New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12       13       end

Archive 2014 · Nikon D750 is official..

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Nikon D750 is official..

Canyonlands wrote:
There are top profile, highly regarded wedding/event photographers who use the D800/D800E/D810 and have not been hampered by amp glow or any other perceived shortcoming with these bodies. Pick any camera body that's ever been produced or will be, and there are those who will see "problems" with it, while others go on to drive their art and/or business forward with the same allegedly compromised tools.

You can speak for these top profile photographers and say for certain that they have not been hampered by or had to work around anything at all in these cameras? You must know them pretty intimately.

I find others' experiences useful as comparative tools and reference points, but not as opinions to take as my own. I prefer to leave my judgment up to my own experiences, whether supported or antagonized by others, but still my own experiences.

What's your personal opinion of these bodies and any perceived limitations? Your honest opinion, as if you weren't being scrutinized by any of your peers about your answers?

That's what I try to do. I try to be objective and honest about my opinions and experiences. I often get negative feedback, but I'm neither trying to get that nor trying to avoid it. It's more important for me to be faithful to myself and my own earnest efforts.

My personal experience is that the amp glow at high ISOs makes the shadows (including dark hair, eyes, etc.) red/purple/blue instead of true black, and contrast and detail are lost wherever that glow appears. Also, it "stains" the entire image a color that can be reduced - but not eliminated - by adding a counter-color layer. This is only partially effective because the exact noise profile is always at least slightly different. Because it's imprecise, the results look better on a small image than on a large one.

My experience is that the D800/D810 and 5d2 all do this quite strongly past a certain point; the 5d3 goes about a stop higher before it's significant; and the images I've played with from the 1dx and Df (and some images from the d4/d4s, though with conflicting results) do significantly better with amp glow not really standing out before the main chroma/etc. noise also becomes overbearing. I know the camera makers are aware of "amp glow" in some form.

This is one of the early links about amp glow/D800 noise: http://www.nikonuser.info/fotoforum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1585

This is a link to an image taken by a D800(e) showing the purple hazing from amp glow: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/172-pentax-k-3/201525d1389316293-k-3-compares-well-d800-amp-glow.jpg

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:59 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Nikon D750 is official..

Your link uses artificially created ISO 102,400 shots created from underexposed ISO 25,600 frames to expose this "issue" on the D800...I'd hardly call that a design flaw and I can't imagine that affects many photographers. If you need ISO's that high you should be using a D4S or Df.

My D810 has absolutely zero amp glow at ISO 3200-6400, and I highly doubt I have a magical camera. Haven't shot much above that yet.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Nikon D750 is official..

CanadaMark wrote:
Your link uses artificially created ISO 102,400 shots created from underexposed ISO 25,600 frames to expose this "issue" on the D800...I'd hardly call that a design flaw and I can't imagine that affects many photographers. If you need ISO's that high you should be using a D4S or Df.

My D810 has absolutely zero amp glow at ISO 3200-6400, and I highly doubt I have a magical camera. Haven't shot much above that yet.

It really looks like people are working hard to pick nits. Using the above example, just shows how hard some people work to keep harboring a negative opinion. I have a D800 and have not seen amp glow in normal shots (not long exposures) at the ISO 3200-6400 region.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM
form
• • • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Nikon D750 is official..

Even in Capture NX-D preview, as I look at an ISO6400 RAW image unedited from a Nikon D810 (an image I took at a local D810 "presentation" conference/tryout meet), I can see the glow creeping into the shadows at the bottom of the frame. All that needs to happen for it to be visible at ISO3200 is a small boost of the shadows (to extract more shadow detail in a black tux/suit/etc. in an exposure balanced around a light-skinned subject).

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Nikon D750 is official..

I've only seen amp glow on some night images at 6400 ISO. Actually that's the only time I've seen them and even then it's not a problem since I just bump the blacks a little and desaturate the purple channel a little or brush it out. YMMV.

Form has very high expectations for any camera, that it has to check all the boxes and not be expensive to boot. Unrealistic man, something has got to give. And truthfully, if it's good enough for long-time, high-charging wedding photogs it must be good enough for the lower-charging ones too. No?

There's a very successful photographer on a local forum that still uses a 40D for crying out loud. Not exclusively but it just goes to show it's not all about the gear. Tearing apart brand new camera bodies is almost comical at this technological junction. If it's not good enough now, it won't ever be.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Nikon D750 is official..

What is amp glow and what does it look like?

Sep 19, 2014 at 01:31 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Nikon D750 is official..

r.gil wrote:
Can someone show a pic with "amp glow" It almost sounds sensual....

Apparently it's more elusive than the Bigfoot I have never even heard of it until I read form's posts. I have about 10K shots between my D800E and D800 and not one sign of it.

Sep 19, 2014 at 01:38 PM
vadafallon
• •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Nikon D750 is official..

No one is comparing this to a D800, just the d810. I own the d800 and i am considering downgrading.. or side grading cause it really seems that it's not a downgrade at all. Less megapixels sure but you gain a lot of other things. Thoughts?

Sep 19, 2014 at 01:39 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Nikon D750 is official..

sjms wrote:
"Built-in Wi-Fi sharing and remote control

Sharing and transferring your favorite D750 photos is fast, easy and fun.

So that's why I don't shoot as much. Transferring files just doesn't cause me to break into great paroxysms of joyous laughter! Hallelujah! The joy is back!
---------------------------------------------------------------
(Standard disclaimer) No little sarcazzies or humories were injured in writing this post. They were squeezed nearly dry, but are being re-hydrated and recovering as I type this.

Sep 19, 2014 at 01:41 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Nikon D750 is official..

rw11 wrote:

You probably will never see it until you attempt to extend your camera's absolute maximum extended ISO range several stops beyond it's designed maximums, or try and pump your high ISO exposures to extremes.

I've never seen it either, in tens of thousands of high ISO images. It doesn't seem to affect the work of countless professional wedding photographers using the D800/D810 either, so it's safe to assume it's a complete non issue for most everyone but Form.

Sep 19, 2014 at 02:33 PM
r.gil
• • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · Nikon D750 is official..

For what I'm discovering about "amp glow" I have to say that I kind of like it, it ads an unexpected dimension to photography.... Assuming that we are talking about photography and not gossiping about equipment...

Sep 19, 2014 at 02:48 PM
form
• • • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · Nikon D750 is official..

The only time I use ISO6400 is at night/indoors. That's the time when the amp glow shows the most due to color balancing. It's difficult to reduce the effect on about 1000 photos.

Most receptions I shoot require ISO1600-3200 for me with f/1.4-f/2 apertures and 1/100-1/160ss, in order to capture some ambient light and blend it the way I subjectively think looks best for ambiance + flash enhancement + limit motion blur/ghosting. I often set my off-camera flashes at 1/128 to 1/64 power to not overpower the ambient excessively or perform unintentionally as key lights instead of gentler edge/rim lights.

There are also occasional situations where the reception is outdoors, at night, with minimal lighting and little or nothing to bounce light off, and in those cases a good ISO12800 or even ISO25600 plus f/1.4 would be very useful.

In most situations, a great ISO6400 would be very nice. My 5d2's don't do this, and IMO/from my experience the D800/D810 don't do this. The 5d3 gives a usable ISO6400 in exchange for terrible low ISO shadows and major focus delays in low light. The 1dx, d4/d4s, Df, D610 and D750 all appear to do this. However only the 1dx, d4/s, and D750 have the best autofocus systems paired with them, and only the D750 is under $6k.

The narrowing process is pretty simple for me. The single most viable option available to me in my budget (and avoiding a brick camera) is the D750.

However, I still want to see what it can do. $2300 + ND filters, PC sync adapters, spare battery, SD cards, etc., is a lot of money for me.

Sep 19, 2014 at 02:51 PM
form
• • • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · Nikon D750 is official..

Amp glow is probably irrelevant to most people who shoot in black & white and/or tend to have their blacks well above actual black point. To my eyes it looks like a deterioration of IQ and very difficult/inconvenient to correct with any amount of attention to detail.

Sep 19, 2014 at 02:55 PM
Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · Nikon D750 is official..

CanadaMark wrote:
You probably will never see it until you attempt to extend your camera's absolute maximum extended ISO range several stops beyond it's designed maximums, or try and pump your high ISO exposures to extremes.

I've never seen it either, in tens of thousands of high ISO images. It doesn't seem to affect the work of countless professional wedding photographers using the D800/D810 either, so it's safe to assume it's a complete non issue for most everyone but Form.

Sep 19, 2014 at 02:56 PM
Doug Maclean
• • •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · Nikon D750 is official..

After reading most of this thread..my thoughts..as if any would care anyway
1) 1/4000 Is a killer
2)If I meet someone in person who says Amp glo they will be beaten about the head and neck with a switch of there own choosing

Sep 20, 2014 at 06:19 AM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · Nikon D750 is official..

I read about three pages of the comments, and it seemed to be the typical praise of the new release and predictions of doom before the camera even hits the market. I guess it shows who Nikon was marketing the D750 to. Only time will tell what it lives up to.

For me, it looks like a good choice for a future camera. While I love the D300/D700 bodies with my 70-200 f/2.8 mounted on it, I'm getting tired of carrying all that weight when I'm spending a significant amount of time shooting. I still love the results, but smaller and lighter is a plus in my book. Lately I've been shooting more with a Tamron 70-300 I recently purchased to cut down on weight. Yeah, I love the bigger lens, but I'm getting older and appreciate lighter.

The SD cards are a minus since I'm heavily invested in CF, but I'd get over that. Having two G-series Canon P&S's, I've got a few relatively large SD's around that will tide me over until I build that up. As a companion to a D7100, the SD cards might be a plus.

That articulating screen made me think I found the answer to some issues I've had recently. Thanks for that feature!

In the end though, I'm having two bodies bought by the insurance company to replace my F5 and F100 that were stolen. I think those bodies will be the D810 (or DF) and the D7100. That comes the closest to what I think I'll use the most. The D750 will have to wait. (I know - this contradicts the smaller/light comments earlier, but that is what the D7100 is for.)

However, the D750 sounds like it might work quite well for a travel camera when paired with the 24-120. Considering that I am planning a trip to Europe (possibly Italy) in the next year or so, I may add that combo to my list of things needed for that trip. The D7100/D750, Nikon 24-120, and Tamron 70-300 should cover most needs. Throw in the new Nikon 20mm prime and I might catch those wider angle shots too, though the bag would be getting a bit heavy again.

David

Sep 20, 2014 at 07:42 AM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · Nikon D750 is official..

rw11 wrote:

Here ya go:

David

Sep 20, 2014 at 07:55 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · Nikon D750 is official..

hey guys I know nothin about nikon cameras except of the ability of the d800 to recover insane shadow detail.

do other Nikons like this d750 have the same capability, or is that something unique to the 36 mp sensor?

Sep 20, 2014 at 08:01 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · Nikon D750 is official..

goosemang wrote:
hey guys I know nothin about nikon cameras except of the ability of the d800 to recover insane shadow detail.

do other Nikons like this d750 have the same capability, or is that something unique to the 36 mp sensor?

All the 16, 24 and 36MP Nikons have this capability. The 36MP sensor is the best of the lot in terms of shadow recovery, but the Sony 16MP and 24MP (DX & FX) sensors are nearly as good, as is the 16MP Nikon sensor in the D4 series and Df. The Toshiba/Nikon 24MP sensor used in the D3200, D5200 and D7100 is the least capable of the lot for this, but still remarkable compared to a 5Dm3's sensor.

Sep 20, 2014 at 08:31 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · Nikon D750 is official..

cool, thanks. just curious.

Sep 20, 2014 at 09:54 AM
       12       13       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

12       13       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.