Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

ultravista
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

My D3 shutter died last night (flashing ERR). Is it cheaper to send it to an authorized Nikon repair center or have Nikon repair it themselves?

There are 20+ authorized repair centers in the US. Would they all be different in their pricing strategies for repairs such as this?

What can I expect to pay to have the shutter replaced?

Sep 13, 2014 at 09:52 AM
Reagan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

APS is where I have sent my camera for repairs They have a good following

http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com

Reagan

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:09 AM
ultravista
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

Would APS be cheaper than Nikon for repairs?

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:24 AM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

It may be cheaper, but you'd have to send your camera to both places to get a quote for a price comparison. D3 shutter is expensive probably around $300 just for parts plus labor.

Here's a link you might want to look at. This may not be just the shutter or it may not be the shutter at all.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3107181#forum-post-40001009

Lora

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:50 AM
CJMiller
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

APS replaced the shutter on my D7100 this past summer. Shipping included, I think it ran about $450. Very quick turnaround, 4-5 days.

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM
ultravista
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

Not sure exactly what is happening but the shutter curtain remains closed. The mirror flips but the curtain stays. This happens with a lens, without a lens, and in mirror lock-up.

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM
ultravista
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

Crap, $450 for the shutter?

Sep 13, 2014 at 02:45 PM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

ultravista wrote:
Crap, $450 for the shutter?

It'll be a lot more than that for a D3. Especially if there's more going on, as that link I gave suggests is possible.

Lora

Sep 13, 2014 at 04:55 PM
ultravista
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

So let me ask this question ...

I've been shooting Nikon for 10+ years and have not had to replace a shutter mechanism. What seems like a coincidence may perhaps be the root of the problem.

During my shoot Friday, my lens (and frontal bone) took a decent blow from the cage fence when two fighters collided in front of me. Nothing to bad, but it was a WTF moment and I immediately felt soreness above my eye.

About 20-30 frames later the shutter went south.

While this is a D3, a rugged camera meant to weather many things, I am wondering if the hard bump into my skull has anything to do with the shutter problem. It seems hard to believe, perhaps happenstance at this point, but it did happen shortly thereafter.

Your thoughts?

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:41 PM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

ultravista wrote:
So let me ask this question ...

I've been shooting Nikon for 10+ years and have not had to replace a shutter mechanism. What seems like a coincidence may perhaps be the root of the problem.

During my shoot Friday, my lens (and frontal bone) took a decent blow from the cage fence when two fighters collided in front of me. Nothing to bad, but it was a WTF moment and I immediately felt soreness above my eye.

About 20-30 frames later the shutter went south.

While this is a D3, a rugged camera meant to weather many things, I am wondering if the
...Show more

Interesting and painful. No way to know unless and until you have it evaluated, BUT it does seem too coincidental to me. Maybe your head is harder than you think. I hope the financial "damage" isn't too much.

Lora

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

ultravista wrotemy lens (and frontal bone) took a decent blow from the cage fence when two fighters collided in front of me. Nothing to bad, but it was a WTF moment and I immediately felt soreness above my eye.

#1)
Everyone seems to say great things about APS in Chicago. As for the Nikon Service Centers in El Segundo, CA and Melville, NY- well, it's more the rarity when someone writes something good about them.

#2)
Google "Second Impact Syndrome" and "TBI", and you'll understand why, as important as your camera is, I would be more concerned about other damage. Seriously- I do know a hiking friend who wound up with Epilepsy because they didn't have a head injury treated.

Sep 14, 2014 at 08:58 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

Call APS for a rough estimate
http://nikoncamerarepair.com/

Definitely also have the head injury looked at, too.

Sep 14, 2014 at 09:21 AM
ultravista
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

The jarring of my head and gear wasn't that substantial, no bruising on my head at least. I am usually quicker to respond (duck) but didn't see it coming. Today I feel a little uncomfortableness above my eye. Nothing bad. Hard to imagine it was enough to rock the shutter.

Perhaps the impact is the root of the shutter issue.

With the mirror up, the shutter curtain is stuck closed (cannot see the sensor).

Do I understand correctly that if an authorized repair center cannot remedy a problem, they will send it to Nikon? Wouldn't that drive-up the repair cost?

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:02 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

I've not heard that said about them. They will send you an email with the actual estimate and wait for your approval, if you don't preauthorize them to just fix it. Give them a call in the morning, and the phone is answered directly, no voice mail, menu tree to play with, a real human answers the phone.

Definitely sounds like your noggin needs a look see if you're still feeling some uncomfortableness today. I still suffer migraines from the blow to my head in 1989.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

ultravista wrote:
The jarring of my head wasn't that substantial, no bruising on my head at least. Today I feel a little uncomfortableness above my eye. Nothing bad.

Therein lies part of the problem... brain injuries usually aren't visible.

With 2nd-impact syndrome, the brain swells up from the first impact. Then the second impact happens days or weeks later. The 2nd blow doesn't even have to be directly to the head- the head just has to be shaken hard enough by an impact to another part of the body. The skull which normally protects your brain then compresses it.

In my friend's case, they had a concussion a few weeks earlier. The 2nd blow was when they fell about 8 feet and their backpack snagged, injuring their shoulder. They never thought of any damage to the brain.

It's a free country, and you're the one to make the choice (at least currently)- but I urge you to have it looked at by a medical professional.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM
ultravista
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

Got it - thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

I didn't mean to sound callous about your injury. There's usually lots of joking around these forums. An impact around the eye socket causing brain injury? Better safe than sorry. Obviously your health is more important than a material object like a camera body.

Lora

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:35 PM
ultravista
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

No worries, I do appreciate the concern. I'll visit my primary physician soon and see what he says.

Sep 14, 2014 at 01:23 PM
ultravista
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

For those interested, this is the image of the fighter being pushed into the cage. A few seconds after this, the thud of the camera was felt ...

http://www.ultravista.com/assets/images/D32_8468.jpg

Sep 14, 2014 at 06:27 PM
Tete
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D3 Shutter Died Where Should I Send it for Repair (US)?

i sent mine to cris camera here in Az it was reasonable. Authorized Nikon repair with warranty to boot. Just for clarification I did not have the shutter replaced as they said mine did not have any issues and works as new. They said most D3 will go for well over 400k on the shutter.

I did have the grips, LCD and mounting ring replaced as the LCD fogged up and the grips just needed replacing. I did the mounting ring just because they said it might be needed in the near future. So i told them to go ahead a replace it.

Edited on Oct 01, 2014 at 06:42 PM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2014 at 07:01 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.