New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

ontime
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

EDIT: RESOLUTION: Picked up a 24-105 f/4L. Versatility of the lens fits travel and my shooting style well. Several of you recommended this and Dan drove it home.

Hey all,

I'm looking for normal prime for my 6D. I've done a lot of research on various lenses. Obviously, the 45-55mm focal length is very popular so there's a lot of information out there. I guess what I'm looking for is a discussion to cover any outside-the-box lenses (MF alt lenses, or zooms, for example) or a push in a direction to help me decide. I'm totally at a stalemate here in my head.

What I will be shooting:
- I'm an omnivore amateur. The lens will be used for people, street, events, cityscape, landscape, etc.
- I will be going to Tokyo for 16 days in October. That is the priority for the purchase.

Current gear:
Canon 6D; Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.8

Budget: $1,000 maximum

Lenses I've looked at... and my personal thoughts. + is good, - is bad.
Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art
+ One of the best lenses in its class. I own the 35 Art and it's my favorite lens.
+ I own the Sigma dock.
- Super big and heavy. It's bigger than my 35 Art which is a beast. This is the biggest reason I haven't purchased this lens yet.
- Cost is nearly $1000 (which is excellent given the performance I should say)

Canon 50mm f1.4
+ Excellent bargain lens (I've owned it on APS-C and enjoyed it)
+ Above-average performance throughout the aperture range
+ Light and small
- Slightly hesitating on the 50 1.4 as I want to try something different (was: "lens is boring"; it ain't boring!)

Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Planar T*
+ Unique rendering in comparison to other lenses in its class
+ Decent performance after about f2.8
+ Manual focus; I would benefit from being forced to slow down and think.
+ Zeiss build quality
- Manual focus; My keeper rate would probably suffer.
- Not very good wide-open performance in terms of resolution/sharpness (although owners tend not to care)
- For around $750, I don't think the price/performance ratio is very good.
- Might be hard to sell if I don't like it.

Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron
- 40mm is too close to 35mm, non-starter.

Canon 50mm f1.8
+ Solid performance for the price
- I am willing to spend multiple times more for a better lens, construction, IQ, and focus wise. Non-starter.

Leica 50mm F/2 Summicron-R 55
KEH: https://www.keh.com/231705/leica-50mm-f-2-summicron-3-cam-late-r-mount-lens-55

Rokkor 58mm f/1.2
Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400627414570?lpid=82

Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS

Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art

Canon 24-70mm f/4L IS
Thoughts?

Edited on Sep 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2014 at 03:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

You should add the Leica Summicron-R 50/2 E55 to that list of yours. It's a peach. Very not boring.

You should be able to find one in near mint condition (don't need "ROM") for about $550, and spend about $50 on a Fotodiox Pro Leica-R to EOS adapter.

Sep 10, 2014 at 03:50 PM
Glen_C
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

You said prime but 24-105L is a much more useful lens for what you want to do relative to the lenses you already own. For the Tokyo trip i'd take my 16-35L & 24-105L and never miss a shot and have great IQ all the time. Enjoy!

Sep 10, 2014 at 03:51 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

I agree with Glen. 24-105 and take your 11-16 if necessary. Leave the other two at home. Always lots of 24-105's for sale in new condition on FM. Only because many came as a kit package, not because it isn't a good lens.

Sep 10, 2014 at 04:28 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

My vote?

50/1.4 Art AND 50/1.8, 50/1.4 USM, or 40/2.8 STM. The Sigma is for low-light, generally, while any of the other three are for keeping something small and light on your camera that can grab a decent shot at f/2.8+.

Sep 10, 2014 at 05:26 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

I would avoid the Zeiss 50 1.4, IMHO it's not a great lens although some people do like it. If I were you I would adapt a Rokkor 58 1.2, very interesting & fun lens if you're looking to slow down

Sep 10, 2014 at 05:28 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

Do you really need a 50mm if you have a 35 and 85?
Not trying to be difficult, I was just wondering.

For urban use, I'd just get a 16-35f4 and use it with your 85f1.8. Less is more in Tokyo. You'll be surprised at how many small mirror less cams there are in Japan. Large DSLRs are much more rare now.

Sep 10, 2014 at 05:56 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

I would add $200 to you budget and buy the 50/1.2L. That's I've got, after owning most or the 50's you list (other than the Sigma). The Canon L is smaller and lighter compared to the Sigma, and I like the L's wide open softer bokeh; it's more practical for me.

I liked the "boring" EF 50/1.4, and currently also own the EF 50/2.5 CF macro.

But it's hard to argue with the new Sigma for overall IQ for the price.

Sep 10, 2014 at 06:25 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

Why spend it all? 24-105 is so versatile for travel. Sure there are better lenses out there, but I don't leave home without it.

Although I travel "heavy" unless I have that focal range covered with another lens the 24-105 is in my bag.

I use zooms to be able to take photos in less time than using primes as I most often travel with my wife and would not have the time to spend trying to achieve finding the optimal distance from my subject. If you are traveling just to take photos you can do better, but for me photos are not the reason for most of my travel

People beat up on that lens, mostly because they spent more money on a 24-70 f/2.8L II (like I did) and want to justify their decision.

IMO primes are for people who want to spend the time on making what they feel is the best image possible. I certantly understand that, but not for travel.

Sep 10, 2014 at 07:53 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

If I was going to Tokyo I'm want a good light weight zoom. The EF 24-70 4L IS USM or EF 24-105 4L IS USM would be at the top of my list if traveling with a single lens. If carrying a second lens, I'd go even wider and a 16-35 4L IS would be on my short list. Finally, if carrying a third lens, I'd spring for a small prime for low light and stealthy shooting, and the EF 35 2.0 IS USM would be my pick: sharp edge to edge, relatively fast and 3 to 4 stops of IS. I love my 50 1.2L but it's too heavy and specialized for travel.

Sep 10, 2014 at 08:31 PM
Harold St
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

I think that the original Sigma 50/1.4 is a great value now, having been discounted to $350.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

Harold St wrote:
I think that the original Sigma 50/1.4 is a great value now, having been discounted to $350.

I still like that lens; it's unique in a positive way.

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

If you'd consider the Zeiss 1.4/50, why not the 2/50?

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:56 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

Ernie Aubert wrote:
If you'd consider the Zeiss 1.4/50, why not the 2/50?

It's a bit over his budget, and it's slower than the lenses he's looking at- but it is a damn fine piece of glass, certainly sharper at wider apertures than it's faster stable-mate, and with it's own unique rendering.

Sep 11, 2014 at 01:24 AM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

This is why I love FM - so many good recommendations. I will look more closely at the 24-70 and 24-105 range. I love shooting primes but the constant lens switching has been dragging on me.

Another thought would be to get a 24-70/105 f/4 and bring the Sigma 35 ART for night and low-light situations.

jcolwell wrote:
You should add the Leica Summicron-R 50/2 E55 to that list of yours. It's a peach. Very not boring.

You should be able to find one in near mint condition (don't need "ROM") for about $550, and spend about $50 on a Fotodiox Pro Leica-R to EOS adapter.

I will look into this lens. Is this the one you mean? https://www.keh.com/231705/leica-50mm-f-2-summicron-3-cam-late-r-mount-lens-55
---------------------------------------------

hijazist wrote:
I would avoid the Zeiss 50 1.4, IMHO it's not a great lens although some people do like it. If I were you I would adapt a Rokkor 58 1.2, very interesting & fun lens if you're looking to slow down

This Rokkor? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400627414570?lpid=82
Glen_C wrote:
You said prime but 24-105L is a much more useful lens for what you want to do relative to the lenses you already own. For the Tokyo trip i'd take my 16-35L & 24-105L and never miss a shot and have great IQ all the time. Enjoy!

surf monkey wrote:
Do you really need a 50mm if you have a 35 and 85?
Not trying to be difficult, I was just wondering.

For urban use, I'd just get a 16-35f4 and use it with your 85f1.8. Less is more in Tokyo. You'll be surprised at how many small mirror less cams there are in Japan. Large DSLRs are much more rare now.

Tapeman wrote:
Why spend it all? 24-105 is so versatile for travel. Sure there are better lenses out there, but I don't leave home without it.

Although I travel "heavy" unless I have that focal range covered with another lens the 24-105 is in my bag.

I use zooms to be able to take photos in less time than using primes as I most often travel with my wife and would not have the time to spend trying to achieve finding the optimal distance from my subject. If you are traveling just to take photos you can do better, but for me photos are
...Show more

Gochugogi wrote:
If I was going to Tokyo I'm want a good light weight zoom. The EF 24-70 4L IS USM or EF 24-105 4L IS USM would be at the top of my list if traveling with a single lens. If carrying a second lens, I'd go even wider and a 16-35 4L IS would be on my short list. Finally, if carrying a third lens, I'd spring for a small prime for low light and stealthy shooting, and the EF 35 2.0 IS USM would be my pick: sharp edge to edge, relatively fast and 3 to 4 stops of
...Show more

Great recommendations here. I will look into the 24-70/105 zooms and think about the 16-35 at the lower end.

johnctharp wrote:
It's a bit over his budget, and it's slower than the lenses he's looking at- but it is a damn fine piece of glass, certainly sharper at wider apertures than it's faster stable-mate, and with it's own unique rendering.

Yes, it's a bit too expensive. I'm trying to be a little strict wit h the budget else I will end up spending lots of money

Sep 11, 2014 at 02:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

johnctharp wrote:

Some people don't care about what an OP's budget is, they just advise them to buy more expensive gear.

Sep 11, 2014 at 02:23 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

I worked with some of those lenses a while back. This is what I wrote about them on my site: http://photographicwanderings.com/2014/06/18/681/

"So, I’m going to make this quick:
- the Canon 50mm f/1.4: good workhorse for a decent price; doesn’t work with the Metabones III adapter on the Sony A7(r)
- the Zeiss Planar ZE 50mm f/1.4: a bit warmer colors, a bit more contrasty than that Canon, but manual focus only
- the Canon 50mm f/1.2L: the lens to have until the Zeiss Otus and Sigma ART entered the stage; you can do awesome things with f/1.2, but unless you really need that wide an aperture, you’re better off with the Sigma at lower cost
- the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART: great lens for a decent price; a bit bulky and long, whereas the f/1.2 is just bulky; the one to go with nowadays unless you want to squeeze the very last out of your camera sensor, in which case you go with
- the Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4: top quality in all regards, with the price to match; large, heavy, impressive. Manual focus only, though."

Considering you're going to Tokyo, I'd take an AF lens over a manual focus. You're right, the Sigma is large, but it's the best of the AF ones. If you want a small kit, you could take the 40mm pancake instead of a 50mm.

Sep 11, 2014 at 02:34 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

johnvanr wrote:
I worked with some of those lenses a while back. This is what I wrote about them on my site: http://photographicwanderings.com/2014/06/18/681/

"So, I’m going to make this quick:
- the Canon 50mm f/1.4: good workhorse for a decent price; doesn’t work with the Metabones III adapter on the Sony A7(r)
- the Zeiss Planar ZE 50mm f/1.4: a bit warmer colors, a bit more contrasty than that Canon, but manual focus only
- the Canon 50mm f/1.2L: the lens to have until the Zeiss Otus and Sigma ART entered the stage; you can do awesome things with f/1.2, but unless you really need that
...Show more

Great roundup. You made me re-read the 50 ART reviews (yeah, I think I've read them all ) and I really want to buy that lens and do the following lineup for Tokyo: 35 ART, 50 ART, 85 f1.8.

Sep 11, 2014 at 02:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

jcolwell wrote:

ontime wrote:
Is this the one you mean? https://www.keh.com/231705/leica-50mm-f-2-summicron-3-cam-late-r-mount-lens-55

Yep.

With patience, you can certainly get one for a lower price on FM or eBay, but you might like the peace of mind that comes with a lens from one of the main online suppliers, like KEH.

Sep 11, 2014 at 03:07 PM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Normal lens recommendations for Canon 6D

I fly out to Tokyo every other weekend for fun and beer. I take my family out there once every couple of months. 24-105 and one fast prime will do the job well. Lighting in Tokyo is great and 24-105 will do the job. there are times where you will need faster lens but for most, 24-105 will cover it all.. day and night. If I had 24-70 2.8 or f/4 IS, I wouldn't even bring a prime unless I already for plans for centain shots.

/r
Andy

Sep 11, 2014 at 07:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.