price differential between D610 and D750 surely the D610 is a waste of time now unless they slash prices. D750 is essential D810 with 24MP sensor and at $2.2K a very nice price that should embarrass Canon's 5D III pricing.

Sep 14, 2014 at 05:52 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

Sneakyracer wrote:
Well. The question has to be put in context.

The 5D3, with the exception of the sub-par low iso DR sensor performance, it is close to a flawless DSLR from the get go. There were and there still aren't really any big issues with the camera since its release.

The 6D is also a solid camera at a good price.

The 1Dx is a superb camera but overpriced IMHO since it should have been $5400 from the start at the most.

Now, Canon left a big hole when it decided to kill the 1DS series. The 1DS was always the DSLR
...Show more

What is everyone's beaf with the D750. To my eyes it looks like a great competitor for a 5D3: good AF, good resolution but not crazy high to interfere with workflow, decent battery life, normal control wheels and bobbles, it all looks like a solid deal. Sure, it uses carbon fiber for part of the body BUT SO DO F***ING RACE CARS and they don't seem to have trouble flying around on tracks enduring way more stress than camera equipment ever does.

NB: I realize I am probably missing something here and hope that someone will fill me in on that shortly.

Sep 14, 2014 at 05:56 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

Frankly, I don't care, same as many others replying. I'm in hi-tech manufacturing. It takes time to engineer and produce sophisticated high end products. I'll wait for them to do it right. I believe the time that is passing will result in a very exciting release when the time is right. Meanwhile my 1DsIII and 5DII and Fuji XPro1 are doing just fine.

Sep 14, 2014 at 06:28 PM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

]

What is everyone's beef with the D750. To my eyes it looks like a great competitor for a 5D3: good AF, good resolution but not crazy high to interfere with workflow, decent battery life, normal control wheels and bobbles, it all looks like a solid deal. Sure, it uses carbon fiber for part of the body BUT SO DO F***ING RACE CARS and they don't seem to have trouble flying around on tracks enduring way more stress than camera equipment ever does.

NB: I realize I am probably missing something here and hope that someone will fill me in on that shortly.

I have nothing whatsoever against a Nikon D750, but my lenses won't fit it.

CF seems good enough for tripods - should be OK for bodies too.

G

Sep 14, 2014 at 06:28 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

kezeka wrote:
What is everyone's beaf with the D750. To my eyes it looks like a great competitor for a 5D3: good AF, good resolution but not crazy high to interfere with workflow, decent battery life, normal control wheels and bobbles, it all looks like a solid deal. Sure, it uses carbon fiber for part of the body BUT SO DO F***ING RACE CARS and they don't seem to have trouble flying around on tracks enduring way more stress than camera equipment ever does.

By naming it the D750 I think Nikon got hit with D700 owner expectations and it didn't meet it. The D700/D3 combo was/is amazing but it must have cannibalized the crap out of the D3 for Nikon to be so fearful of replicating it.

Edited on Sep 14, 2014 at 06:33 PM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2014 at 06:32 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

I could care less. Actually I'm glad of the pace since I'm not one to constantly upgrade. If anything it could be a benefit if I ever end up selling. I guess it would be different for those waiting to upgrade though.

Sep 14, 2014 at 06:32 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

I have a bit different way of looking at it. I'd be concerned about plunking down $$$$ on a 6 month old Nikon model not knowing if a new one will be announced a week later, and the value of my product would drop thru the floor. Sure, it will still take pictures, but the uncertainty as to when the next new model will drop is a concern. Even with a new car, I know that a new model will come out each year, and can decide if I want to pay the current going price for a car being replaced in a month. And, since people know the situation, prices do drop.

Sep 14, 2014 at 07:17 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do you like the velocity of Canon FF body upgrade

ggreene wrote:
By naming it the D750 I think Nikon got hit with D700 owner expectations and it didn't meet it. The D700/D3 combo was/is amazing but it must have cannibalized the crap out of the D3 for Nikon to be so fearful of replicating it.

What were those expectations?

Sep 14, 2014 at 07:22 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.