New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Advice - Pittsburgh, PA

BillM_

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice - Pittsburgh, PA

Hi All,

I am heading to Pittsburgh, PA to take my son on a college visit. We will have limited time on Sat evening and Sunday afternoon. Looking for best places to take some portraits. I am fairly familiar with Pittsburgh. I grew up there as a child and visited many time since as an adult. However, I have never put much thought into cool, urban spots for portrait photography. We will be downtown. I can think of some places like mount washington, some of the cooler bridges, maybe the dome of the pennsylvanian, PPG square, station square, and the strip district. Looking for input on the best places to try with limited time.

Thanks, Bill

Sep 12, 2014 at 06:57 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice - Pittsburgh, PA

You pretty much named all the relevant spots. Parts of Lawrenceville are decent.

Sep 13, 2014 at 01:27 AM
BillM_

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice - Pittsburgh, PA

ahhh, lawrencville. I lived in Lawrencville as a small child. 39th street just off liberty. I have not really been back since it has been reviatalized and hip except to eat dinner and have a beer in the church where I was baptized Any specific recommendation on spots in lawrencville?

Sep 13, 2014 at 07:23 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice - Pittsburgh, PA

PM "epphoto" here on FM. Emmanuel is the premier photographer of the Pittsburgh area. He can get you headed in the right direction.
The MT Washington incline is a MUST!!! The old Point Pleasant Park where the Ohio and Mongahela Rivers meet is also great!!
Dan

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice - Pittsburgh, PA

What about the football and baseball stadiums? Is there a baseball team?

Sep 13, 2014 at 02:53 PM
tryan56
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice - Pittsburgh, PA

Hi Bill

A couple cool spots are, over at Station Square, behind the Hard Rock Cafe, you'll see a little walking bridge that leads to a tower with a glass elevator. At the end of the walking bridge are a couple little balconies that look out over the river, with the city as a backdrop. A nice place to get some isolation.

Over on the North Shore, at the "open" end of Heinz Field, theres a statue of Mister Rogers, which is set in an oval - shaped opening , leading over to the river. From there you can get shots of both Heinz Field, and the river. It's a very nice vista.

Just a short drive away from both locations, is the University of Pittsburgh, and the Cathedral of Learning....which has some really nice scenery conducive to portraits.

Tim

Sep 15, 2014 at 05:18 AM
williamcarter
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice - Pittsburgh, PA

I work on campus at Pitt. In addition to the suggestions above, the area around Phipps Conservatory is very scenic, including a lily pond.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:23 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.