Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · iPhone 6 dimension - issues?

andyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iPhone 6 dimension - issues?

I'm intrigued by some features of the new iPhone that address NFC, but I'm also thinking about the image dimensions and what these new screens will do to images cropped to 2x3 and 4x5 ratios.

The 5S is 1136x640, the new 6 is 1334x750 and the 6 Plus (with better battery life and an IS lens) is 1920x1080.

I was starting to play with the math and lost time. I'm afraid the 6 Plus is just adding too much headroom, or am I looking at this wrong?

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:13 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iPhone 6 dimension - issues?

In each case you will be limited by the smaller dimension. For 3x2 the largest resolutions you will get on these will be 960x640, 1125x750 and 1620x1080 respectively. You can similarly compute the largest 4x5 by multiplying the smaller dimension by 1.25

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iPhone 6 dimension - issues?

Why would it be important to look at images on a little 5" screen? I cannot understand the hoopla around the new phone but I'd think that the last thing I'd use it for is looking at pictures.

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · iPhone 6 dimension - issues?

The best camera is the one you have with you, the best photo viewer is too.

It's not a large print, but it's a good alternative when you just want to see some of what you've done.

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM
decoop

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · iPhone 6 dimension - issues?

Sarsfield wrote:
Why would it be important to look at images on a little 5" screen? I cannot understand the hoopla around the new phone but I'd think that the last thing I'd use it for is looking at pictures.

If you can't understand that just think how looking at photos on an Iwatch will cause your head to explode, and believe me, it's coming. (I don't understand it either)..

Sep 11, 2014 at 01:07 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · iPhone 6 dimension - issues?

Sarsfield wrote:

That's how most of the world now views photos, watches videos and listens to music. I feel like a dinosaur tied to a Cinema Display and Hi-Fi system with freakin' vinyl lined walled. However, it's easy to understand my people use iPhones to view pictures or listen to music: it's all about convenience. If it ain't easy 'n fast they ain't gonna bother looking.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · iPhone 6 dimension - issues?

Get over it. For me, it's too big a device to carry around in my pocket. I'm sticking with my 5. If I want bigger photo display, I'll use the iPad or iPad mini.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · iPhone 6 dimension - issues?

Yeah with everybody wearing skinny jeans, I don't know what Apple was thinking. Of course, that iPhone 6 Plus straining pocket seams might be an advantage in certain places, e.g., "is that an iPhone 6 Plus in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" sort of way. On the other hand, most of my students don't actually pocket their phones but, instead, carry in hand 24/7, playing networked games and ready to respond to texts or update status. My pants are so loose my 5s gets lost in the depths of the pocket so I have to wear a freakin' OF/nerd belt case.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:46 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · iPhone 6 dimension - issues?

I don't know about the new iPhones, but I have been using the Samsung Note 2 and Note 3 for the past two years. These two phones have the same resolution as the new iPhones. Images look fantastic on these high resolution screens. I will sometimes crop some of my images for the 1920x1080 screen on my Note 3 ... same resolution as my HDTV. These phones are premium mobile image viewers.

I don't have any trouble carrying the Note 3 ... but, I noticed that the iPhone + will be .2" inches longer. The phone will fit fine in your cloths .... at least until you try and sit down ... then you will see how it really fits. This will vary with various cloths manufacturers. Some pockets will be to short and you will not be able to sit down with the iPhone 6 + in your front pocket. I think Samsung was very wise to not increase the size on the Note 4 over the Note 3 when they introduced it.

Sep 14, 2014 at 05:12 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · iPhone 6 dimension - issues?

I'm glad iPhone is going bigger I've got were I barelycan make out stuff on my current iPhone. I wasn't planning on upgrading until I saw they were enlarging the form factor. I just updated my iPad to the air from a iPad 2 or 3 before they went to the hide screen.

Sep 14, 2014 at 04:15 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · iPhone 6 dimension - issues?

Gochugogi wrote:
Yeah with everybody wearing skinny jeans, I don't know what Apple was thinking.

Big phones are for women who keep their phones in their handbag, not in their pocket.

Sep 16, 2014 at 07:39 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.