Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

Michael H
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

johnctharp wrote:
No mirrorless setup outside of the A7 series is going to give you the low-ISO quality of the D610/D750/D810, or the high-ISO quality of the 5D III/6D.

Thanks John. Even before this inquiry for the trip, I have been looking at the A7. The problem is that it doesn't look to have the weather sealing I would like to have.

Is it better than I'm thinking it is? Would you put it into the same category of those already mentioned?

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

Buy an older Nikonos and one lens. Use zone focusing and you will be able to photograph on the beach, the jungles and underwater.

Simple and effective.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

I think your be very pleasantly surprised by the image quality of the m4/3 options here. And the lens size savings are substantial. Does it have the cleanliness at low ISO of a FF system? No, but it's very good for all but the most demanding situations/ print sizes.

And it'll have better DR than FF Canon.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:00 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

I wouldn't be so sure. The Samsung NX1 will have new IsoCell technology. I've been shooting the NX30/3000 alongside my A7r (after selling my Canon gear), and those cameras do a splendid job at low ISO, and a very good job a high ISO - all with great dynamic range. IsoCell is expected to improve both low and high ISO performance, and there could be some DR improvement as well. The NX1 is weather-sealed, as well as the 16-50/2-2.8 S and the expected 50-150 S.

[rove johnctharp wrote:
No mirrorless setup outside of the A7 series is going to give you the low-ISO quality of the D610/D750/D810, or the high-ISO quality of the 5D III/6D.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:23 AM
mogul
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

Michael H wrote:
Thanks John. Even before this inquiry for the trip, I have been looking at the A7. The problem is that it doesn't look to have the weather sealing I would like to have.

Is it better than I'm thinking it is? Would you put it into the same category of those already mentioned?

No one seems to be complaining...Sony seems to be pretty good with weather sealing. I do not know much about E mount lens to camera interface for sealing; the A mount doesn't need a gasket for sealing.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

Jman13 wrote:
I think your be very pleasantly surprised by the image quality of the m4/3 options here. And the lens size savings are substantial. Does it have the cleanliness at low ISO of a FF system? No, but it's very good for all but the most demanding situations/ print sizes.

And it'll have better DR than FF Canon.

Thanks for adding this. It's easy to get distracted and looking all around resulting in no decision. Can anyone say "squirrel"? I knew you could. (gosh, showing my age I suppose with that last little bit)

Let us know how that 40-150 Oly looks at Photokina!

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

pdmphoto wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure. The Samsung NX1 will have new IsoCell technology. I've been shooting the NX30/3000 alongside my A7r (after selling my Canon gear), and those cameras do a splendid job at low ISO, and a very good job a high ISO - all with great dynamic range. IsoCell is expected to improve both low and high ISO performance, and there could be some DR improvement as well. The NX1 is weather-sealed, as well as the 16-50/2-2.8 S and the expected 50-150 S.

[rove

For me, I'm going to stay away from whatI consider to be a fringe player in this space. Their technology may indeed be incredible but until it gains some wider acceptance I'm out.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM
bmorena

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

I use a em5 and a7. I enjoy the usability and files from both. I've shot the em5 in some pretty rainy environments with the unsealed 17 1.8 without issue. I've never tested the a7 sealing but I just read trey ratcliffs accout of the abuse he put his a7s through at burning man and they seemed to handle it well. Given its dust not rain but seems encouraging. I'd also add the oly 12-40 is fantastic but unbalanced on a non gripped em5 and the manual focus clutch from Olympus is also great.
http://www.stuckincustoms.com/category/travel/nevada/burning-man/

Sep 14, 2014 at 01:06 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

Thanks for sharing that link. There are some really incredible images in that collection. Wow.

Sep 14, 2014 at 05:34 PM
pinholecam
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

I would recommend a look at Pentax K50, K5IIs or K3.
Not only are they weather sealed, they have a good range of higher end and cheaper lower end lenses that are sealed.
Most other brands either have less weather sealed lenses or only more expensive higher end ones.

For example, I seldom shoot in poor weather, but when I know that I might be putting my camera at higher risk, I use an inexpensive WR kit lens.

Taken with the K30 and 18-55 WR kit lens (older model to K50)

Yes, THIS is Pentax K30 WR! by jenkwang, on Flickr

Sep 14, 2014 at 08:36 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

I'd say that is some pretty good weather sealing!

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Bluffer
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

Michael H wrote:
I'd say that is some pretty good weather sealing!

I got my K-3 out yesterday and I'd forgotten quite how well made and user friendly it was. Even considering the DA 60-250 f/4 for the thing.

Definitely worth a look. Used go for pretty cheap by the way, look for a K-5IIs, should be bottoming out by now.

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

The main downside with Pentax is the DA* 16-50. It's well sealed, but optically it's in need of an update. The excellent K-3 and K-5 sensors overmatch its performance. The 50-135 is not in the same boat, being excellent on even the latest bodies.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Bluffer
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Best solution with great weather sealing?

mawz wrote:
The main downside with Pentax is the DA* 16-50. It's well sealed, but optically it's in need of an update. The excellent K-3 and K-5 sensors overmatch its performance. The 50-135 is not in the same boat, being excellent on even the latest bodies.

It's not good and it's stupidly expensive. Glass is what lets Pentax and in particular the weather sealing aspect down.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:51 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.