Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       8       end

Archive 2014 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

nads
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

pKai wrote:
Nice..... Interesting..... At Amazon.co.jp, the 5D III is $700 cheaper delivered to the US than at Amazon US...... $2400 vs $3100.

At $500, the M3 is priced more where it should be... right there with the likes of the SL-1 and others.

Interesting is what got me using the EOS-M originally. I had just come back from a family vacation with a 3 year old and 11 month old. I imported to lightroom and was completely disappointed by phone/point & shoot images, but I had to resort to them because I didn't want to lug the 7D everywhere.

3 weeks later the EOS-M was on sale for $299 with 22mm and I had to try it at that price.

For being panned by critics and forum posters everywhere, most of my favorite shots of the past year and a half came from the M and most of those are shots that I woudn't have had with a DSLR because I simply wouldn't have taken it with me. That's why I rarely think to compare performance to any DSLR, to me they're different tools for different purposes.

I've come close to buying the M2 on Ebay for $600 in the past 6 months and I'd probably pay $800 for the M3 without much of a thought if I had to. I'd still be money ahead versus buying the 11-22 equivalent alone in any other system.

Feb 14, 2015 at 09:27 AM
ndirienzo
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

nads wrote:
Interesting is what got me using the EOS-M originally. I had just come back from a family vacation with a 3 year old and 11 month old. I imported to lightroom and was completely disappointed by phone/point & shoot images, but I had to resort to them because I didn't want to lug the 7D everywhere.

3 weeks later the EOS-M was on sale for $299 with 22mm and I had to try it at that price.

For being panned by critics and forum posters everywhere, most of my favorite shots of the past year and a half came from the M
...Show more

I couldn't agree more. I absolutely love my M. Sure, there are downsides, but the small form of the camera and great IQ makes up for it.

Also, I've seen the M2 body going for $300 on ebay.

Feb 14, 2015 at 09:34 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

Yeah - I got the m2, 18-55, 55-200, flash and adapter for less than 600 (after eBay bucks)

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:47 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

curious80 wrote:
A promising alternative would be the Samsung NX500. Paired with the 30mm f2, it gives a small package just like the EOS-M with 22mm. At the same time early indications say that sensor performance is very impressive so it can replace the A6000 for landscape as well. It also has nice portrait lens options, the lenses are also generally cheaper compared to Sony and if NX1 is any indication, the AF should be great as well.

If Samsung releases a NX50 with EVF, or optional EVF, that is what would get my interest. I think the NX1 is very impressive, but would also like a smaller sized option with similar performance. I just can't see myself using the NX500 without EVF capability when shooting longer lenses. Just doesn't feel right to me.

The Japanese market M3 & EVF combo is quite tempting, and would let me use my EF lenses. While I wouldn't want to lug around a bunch of big Ls with it, something like the 11-22, 22/2, 40 pancake and an 85/1.8 (last two with the EF adapter, of course) would be reasonable, IMO. I guess a Metabones adapter and a6000 is also doable, with slow AF. Just the Sony 10-18 zoom is in a different price point and size range...

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:54 PM
nads
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

Pretty excited here. My M3 shipped yesterday from Amazon.co.jp. Should be to the forwarder tonight and at my house in 2-4 days.

$487 for body and EVF... I think the feature set hangs with anything it that price range.

Mar 25, 2015 at 06:01 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

That M3 grip looks very nice. Could be a very nice documentary tool if the AF is usuable and shutter lag is minimal. Does it have focus peaking?

Mar 25, 2015 at 09:27 PM
mspencer1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

nads wrote:
Pretty excited here. My M3 shipped yesterday from Amazon.co.jp. Should be to the forwarder tonight and at my house in 2-4 days.

$487 for body and EVF... I think the feature set hangs with anything it that price range.

Let us know what you think when it arrives. Very interested to hear how the autofocus performs.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:09 PM
nads
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

Paul Mo wrote:
That M3 grip looks very nice. Could be a very nice documentary tool if the AF is usuable and shutter lag is minimal. Does it have focus peaking?

It does have focus peaking in both still and video modes.

Mar 26, 2015 at 03:44 PM
voltaire
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

Nads,
Mine got delivered to Tenso from Amazon Japan yesterday. I'm still on Tenso watch on my email for battery insertion approval. :-) For folks who might not know, the batteries need to be inserted in the camera for it to be shipped via EMS.

I will share some pics from the M3 when I get it. Please do the same.

Thanks,
Voltaire

Mar 26, 2015 at 03:49 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

nads wrote:
It does have focus peaking in both still and video modes.

Here is a copy of the M3 manual: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0300017917/01/eosm3-cu-en.pdf

It does for still, which was my interest. But, I did not check video.

Mar 26, 2015 at 04:44 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

nads wrote:

Mine is on it's way also, but I was expecting it to take 2-4 days to just get through my forwarder. I am using Tenso ... who are you using.

Yeah ... $487 for body and VF is a great deal when the VF is $240 by itself at B&H here in the US. So I am looking at the deal like I paid $247 for the body.

Mar 26, 2015 at 04:51 PM
nads
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

voltaire wrote:
Nads,
Mine got delivered to Tenso from Amazon Japan yesterday. I'm still on Tenso watch on my email for battery insertion approval. :-) For folks who might not know, the batteries need to be inserted in the camera for it to be shipped via EMS.

I will share some pics from the M3 when I get it. Please do the same.

Thanks,
Voltaire

Same boat for me... unfortunately tenso likes to email at 4:45am Eastern, which is right before they close. I'd love to get the thing shipped out of their facility tonight.

I'm leaving on vacation in 9 days... debating on where to ship the body.

Mar 26, 2015 at 08:08 PM
nads
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

UCSB wrote:
Mine is on it's way also, but I was expecting it to take 2-4 days to just get through my forwarder. I am using Tenso ... who are you using.

Yeah ... $487 for body and VF is a great deal when the VF is $240 by itself at B&H here in the US. So I am looking at the deal like I paid $247 for the body.

I'm also using Tenso. I ordered an SD card from amazon just as a trial balloon to see how long the shipping would take because I knew I'd be close. From payment to email notification that they had shipped it was right at 24 hours. What I didn't track was how long it took from when Amazon tracking showed it delivered to Tenso's original email saying they'd received it.

Mar 26, 2015 at 08:13 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

UCSB wrote:
Here is a copy of the M3 manual: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0300017917/01/eosm3-cu-en.pdf

It does for still, which was my interest. But, I did not check video.

On page 74 of the manual, it says that manual focus peaking can be used in stills and movies.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:09 AM
voltaire
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

Nads and UCSB,
No sign of M3. EMS update: Dispatch from outward office of exchange and this was on 3/31 at 12:04 a.m. Japan time. I would like to think bottleneck could be SFO. Still waiting.

Apr 01, 2015 at 09:27 PM
mspencer1
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

look forward to seeing some photos when it arrives

Apr 01, 2015 at 09:30 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

voltaire wrote:
Nads and UCSB,
No sign of M3. EMS update: Dispatch from outward office of exchange and this was on 3/31 at 12:04 a.m. Japan time. I would like to think bottleneck could be SFO. Still waiting.

My M3 has spent the last 5 days sitting at Tenso ... it was supposed to ship today. So you are a day or two ahead of me. You might put your tracking number into the USPS tracking system and see where it is now. Once in the US, your most accurate info will be on the USPS site.

Apr 01, 2015 at 10:02 PM
voltaire
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

UCSB,
It shows in US Customs already. Hope yours ships out soon.

Apr 01, 2015 at 11:21 PM
nads
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

Mine has been sitting in US Customs in Los Angeles since 3:42pm on 4/1. I'm not really happy about it sitting there for 24 hour sat this point... particularly after I google around and see that it isn't unusual for 10-30+ days there if they don't make it out in the first day.

Mine was slightly ahead... it was dispatched from outward office of exchange at 11:33.

I sent it to the family I will be visiting for a week. I get there Saturday. Now I just hope it gets there before I come home.

Apr 02, 2015 at 03:49 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · EOS M3 - Will I be the only one disappointed..

pKai wrote:
Nice..... Interesting..... At Amazon.co.jp, the 5D III is $700 cheaper delivered to the US than at Amazon US...... $2400 vs $3100.

At $500, the M3 is priced more where it should be... right there with the likes of the SL-1 and others.

This is a bit OT, but in the last couple months, while window shopping various cameras and lenses, I've noticed that the US is no longer necessarily the best place to find deals, like it was maybe 10 years ago before the 'great recession'. But I think it's more so the case in the last 6 months as the USD has gained a huge amount against most other currencies, yet non-US brands have not adjusted their US retail prices accordingly. The conspiracist in me believes they're intentionally milking the benefit of the exchange rate after many endured a period where the USD was quite weak, which caused pains because they had to keep prices low during that time for the US market.

Sometimes here in Canada, for certain Canon items, it's considerably less expensive than buying from the US. But where I've seen it more is your example above. Japan used to always be more expensive than buying in the US... not necessarily any more. I've also found that some EU brands are considerably less expensive if imported from the EU.

Swinging back to the M3 - I'll be in Japan in early May and am tempted to pick one up, but it seems the couple camera shops I've checked so far are selling the kits at somewhat of a premium compared to Amazon (maybe about $50, so not too bad). In any case, looking forward to your results and feedback about it.

Apr 02, 2015 at 06:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.