Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Will this computer fit my needs for Photoshop CC 2014 and Lightroom 5

crossover37

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will this computer fit my needs for Photoshop CC 2014 and Lightroom 5

Hello,

I'd like to upgrade my computer because it's slowing down now that it's a few years old. I use Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC 2014. When I export images from Lightroom it turns my computer off because the CPU usage is at 100%.

Here is my current system: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220792

Will the desktop below meet my needs to provide fast exporting for photos and videos without making the computer slow down or turn off?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-K450-3-4GHz-i7-4770-8GB-1TB-Nvidia-GT-635M-Win-8-Desktop-/131279866875?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item1e90e3cbfb

then there's this option too, same as the Lenovo but a little bit better specs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-IdeaCentre-K450-Core-i7-4770-3-90GHz-2TB-12GB-DVD-WiFi-NVIDIA-GTX650-2GB-/261587082215?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item3ce7ce1be7

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will this computer fit my needs for Photoshop CC 2014 and Lightroom 5

sure, but I'd say 16gb memory is better when you do some heavy stuff in photoshop. And use an ssd drive for the OS and apps (running lightroom cats from a regular hard drive is not that big of an issue if you pre-render previews).

Sep 12, 2014 at 02:30 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will this computer fit my needs for Photoshop CC 2014 and Lightroom 5

Lenovo is okay. Prefer Asus.

Really, if you are going to upgrade, why buy a machine that is good for now and will have you wanting more in a year.
I would wait and double the $.
All systems will slow down when exporting. Exporting is not like file transfer. I would lower expectations a little.
Also depends where the raws are located and what you export to.

I purchased a custom machine more than a year ago ... I still happy with no desires to upgrade.
custom = personally built. My first one.

I would look into newegg.com. Check out there building pc videos on youtube.
3 videos. easy.

Basically going with what evertdoorn mentioned:
Fasted processor you can afford.
16gig min RAM.
SSD drive + HD
decent MB. me - like Asus.
properly sized power supplies.
video card - middle road
Verify connectivity, as in usb 3.0 ports
OS

Your editing machine is not a place to cut corners, IMHO.
You will be using this tool for many different fuctions.

Either a PC or a good laptop will work.

good luck.

Sep 12, 2014 at 07:43 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will this computer fit my needs for Photoshop CC 2014 and Lightroom 5

For that kind of money, I'd look at the CyberpowerPC rigs over at New Egg. Bought one for my son last year, and we've been extremely happy with it. Get a lot more for your money.

Sep 12, 2014 at 08:40 PM
Yaryman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will this computer fit my needs for Photoshop CC 2014 and Lightroom 5

There is this PC company that is well known the sells desktop computers that you can customize.
I have had good luck with them. I also seem to be the only person here that buys their computers.

The company is HP.

A couple of suggestions.
If you are buying a desktop, get one that will hold several hard drives.
If you are buying a desktop, get a SSD as the main drive.
If you are buying a desktop, don't buy the top of the line CPU, get a upper mid level CPU.
If you are buying a desktop, make sure it's got USB 3.0 ports.

If you want to see how your current CPU compares to more current CPU's this list has more than 130 different CPU processing benchmark scores.

Free Photoshop Benchmark Test

Sep 12, 2014 at 09:34 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Will this computer fit my needs for Photoshop CC 2014 and Lightroom 5

I always end up with desktop Acer PC's. In fact, my new one should be in today, and then I'll be upgrading it with a SSD, additional 2TB of storage, and another 8GB of RAM to take it up to 16GB.

Sep 15, 2014 at 02:14 PM
aspirebooth
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Will this computer fit my needs for Photoshop CC 2014 and Lightroom 5

If you are going to buy a desktop then quite honestly it is a pretty poor decision to buy a named brand PC as they always always always bundle them with lesser quality components. Quite frankly you are better off going on to NewEgg and buying all the components and building your own system.

It's incredibly easy and you'll get way more bang for it not to mention a desktop that looks the way you want it to look.

Sep 15, 2014 at 03:36 PM
Michael Beard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Will this computer fit my needs for Photoshop CC 2014 and Lightroom 5

I buy Dell Precision Workstations refurbished from Dell Outlet for my "day job" all the time- we have probably 12-15 of them in service. In the past 3 years the only issue I've had was a bad motherboard that was replaced for free with the next business day on-site warranty.

Personally I built my own editing machine, but if I wasn't willing to do that I would look for a T1700 with an i7-4770 and a SSD. If you do happen to go with Dell Outlet, make sure you search for coupon codes before you check out- I've saved up to 25% on machines before!

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.