Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tilt-Shift Lens... Parallel tilt and shift?

jonnyt5050
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tilt-Shift Lens... Parallel tilt and shift?

Hello everyone,

Favor to ask: Can someone please post a few landscape photos using a tilt-shift lens where the tilting and shifting are parallel. (e.g. the tilt was up/down and shift was vertical as well). (or both horizontal).

background: I've recently picked up a Nikon 24mm PC-E where the modification was done to allow it to tilt and shift parallel directions (Nikon tilt/shift lenses do not allow this to be easily changed whereas Canon lenses can change as needed).

By and large, I've read this parallel modification would be largely preferred by landscape photographers. But I'm wondering now if my style wouldn't actually be better off with standard 24mm pc-e setup. For example, standard works well to tilt down to get close foreground and background in focus and using shift to get a nice wide panograph shot. I thought if I could see a few photos where parallel was used though, I could make a better determination.

I've done quite a bit of searching on the net and I see lots of commentary but very little in the way of photographs. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Sep 10, 2014 at 05:52 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tilt-Shift Lens... Parallel tilt and shift?

Check out my post "Storm in Arnarfjörður" made this morning here.

Sep 10, 2014 at 07:01 PM
jonnyt5050
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tilt-Shift Lens... Parallel tilt and shift?

Very nice. And when you shift up for the sky, do you bother to un tilt your lens or just leave it tilted?

So being Canon, you can change on the fly. Do you find that most of your shots are parallel tilt and shift?

Thank you for the reply.

Sep 10, 2014 at 07:07 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tilt-Shift Lens... Parallel tilt and shift?

The procedure I employ is: first Shift to get the basic frame of the desired composition, then impart Tilt to achieve depth of field. You may have to go back and tweak Shift. Yes, the new Canon TS lenses have independent movements for T & S.

No, I don't always employ both T & S. Depends on the composition.

Sep 10, 2014 at 07:22 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tilt-Shift Lens... Parallel tilt and shift?

This thread might get moved, but anyway...

Here's one I did earlier this year with my Nikon 24mm PC-E & D800E. Yes, my tilt & shift are on the same axis. Procedure: To start, I also always level everything first with a Really Right Stuff Pano head. Then, shift for composition, then focus far (on the mountains), then tilt down to bring the foreground into focus, recheck composition, refocus on mountains, then check tilt focus again. Do as much as necessary till you get tired of it. With practice you will see the foreground pop into focus on the LCD. I always use live view and zoomed as much as I can too. Be sure your adjuster knobs don't slip, it can suddenly tilt on it's own.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1302849/0#12428583

Sep 10, 2014 at 08:44 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tilt-Shift Lens... Parallel tilt and shift?

Here is a good thread where people with Tilt-Shift lenses post images. Go down a few posts on page 12 to see some of my shots using a 17mm TS-E.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1219961/11

Honestly, I very rarely used both T and S at the same time. The only time I ever used them both together in parallel was for the shot of Mountain Rainier with the white flowers. Most of the time I either used one function or the other, because when used together the lens performance just wasnt very good in the sides and corners. Even so, a lot of the perspectives I shoot are not possible to capture in single frames with the use of a T/S lens, so I used other techniques to get everything sharp and eventually switched to Nikon selling my T/S lens. The only time I miss it now is when I want to make a quick panorama, and they rarely ever require tilt to get the scene tact sharp because the foreground is often at least a few feet away.

Sep 11, 2014 at 08:16 AM
dasams
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tilt-Shift Lens... Parallel tilt and shift?

jonnyt5050 wrote:
I've recently picked up a Nikon 24mm PC-E where the modification was done to allow it to tilt and shift parallel directions

With a small screw driver and 5 min of you time, you can switch it back.

jonnyt5050 wrote:
By and large, I've read this parallel modification would be largely preferred by landscape photographers. But I'm wondering now if my style wouldn't actually be better off with standard 24mm pc-e setup.

Since the dof for a 24 mm lens is so broad, I've rarely used tilt. Alternatively, I think it would be more important for the 45 and 85 mm lenses. Also, if you tilt down to expand the dof in the lower portion of your image, you are also blurring whatever is at the top. This is because a tilt will rotate and reshape the plane of focus. In my opinion, a tilt is less valuable the more the image is stopped down since the dof is enlarged.

Here's an exercise for you. Go out to a field with a tall tree. Focus on the tree and shoot wide open with zero till. Add increments of tilt maintaining focus on the tree. At some point, the ground in front of you should come into focus while the top of the tree will be blurred. [you can also focus on the ground in front of you and bring the tree into focus as the dof increases] This is a fun little way to familiarize yourself with the changing shape of the plane of focus (which morphs from a plane to something more like a wedge).

Enjoy your new lens

Sep 11, 2014 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.