New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Photography Equipment and Air Travel

Tuska

[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photography Equipment and Air Travel

My question is related to photography equipment and air travel. When I travel most times I manage to carry my limited equipment in my tarmac backpack, although carry along baggage limit in 5-7 kgs so far I have not been stopped for weight check. I have never put all this expensive equipment in check in baggage as I have been advised not to since check-in baggage is badly handled. My question is what is the best option or what should I do if I have to carry more equipment say couple of cameras and a few more bulky lenses. It would be really helpful if someone who has been in such a situation guide me on this. What are my options? I'm based out in Georgia and most of my travels is domestic. Thanks!

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:40 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photography Equipment and Air Travel

Several threads here on this topic worth a search for a large variety of experience and opinions.
Most photo luggage makers will advertise which pieces meet carry on size requirements. So your main choice will be soft vs. hard sided. The soft sided bags are plentiful and you'll just have to compare them and see what you like. The Pelican 1510 is hard sided carryon compliant case that even fits under 1.5 seats on puddle jumpers. Gate checking would be safer with the Pelican, but a large drop (ie from check-in handling) would require significant padding inside in addition to the stock padding. This would be true for the soft sided bags as well though.
What do I use?
For lots of gear without a supertele, I use an F-stop loka with a large ICU. I don't put much else in the Loka except for a small tablet and such so it will easily fit in overhead or under the seat. This avoids questions too since the bag appears smaller than most carry on bags.
I've used the large think tank retrospective bag for carry-on but found I love the loka backpack. Its more comfortable running around the airport and I can use it for day hikes at my destination.
For lots of gear with a supertele, I use a Pelican 1510 with padded inserts.
Some love and routinely use soft cases for superteles like the thinkTank brand.

David

Sep 12, 2014 at 07:44 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photography Equipment and Air Travel

Here's my take on it.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1309544/1#12505286
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1309544/1#12513705

Sep 12, 2014 at 09:40 AM
soupcxan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photography Equipment and Air Travel

What airline are you flying that has a weight limit for carry on baggage? I've never encountered this on American or United.

Between a personal item (backpack) and 21" roller bag you should have plenty of room to carry on your camera gear.

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.