Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Continue waiting for a D700 replacement...

lara_ckl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Continue waiting for a D700 replacement...

I use the D700+MB-D10 combo. Love it. If I am upgrading, it would be to the D810 because the only "con" of the D810, to me, is the lower fps. I can handle the large file sizes, and will stubbornly ignore the video.

Here's my reasoning: I use 8fps only for sports. My sports photos are never printed big. I give (cough) my sports photos at the end of the season to the other parents. I am "competing" against iPads, and, at worst, Rebels and D3xxx. If this is my only use, I would never upgrade.

If I upgrade to the D810, I can achieve (almost) the fps in crop mode. I get more reach, and lose some of the detail potential of the sensor. I would still get the extra pixels, better high ISO and larger DR of the D810 compared to the D700.

In all other shooting scenarios for me, the D810 wins with no compromising needed.

Everything except the extra $$$.

YMMV

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Continue waiting for a D700 replacement...

lara_ckl wrote:
If I upgrade to the D810, I can achieve (almost) the fps in crop mode. I get more reach, and lose some of the detail potential of the sensor. I would still get the extra pixels, better high ISO and larger DR of the D810 compared to the D700.

More reach than what ? Do you realise that there is no increase in reach to be achieved by cropping a photo, which is what the crop mode does ? It simply doesn't use the outer pixels but there are no extra pixels on the subject and no change in effective focal length - relative to the same D810 in FX mode.

Normally, extra reach is achieved by using a smaller sensor with the same number of pixels as the bigger sensor, so you get more "pixels per duck" (which is my definition of "reach"). That was the case when the DX and FX sensors all had about 12 Mpx but is irrelevant when using the exact same sensor in the same camera and simply cropping the image.

Although you get extra frames per second you might have a problem with running out of room for capturing expanding action events or with too much of the action being out of the frame while the AF sensor is still on the critical part. You may not have time to choose another focus sensor and/or start the AF again with a better composition. I prefer to have all of the pixels in use and frame loosely, knowing that I can crop later on if needed. I understand that you might well need a higher frame rate but sometimes you get better AF at slower frame rates because there is more time between shots for the camera to check the focus and make adjustments. It's a juggling act in which I usually drop the balls and so I generally stick with using the entire sensor when I can to eliminate some of the variables that might ruin a good shot.

- Alan

Sep 14, 2014 at 03:59 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Continue waiting for a D700 replacement...

You are right. I am thinking of "cropablity" and "pixels per duck" as the same thing when I shouldn't. I my mind, cropping, within acceptable output resolution, equals "more reach".

Edited on Sep 14, 2014 at 07:28 PM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2014 at 07:05 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Continue waiting for a D700 replacement...

I really see the D800 series as the replacment to the D700. Am I missing something? I know a lot of people are still holding on to the D300/D700 and their still great cameras, but the D800 series seems to be better in mind.

I think sometimes we get too hung up on models and etc, and as long as were happyh with a d200 and getting the shots we want we should be happy and increase our portfolios and enjoy our hobby

Sep 14, 2014 at 07:15 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Continue waiting for a D700 replacement...

My opinion of the D700 replacement?

It was the D4. It's a low megapixel, low light, do-all monster that aggressively and confidently rips into focus....just like the D700 did in its time.

Sep 15, 2014 at 06:16 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Continue waiting for a D700 replacement...

gfinlayson wrote:
On reflection, the original D700 must have seriously dented potential D3/D3s sales given it offered very similar performance in a smaller package. It's a mistake Nikon has obviously decided not to repeat.

Or it was there to poach market share from canon which at the time they desperately needed.

Sep 15, 2014 at 06:47 AM
Frode
• •
[X]
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Continue waiting for a D700 replacement...

Why a replacement? It's a wonderful camera, even today.

I'm buying myself a backup camera for my D3S (sold both a Df and D800...) tomorrow.......a mint D700 :-). Looking forward to get my hands on this camera again!
wenkanzhu wrote:
May be until the day nikon bankrupted...

Sep 15, 2014 at 07:27 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Continue waiting for a D700 replacement...

Frode wrote:
Why a replacement? It's a wonderful camera, even today.

I'm buying myself a backup camera for my D3S (sold both a Df and D800...) tomorrow.......a mint D700 :-). Looking forward to get my hands on this camera again!

You're absolutely right. Just like the Canon 5d and many other older FF cameras the d700 is a viable camera that will produce extraordinary images. Those who feel no compunction to upgrade need offer no excuses. Those who want something new have many alternatives. Don't worry. Be happy.

Sep 15, 2014 at 08:45 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.