1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2014 · Panasonic LX100 ?

absolutic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Panasonic LX100 ?

FlyPenFly wrote:
I would wager that the LX100 lens is going to be better than the Panasonic 12-32mm. That was an okay lens, not really that great. I was hyped up for it and it was a big let down even after 2 copies and it's prone to shutter shock.

I was actually quite happy with GM1 and 12-32 other than I wish it was longer at the tele end for portraits. I took it to Vegas and it performed admirably up to ISO3200. Here are my photos from that trip.
http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=67741

I since sold the GM1 because I simply have too many cameras. I loved it size though, it was truly pocketable and not much larger than RX100. It basically fit in my back jeans pocket. And I could it take anywhere, including Vegas clubs where I previously had problem being stopped with Sony A7r+35FE lens combo..... With GM1 and 12-32, everyone thinks you have a compact point-and-shoot. Having slick design with not many buttons helped as well.

That LX100 with its size and amount of buttons everywhere, I doubt I would be able to get it sneaked by the security at concerts or clubs....

Sep 17, 2014 at 01:29 AM
itai195
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Panasonic LX100 ?

I've been pretty satisfied with the 12-32. I agree the LX100 lens will probably be better, and of course faster, but then I can stick a bunch of fast primes on the GM5 for low light or better IQ. Plus that new tele zoom would pair with it to make a tiny kit.

It's a pretty easy call for me. No doubt the LX100 has some nice frills, but unless you have really baggy pockets I think it slots into a no-man's land between the RX100's pocketability and the GM5's flexibility.

Sep 17, 2014 at 01:38 AM
absolutic
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Panasonic LX100 ?

itai195 wrote:
I've been pretty satisfied with the 12-32. The LX100 lens will of course be faster, but then I can stick a bunch of fast primes on the GM5 plus that new tele zoom would make for a tiny kit. It's a pretty easy call for me. No doubt the LX100 has some nice frills, but unless you have really baggy pockets I think it slots into a no-man's land between the RX100's pocketability and the GM5's flexibility.

Agree 100%. If anything I wish they had left a spring flash built in in GM5 but I guess there was no space. I dont like these little attachment flashes, they are extra piece to carry with you. Speaking of which, what's the Flash Xsync on GM5, does anyone know? GM1 had a meager 1/50 which basically meant I could not use it as a daytime camera at the beach or anywhere I needed to use a fill in flash during day light

Sep 17, 2014 at 01:42 AM
itai195
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Panasonic LX100 ?

The flash sync is unchanged according to dpr, which is unfortunate.

Sep 17, 2014 at 01:49 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Panasonic LX100 ?

I'll be visiting the Panasonic booth to do an extended hands on with the LX100 (among other things) today. It looks great in person.

Sep 17, 2014 at 02:23 AM
absolutic
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Panasonic LX100 ?

Jman13 wrote:
I'll be visiting the Panasonic booth to do an extended hands on with the LX100 (among other things) today. It looks great in person.

ask them what the xsync rate is for the flash please

Sep 17, 2014 at 02:46 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Panasonic LX100 ?

Tested flash sync myself: 1/4000s with electronic shutter and 1/2000 with mechanical. Nice camera. Controls are exactly like the Fuji X series. Exactly.

Sep 17, 2014 at 04:37 AM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Panasonic LX100 ?

Jman13 wrote:
Tested flash sync myself: 1/4000s with electronic shutter

That implies one of two things:

1. It is a global electronic shutter - which I have a very hard time believing since if it did they would have advertised it to the stars.

2. The flash is using multiple bursts - which is very doubtful for a weak on camera flash.

Are you sure the electronic shutter flash sync is that fast? I'd expect something more like 1/40 second or slower.

Sep 17, 2014 at 07:07 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Panasonic LX100 ?

All I know is that the flash fired, it showed a flash illuminated exposure and no odd bands at 1/4000. With the mechanical shutter on, it wouldn't let me even shoot above sync speed at 1/2000, so I'd imagine it would limit the electronic shitter in the same way if it needed to.

Sep 17, 2014 at 08:44 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Panasonic LX100 ?

Full report (plus some other m4/3 stuff like the GM5, the tiny 35-100 and the CV 10.5/0.95):
http://admiringlight.com/blog/hands-panasonic-lx100-gm5-voigtlander-10-5mm-f0-95/

The LX100 was pretty cool. It's not perfect, but I quite liked how it handled, and since they copied the Fuji controls, I also immediately knew how to use it and such. The Panasonic guys were rather unknowledgeable about the camera, though, and they didn't seem to realize that they'd released a small 35-100 until one of the other staff members pointed it out.

Anyway, the show's been good so far. It's HUGE, but good.

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:49 AM
absolutic
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Panasonic LX100 ?

Jman13, if you go to Canon stand, can you ask the Canon people a question I am still waiting to be answered, how come they did not put Wi-Fi in 7D Mark 2? Nobody so far has answered this question to me.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:43 AM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Panasonic LX100 ?

@absolutic - What exactly would that accomplish? I mean he'll just get some marketing gibberish from someone who doesn't know anything anyway. But I do understand your frustration, seems an odd omission.

@Jordan - Thanks a bunch for the write up, and especially for making the effort to get a first look at the wee little 35-100.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:53 AM
absolutic
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Panasonic LX100 ?

kwalsh wrote:
@absolutic - What exactly would that accomplish? I mean he'll just get some marketing gibberish from someone who doesn't know anything anyway. But I do understand your frustration, seems an odd omission.

I do want to know how the Canon people weasel out of the real answer on that one.
I have a guess that the answer would be that they put a metal cage for weather proof on 7DM2 and that screws with Wi-Fi antenna. They'd say that they could do it on 6D because it is not as 'metallic'. But I am still curious, because it just does not make much sense

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Panasonic LX100 ?

Just to confirm: zoom can only be controlled by wire, presumably? I would greatly prefer it to be mechanical, but I guess that would make the lens a bit larger.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:30 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.