New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2014 · Panasonic LX100 ?

goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Panasonic LX100 ?

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-lx100-costs-845e-its-going-to-be-the-best-fixed-lens-compact-ever-made/

form factor looks really promising.

anybody know if this is just some internet generated image based on a wish list, or if this thing is actually going to materialize?

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:17 AM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Panasonic LX100 ?

Based on the track record of 43rumors when they give multiple FT5 rated rumors on a Panasonic product this close to launch their accuracy is pretty darn good.

So I'd say it is almost certain the LX100 exists and is being announced on Monday. As to the individual specs it wouldn't be surprising if a few of them were wrong or misinterpreted but I expect they are largely correct or at least quite close.

At the moment the biggest disconnect seems to be on the physical size of the camera. There is lots of talk of "RX100 sized" but the leaked specs seem to imply more like X100 size. Time will tell!

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:37 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Panasonic LX100 ?

oh, i just googled "dmc-lc1"

i didn't realize that image was an older, actual camera.

i'd actually prefer it be more x100 sized than ultra-tiny. definitely will keep an eye on this, especially if it's got a panaleica fast zoom and retains a compact form

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:40 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Panasonic LX100 ?

The image is of an LC1, which is a real--if outdated--camera. The rumor says that it'll be like the LC1 but barely larger than an RX100; when the notable feature of the LC1 is its large lens and attendant control rings, I hardly see how it can be as pocketable as an RX1. So, the rumormonger is merely mongering.

Also of note is that Leica will be announcing a new fixed-lens compact at Photokina, which tend to pair with Panasonic compacts. So there's likely something new, but, as far as form factor, we learn nothing from that post.

Cheers,
Jon

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Panasonic LX100 ?

If my train gets into Cologne on time I might try and go to the announcement. I believe the Panasonic press event is scheduled for Monday afternoon. Of course, your guess is as good as mine as to what all will be announced but if this rumor is true, it looks really good.

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM
riotshield
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Panasonic LX100 ?

Hard to believe it can be made that small with a MFT sensor and a faster lens than the Panasonic 12-35 or Olympus 12-40. If true, I would definitely consider getting one.

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Panasonic LX100 ?

I think its a bit of hyperbole on that rumor site, which sounds like it could of been written by Steve Huff lol

I don't think its possible to be just "slightly" larger than a RX100, yet have the lens/sensor spec, and remain pocketable, unless the pocket the author is referring to is a winter parka pocket.

This camera should have a very nice feature set, but I think the size is going to be much closer to the LC1, Canon G1x etc.

Take the Size of a Panny GM1, which is about as small as your going to get for m4/3 sensor/body, and stick a 12-35 f2.8 on there. Doesn't exactly fit into your pants pocket...

Now if its a 1" sensor, then I think they could do a slightly larger than RX100 sized body/lens combo, but then again, I find the rx100 mk3 just barely is pocketable for me now.

I can technically fit a Fuji X100 into some of my jeans and shorts, but its quite tight, hard to move, and looks funny.

Fits into a pocket vs something you want to walk around with a pocket all day are two different things

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Panasonic LX100 ?

I agree that it is hard to imagine how it could be just slightly larger than RX100. Of course in width/height, GM1 is already smaller than the RX100, but the crucial depth dimension can't be so small given the sensor size and lens. However even if it is larger - say a G1X II size, it would still be very interesting.

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Uncle Mike
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Panasonic LX100 ?

millsart wrote:
I don't think its possible to be just "slightly" larger than a RX100, yet have the lens

The body could be about the same size, but given the specs of the lens I am sure it's going to protrude a lot, much like a Sony RX1.

Sep 12, 2014 at 05:56 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Panasonic LX100 ?

According to the measurements given it is 4.52 x 2.6" or 114mm x 66m, which is almost exactly the size of the RX 1.

Sep 12, 2014 at 06:12 PM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Panasonic LX100 ?

wolfloid wrote:
According to the measurements given it is 4.52 x 2.6" or 114mm x 66m, which is almost exactly the size of the RX 1.

Yes, that's the disconnect I was referring to earlier. All sorts of folks are saying "a little bigger than the RX100" and I'm fairly certain anyone trying to put a camera in their pocket is not going to consider the dimensions quoted as "a little bigger". If those dimensions are correct then it really is more X100 or RX1 sized.

Sep 12, 2014 at 06:29 PM
deoredx

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Panasonic LX100 ?

I would consider the unfathomable and sell my 12-40 to but this if the price and performance is right. When I use my 12-40 with my ep5 or em5 it is as a single lens kit for traveling. Love the lens but it is a little uncomfortably large for my mu43 bodies. Seems like this would be a more compact single lens system for me.

riotshield wrote:
Hard to believe it can be made that small with a MFT sensor and a faster lens than the Panasonic 12-35 or Olympus 12-40. If true, I would definitely consider getting one.

Sep 13, 2014 at 07:13 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Panasonic LX100 ?

Just finished a road trip with the DMC-FZ1000 ... smaller sensor to accommodate longer FL zoom range ... holds up surprisingly well.

A 4/3 sensor (larger) with a shorter range zoom with excellent glass should be a meritable combination for a complement all in one to the range/size of the DMC-FZ1000.

Based on what I've seen with the DMC-FZ1000 ... I would expect this to be a stellar combination for a couple of self contained units.

Sep 13, 2014 at 09:15 PM
Joseph Marney
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Panasonic LX100 ?

Can we hope for a leaf shutter? Without global electronic shutter, this would be my preference.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:14 PM
riotshield
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Panasonic LX100 ?

It's officially announced now. I guess the lens imaging circle doesn't cover the entire m4/3 sensor, which explains how they kept the size down. Still impressive nonetheless.

Sep 15, 2014 at 08:14 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Panasonic LX100 ?

looks pretty great, except that giant dong of a lens that extends out the front.

Sep 15, 2014 at 08:48 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Panasonic LX100 ?

If it were weather sealed and had a flip screen, my preorder would be in, looks like a fantastic all in one.

Sep 15, 2014 at 08:53 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Panasonic LX100 ?

Assuming the lens IQ is there - this looks like an excellent compact travel camera.
I've been wanting something like this for a long time as my LX7 is fine for size, but not that great for IQ (both noise and lens sharpness) and many times in bright light I wished it had an EVF. The LX100 looks perfect except for the lack of built-in flash - hopefully someone will make a very short/low profile flash as the optional one is too tall for my taste.

Sep 15, 2014 at 09:53 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Panasonic LX100 ?

^No flip screen, unfortunately.

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:29 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Panasonic LX100 ?

I surprisngly think the Canon GX7 looks like the best "compact" camera announced this year

Best combination of size and features to me

LX100 just seems a little too big, and darn is it every ugly with the lens extended. Nice spec for sure, but I'd probably just go with an A6000 or A5100 and Sony's pancake zoom, about the same size and technically larger sensor.

GX7 really fixes some RX100 issues though like lack of touch LCD, dedicated EC dial, clicking lens control dial, more useful zoom range etc, and still fits into a pocket. Should be a pretty good seller for them

Doubt I'll buy any of these though as my RX1 still seems to be pretty unique with regards to size and IQ.

Not pocketable but in the same size package a true 35mm f2.0 is hard to beat, unless you really need a more versatile zoom range

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.