Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · So which would you pick: D750 vs. A7 vs. Wait?

SchnellerGT
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · So which would you pick: D750 vs. A7 vs. Wait?

I have sold my Canon 5DII and my 85/1.8 USM lens. I am holding on to my beloved 24-70LII and 135L. I have shot with the 6D and like it. I was 90% sure we'd get a hint through the 7DII that Canon was finally doing to get its a$$ in gear in regards to new sensor tech and DR. My assumption was that if the 7DII was to get new sensor tech, we could at least hope that new tech would spread to the 5DIV/6DII, etc. I'd wait for those. But Canon is now 3 generations behind and decides to rest on its laurels, so the Sony A7 and now D750 have my attention. Adios to companies that stagnate.

What do I shoot? Mostly portrait, landscape and interior room shots. I can't say I do much action/sports/bird/plane photography (though I could eventually do more planes).

So how do we compare the A7 vs. D750?

Price/Body: $1698 vs. $2297
MPX: 24.7 vs. 24.93
AF: Phase and Contrast Detection, 117 + 25 AF points vs. 51 AF points, 15 cross-type
Viewfinder: EVF vs. OVF
ISO: 50-25600 vs. 50-51200
Shutter: 1/8000 vs. 1/4000
FPS: 5.0 vs. 6.5
AE-ON Button: Unknown vs. No
Screen: Tilt 3.0" 1.2m Pixels vs. Tilt 3.2" 1.2m Pixels
Flash: No vs. Yes
WiFi: Yes vs. Yes
Weight: 416g vs. 750g

What I don't like about the D750 and DO use: no dedicated AE-ON button, no 1/8000. The FPS is fine.

The Nikon does have better, faster AF, better metering, better accessories/lenses/support, and will have better resale down the line. I would have to sell my Canon glass to fund purchase of body and lenses that would not be as good as the glass I have now. I would most likely start with the Tamron 24-70 VC and Nikon 85/1.8G.

The Sony is $600 cheaper, weighs about .5 lbs. less and supposedly is "easy" to use with Canon glass. But accessories/lenses/support and long-term resale value will be poor.

I like that both have WiFi as this is a feature I have come to enjoy after my experience with the 6D.

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:15 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · So which would you pick: D750 vs. A7 vs. Wait?

Get the D750. For one it seems like Nikon always gets more out of the sensor than Sony does, so your IQ will be better.

And it you are going to by something new, you want the latest and greatest....

But you will get lot's of opinions, mine is just one.

Jim

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:30 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · So which would you pick: D750 vs. A7 vs. Wait?

I have to assume that you're reason for switching is low-ISO DR for landscapes, as your 6D (which I also own) is plenty capable of doing everything else.

And if your intention is to shoot any sort of action, your choice is made easy by the mirrorless systems' general inability to shoot reliably in continuous mode- so you're looking at the D750, or possibly the D610.

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:32 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · So which would you pick: D750 vs. A7 vs. Wait?

Well, the Nikon D750 body will be better built than the Sony A7.

Wait for an A9?

Sep 13, 2014 at 02:54 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · So which would you pick: D750 vs. A7 vs. Wait?

The greatest attraction of the Sony is the ability to use the lens you already own. However, as Jim stated, Nikon seems to get more out of Sony's sensors than Sony, and the AF system is better on the D750. I have something negative about the shutters for the Sony, but really haven't paid attention to it. You just need to write down all your wishes and see which system meets most of them.

Sep 13, 2014 at 03:17 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · So which would you pick: D750 vs. A7 vs. Wait?

The A7 is a very nice camera. I really enjoyed shooting with it when I had it you'd still retain the use of your canon glass too although slower af than before. As for the d750 I can't comment because it's not released yet although I've seen some pretty good posts about it on Facebook from people like Matt granger and such.

Rent an a7 and see if it would be a good fit for you that's the last bit I can say

Sep 13, 2014 at 03:35 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · So which would you pick: D750 vs. A7 vs. Wait?

Is the D 750 sensor definitely a Sony? In the recent past, I believe that Nikon incorporated some Samsung sensors as well. That could make quite a difference.

Sep 13, 2014 at 03:47 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · So which would you pick: D750 vs. A7 vs. Wait?

Did you ever hold an A7/'S/R?
I tried the A7S and AFAIK it's a full metal body unlike the D750

AFwill be the big difference.

carlitos wrote:
Well, the Nikon D750 body will be better built than the Sony A7.

Wait for an A9?

Sep 13, 2014 at 04:35 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · So which would you pick: D750 vs. A7 vs. Wait?

philber wrote:
Is the D 750 sensor definitely a Sony? In the recent past, I believe that Nikon incorporated some Samsung sensors as well. That could make quite a difference.

They've incorporated a few Toshiba sensors, but there's little doubt that this is an Exmor. Canon is the only other company that is producing full-frame sensors at a volume that can keep the price this low, and the D750 definitely isn't using a Canon sensor .

Sep 13, 2014 at 04:52 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · So which would you pick: D750 vs. A7 vs. Wait?

If you hike a lot, the A7 is a no-brainer. The other factor you didn't mention is flash sync. Don't know what it is on the A7, but on the Nikon it's 1/200s, a sort of "middle" speed. Myself, I'm on a downsizing kick as I have begun to travel more.

Kent in SD

Sep 13, 2014 at 07:38 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · So which would you pick: D750 vs. A7 vs. Wait?

I don't think the A7/R gives you a meaningful size/weight advantage if you plan to use your old dSLR lenses. If you switched to light MF primes, the advantage would be more pronounced, but I've found the A7 to be cumbersome when hitched to larger AF dSLR optics particularly AF zooms. At one point I thought about replacing both my Nikon D800 and Leica M240 with the A7R, since it was lighter than what I had and could use lenses from both systems. However, I found that I couldn't really warm up to it; it's not especially ergonomic, the shutter is LOUD, and I didn't like all EVF all the time. In the end, I returned it.

I'd get the D750, and sell the Canon lenses.

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:53 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.