New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Major website overhaul

Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Major website overhaul

Not sure if it's kosher to post this here, but I checked the forum rules and didn't see any proscription. Every shot on the site is taken with Nikon cameras, which I hope earns it a place on this forum.

Any comments, positive or negative, are welcome.

Here's the link

C

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:04 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Major website overhaul

No feedback at all guys? C'mon, throw a guy a bone!

C

Sep 14, 2014 at 08:17 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Major website overhaul

I like it a lot... Very nice images Chris

Just a small note, the transition between images on the home page is a bit slow.

Sep 14, 2014 at 08:22 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Major website overhaul

Nice pictures but that long grey bar across the pics is very distracting. I am using Windows XP.

Sep 14, 2014 at 08:30 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Major website overhaul

Hey, thanks for taking a look, guys.

Hussain, do you mean the time spent on each image is a bit long, or the actual transition fade from one image to the next is too slow? The first I can adjust, but the second might be more to do with the speed that your browser runs the Javascript.

Agreed, William, I'm not a huge fan of the big grey bar or the positioning of the text on the image. Unfortunately, this is hardwired into the WordPress theme I'm using. Once I have everything else tweaked to my liking, I may delve into the code and see if this is within my abilities to change.

Really appreciate the comments.

C

Sep 14, 2014 at 09:50 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Major website overhaul

Chris Court wrote:
Hey, thanks for taking a look, guys.

Hussain, do you mean the time spent on each image is a bit long, or the actual transition fade from one image to the next is too slow? The first I can adjust, but the second might be more to do with the speed that your browser runs the Javascript.

Agreed, William, I'm not a huge fan of the big grey bar or the positioning of the text on the image. Unfortunately, this is hardwired into the WordPress theme I'm using. Once I have everything else tweaked to my liking, I may delve into
...Show more

Yes Chris, the actual transitional fade

Sep 15, 2014 at 01:19 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Major website overhaul

A couple of thoughts.

First, I hate that you're based in the sunny Caribbean when I'm looking at Winter around the corner.

Actually, the pics and site are first rate, well done. My only question is the time it takes to go through the slide show on the home page. I know for most folks in the world with fast internet it's not even an issue. But the ones unlucky enough to have sloooow internet speeds, might it be a deterrent to them and thus click off?

I don't know, I'm just wondering.

Sep 15, 2014 at 05:16 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Major website overhaul

Hussain, I've switched out the transition from a fade to a wipe, which may be a little less processor intensive. I must say, however, that I definitely prefer the fade, so will likely ultimately end up moving back to that. I'm wondering what computer/browser you're using?

Thanks for the kind comments Leighton! Unfortunately there's an unavoidable tension between the quality of images and load times. On balance, I think I'd rather err on the side of displaying better looking images, rather than reducing resolution/quality for everyone, just to cater for those with slower connections. I do have sympathy, however, as I've been stuck with a stone age internet service for years, and have only recently had fiber hooked up.

As an essentially self-promotional site, I'm curious as to what you guys think of a) watermarking the images, and b) what would be the optimal number of images to display - both on the opening slider, and in the galleries. Too many, people start to get numb. Not enough, the impact is reduced.

I appreciate all the comments so far. Thanks a bunch!

C

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Major website overhaul

IMHO, I wouldn't change a thing. I like the fade on the opening slider and it doesn't matter to me how many images are on it. If I get tired of viewing them I'll just click on a gallery. Your gallery is set up just the way I like it, thumbnails first, THEN you can decide which image to look at. As far as watermarking, I hate seeing big watermarks on images, to me they ruin the image. Having said that, a little faint one out of the way is not too bad. If you have low resolution images displayed, then it's really not necessary to have one. YMMV.

A question for you now. Are you using Square Space?

Sep 16, 2014 at 05:07 AM
shekarn64
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Major website overhaul

Also what is the purpose of the collapsing button in the gallery pages? It hides all the images and shows a blank screen - which is not good.

Sep 16, 2014 at 06:34 AM
eltano
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Major website overhaul

You have really nice pics in your site, well done.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Eltano

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Major website overhaul

Leighton, thank you for the comments. I also hate watermarks, but then, I also hate having my images used without my permission. I'm thinking I probably will end up with a subtle watermark of some kind. No Square Space, just basic Godaddy hosting with WordPress. Are there any compelling benefits to Square Space?

Shekarn, good point about the collapse button. I think the intention is to give a better view of a background image, if one is used. Obviously somewhat pointless with a plain white background. I'll have to see if it is possible to disable this.

Eltano, thanks!!

C

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:09 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Major website overhaul

Chris Court wrote:
Leighton, thank you for the comments. I also hate watermarks, but then, I also hate having my images used without my permission. I'm thinking I probably will end up with a subtle watermark of some kind. No Square Space, just basic Godaddy hosting with WordPress. Are there any compelling benefits to Square Space?

It's very simple using the drag and drop format. After selecting one of the templates, you can modify it to your hearts content. From everything I've heard about it, it's "supposed" to be easier than Wordpress. In your case, looks like you have mastered Wordpress so I'm not sure I would switch.

They offer a free trial.

Sep 18, 2014 at 05:27 AM
solloron1

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Major website overhaul

Hi Chris,

Great looking site! My only complaint is the very slight pattern that sits on top of you images. It kind of takes away from your great shots. It is at the bottom of your <ul> and it is coming from the supersized-pattern class. IMHO get rid of that and it's even better!!

Sep 18, 2014 at 07:28 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.