Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Welcome to the D750, Nikon's response...

jsv_20
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Welcome to the D750, Nikon's response...

Spec-wise/features-wise it seems like the D750 is actually Nikon's late response to the a99.

The a7x series is in a league of its own (or as Leica Boss stated about Sony's tiny wondercam is that it's the new Leica). The a7x cameras have caught the giants slumbering. They've been slow to respond, and Sony is going full throttle to keep their momentum going. Of all the companies out there Leica, Nikon, and Pentax (Ricoh) are the only ones with the legacy glass who can really respond--Canon abandoned their FD mount a long time ago--I doubt they would see the benefit of creating an FD digital camera (but if they did you'll see the old glass shooting up in price and plenty of old farts dancing for joy).

Not to beat a dead horse again but the Df could have been Nikon's response to the a7x cameras--had they really reached back to their roots and their legacy and basically created a manual-focusing Df (i.e. no AF-motor and thereby making it smaller like the old FM/FE cameras) and kept the ability to do video (as a bonus thrown in) they would have had a winner (and less backlash from Nikon users). I know they would have gotten my money and not Sony. I still enjoy using MF glass and Nikon has so much of it out there. And don't remind me that it's possible to use MF glass on the Df or any current FF Nikon DSLR--my point is the Df could have been smaller and more along the lines of the a7x series cameras and been Nikon's response.

Having said all of that tools are tools. The D750 looks like a nice camera--I'm not too sure about the black monocoque (that carbon fiber stuff) because after watching a 4ft drop test on youtube--I'm not convinced it's as durable as magnesium alloy--but it is the direction Nikon appears to be taking. It seems whoever predicted that the black monocoque would show up in FF cameras was correct. Expect to see it in the pro bodies once its proven itself.

Right now I'm sitting on the fence about Sony--as fun as it's been to use my MF glass--I'm disappointed in Sony's approach. They produce more cameras than they do lenses, and that's a shame. They should focus their resources on getting the lenses people want--they could do this by keeping their cameras going a little longer by updating the firmware (so customers don't feel ripped off by the price dropping so rapidly when a new model is introduced) and offer lenses at price points that actually make sense. Fuji seems to have gotten that side of the equation right--and their system is maturing fairly nicely. I have a feeling Sony is going to lose plenty loyalty because of their approach to push a new camera every time they create new tech.

My two cents on this issue--I think trenchmonkey's on to something about video...

Sep 14, 2014 at 08:59 AM
Canyonlands
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Welcome to the D750, Nikon's response...

Why would Nikon make efforts to respond to a Sony DSLR camera? They haven't in the past. From a business sense, that would be a waste of their time because there's not enough market share moving in that direction to worry about.

This is why specs of a product are less of a barometer for determining what a company's intent is than the tried and true practice of reverse engineering their marketing campaign, which is what I was paid very well to do within the industry. Companies like Nikon sink a lot of thought, time and money into their messaging, to ensure they reach a product's target market. Want to know what they were thinking with camera X, look no further than their marketing push. In Nikon's mind, the D750 appears to be an agile, compact, highly capable platform for making movies as well as clean high ISO images. (GH4 / A7 territory)

Personally, I don't care about movie making capabilities in a DSLR, but I am interested in seeing how the D750 does within the low light stills area.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:12 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.