Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Anyone going to Bosque this winter?

dalite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone going to Bosque this winter?

I have never been there and am tempted to go between November sand December. It would be nice if a group of FMers could get together and share transportation/motel expenses. I'm from the SF Bay Area.

Trenchmonkey, could you chime in and give some advice?

Sep 13, 2014 at 01:08 AM
Alan Louie
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone going to Bosque this winter?

Assuming you mean Bosque del Apache in New Mexico. I used to live in Albuquerque and have a bit of insight in the couple times I went there.

The migration season for the majority of the birds is fairly tight, I would say within a 2 week period. Between the last week of Thanksgiving and the first week in December was pretty safe for me.

During the peak, it gets quite crowded with a lot of big glass on big tripods. The birds tend to stay in different places throughout and I found it a bit of a crapshoot if they'd be in a great spot (imo over/near water) vs in a field. One spot to check around sunset is actually just outside of the Bosque where there's 2 ponds you pass on the way to the entrance on the side of the mountains. I got lucky on a few shots there with a great evening silhouette.

Can either stay in Albuquerque or Socorro. Albuquerque's merely an hour drive away and it's an easy shot down there. You might also want to consider a quick trip to see the Very Large Array about an hour or so west of Socorro.

http://www.alanlouie.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/page_scale/images/20091212%20Bosque%20del%20Apache%20758.jpg

Sep 13, 2014 at 01:24 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone going to Bosque this winter?

I plan on a day trip or two if I'm still in nm then. I'll probably go during the week less crowded and get a Rv so I can stay closer and have a base camp fir the mid day break. I'll be open to cost sharing if interested. I can get a rental at holloman and drag it up and back cheaper than a hotel/motel during that season and there is a small park as you head to the reserve from San antonio plus ft Craig is also south of the bosque for some of the historian photos. I might be able to find the map of the refuge with the boardwalks and water bodies on it if it didn't get thrown away. The Rv can also be used for crituge and image reviews. I have two laptops one with a centig nut can loan out the other with a Intuos med tablet. Both woul have LR and ps plus the EOS software. I can instal the nikon software on them also. I have a usb3 cf card reader I use a hyperspace device then down load from it. You would need your own wifi connection as mine is limited. Size of Rv will depend on number of individuals that commit thirty days ahead of time when the reservation for the Rv is required. The one I'm thinking of has a queen bed and two bunks I get the queenas I'm have health issues that limit my mobility. I sleep with a Cpap but it is fairly quite. Much quite with than without. If we dry camp no hookups I've a device to plug it in and will charge it during the day with a generator I have. Also fuel for gen would be splited everything will be combat split ie total divided by number of users. If more than rv can handle then we use the rv as base camp those that prefer motel will not be charged rv rental fees but will be charged other expenses like fuel, lot fees etc. food is up to each person. Socorro is around twenty five to thirty miles from entrance of refuse about five miles closer to rv park. There is a local gas station convince store that does sandwhiches in San antonio. Sorcoro got the normal nm fast food chains. Like Arby's, kfc, meds, sonic and Burger King. They have one or two steak places and probably several local cusien.

Sep 26, 2014 at 09:52 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.