New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

minolta200
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

Today I was in the local store and saw two versions of the 105mm macro VR lens. One is made in Japan and the other one is made in China. Although the outside looked very similar, the coating on the rear element looked different. On the Japan version, the coating is more purple where as on the China version, the coating is more green. Both said having nano crystal coating. I tried both on my D610 and shot both wide open. The one made in China was slightly sharper on the image preview screen. They are priced the same. I wonder what others take on it. I want to use it for portraits. My fav lens right now is a Canon 135mm F2L.

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2014 at 08:14 PM
Pinarello65
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#105Micro

It looks like the lens was made in Japan 2006-2009, then production moved to China after that. I have the japanese version, never tried the chinese version. It's a good lens, I've been happy with it. I dont use it for portraits however, only for macro subjects e.g. insects.

Sep 13, 2014 at 08:30 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

The Chinese version's serial starts with 6 while the Japanese with 2. The Chinese version is all plastic while the Japanese with some metal.

Sep 13, 2014 at 08:46 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

If both are new, with full warranty, same price etc etc
and you think the chinese made is sharper
then buy the chinese made

Simple.

Sep 14, 2014 at 09:02 AM
minolta200
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

I was going to but I wanted to check with everybody first and see if there were anything I needed to know. The sharpness differences are very slight. The Japan made one has US in the serial number but the China made one doesn't. Maybe it's a grey market one? The prices were same. I wonder if the Japan made copy is just a bad copy or they are all like that.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

Maybe the Chinese made one is a rare fluky extra sharp copy.
Don't over-think this.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

Don't skip looking at Sigma's 150/2.8 APO OS, if it can be found at a similar price-point. It's sharper, actually controls longitudinal CA extremely well (dat APO), and comes with a tripod mount.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM
groob
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

My 105 f2.8 is razor sharp. I don't think you'd be able to see a meaningful difference until you compare the shots on a computer screen. If one is grey market and the other isn't, I'd get the US version.

Sep 14, 2014 at 01:11 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

Get the US lens. If it ever needs service, Nikon gets real antsy about working on non-US gear.

Sep 14, 2014 at 01:23 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

What image preview screen? What camera?
What f/stop?

I'd get the Japanese. US version.

Sep 14, 2014 at 01:29 PM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

I've owned both versions no difference at all that I can even significantly remember.

When I first bought the 105 I wanted the MIJ version. Eventually sold it off to fund other things.

After some time I went to buy it again but couldn't find any for sale so bought new which are all MIC.

No complaints at all, no difference, forget it's even MIC because I'm too busy using it to care.

Sep 14, 2014 at 01:37 PM
John Vargas
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

I purchased a 105mm VR from B&H about six months ago, made in China and serial number starts with US603xxxx. Well made and sharp

Sep 14, 2014 at 01:38 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 105mm VR lens versions

Interesting. I had no idea there were two flavors of this lens. Can't say I'm surprised given how many variations of the 105mm they've produced.

Sep 15, 2014 at 06:00 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.