New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Fish Eye for Nikon fill frame bodies

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fish Eye for Nikon fill frame bodies

Hi All, I am looking for recommendations for very good fish eye lenses - to be paired with can be used with D800/D810. Preferably between 8-10 mm focal range however open to other suggestions. My budget is to get something under $800 or so.

Thanks
msoomro

Edited on Sep 12, 2014 at 07:00 PM · View previous versions

Sep 12, 2014 at 06:46 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fish Eye for Nikon fill frame bodies

For that focal range the only excellent fisheye is the manual focus 8 f/2.8 AI-s which is out of production and sells generally north of two thousand dollars. I've not shot with the lens but a few folks who've visited the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread in this forum use the lens, including a fellow named Rafael who regularly posts. He lives in the San Diego area. Here's a photo of the lens and one shot taken with it...

Nikon 8 f/2.8 AI-s From Rafael

Sep 12, 2014 at 06:55 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fish Eye for Nikon fill frame bodies

Thanks for the post CGrindhal. That woudl be out of my budget though. Updating my post to reflect :-)

Sep 12, 2014 at 06:59 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fish Eye for Nikon fill frame bodies

Samyang have just announced a 12mm Full Frame fisheye. I would wait and see how this lens turns out to be

Sep 12, 2014 at 07:02 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fish Eye for Nikon fill frame bodies

msoomro wrote:
Hi All, I am looking for recommendations for very good fish eye lenses - to be paired with can be used with D800/D810. Preferably between 8-10 mm focal range however open to other suggestions. My budget is to get something under $800 or so.

Thanks
msoomro

8-10 mm range usually means a circular fisheye - not one that fills the whole frame. If you want a full frame fisheye for the D800/810 options include:

Sigma 15/2.8
New Samyang 12mm/2.8
Nikon 16/2.8D
Nikon 16/2.8 AIS
Nikon 16/3.5 AI

I've not tested them all, but among the Nikkors only the 16/3.5 will do the D800/810 justice. I've wanted to try the Sigma and now the Samyang. Nikon is rumored to be coming out with a new fisheye sometime soon (12 months?).

I believe all can be had for under $800 used (and some maybe new too).

John

Sep 12, 2014 at 07:53 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fish Eye for Nikon fill frame bodies

and the Samyang/Rokinon 14/2.8 presumably John ?

Sep 12, 2014 at 08:20 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fish Eye for Nikon fill frame bodies

I have the 14mm Rokinon and it's far from a fisheye. The viewing angle is significantly less than what a 16mm Fisheye produces, nor does it have much distortion. It is a great lens, but someone seeking a fisheye (as in distortion) won't be happy with that lens.

There is also a Russian made Zenitar 16mm that's pretty cheap, but image quality is rather poor.

Full frame - does that mean for FX body or a fisheye that fills the rectangular image frame?

As a niche lens, there's the 8mm Rokinon made for DX bodies. The new version with removable lens shade can be used on FX and will create an almost circular image, or you get an old one and modify it yourself

http://youtu.be/2InvBUsA7Q8

Sep 12, 2014 at 09:03 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fish Eye for Nikon fill frame bodies

hijazist wrote:
Samyang have just announced a 12mm Full Frame fisheye. I would wait and see how this lens turns out to be

I'm waiting too, but we don't know the release date nor the price at this time AFAIK.

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:12 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fish Eye for Nikon fill frame bodies

cadman342001 wrote:
and the Samyang/Rokinon 14/2.8 presumably John ?

What Peter said

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fish Eye for Nikon fill frame bodies

The new Samyang 12mm is full frame 24x36, and appears(based on the Samyang sample images) to have the desirable stereographic projection formula.

Sep 13, 2014 at 01:41 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.