FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Client Gallery Set Up

g-money
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Client Gallery Set Up

Finishing up editing a wedding and getting ready to upload them and set up their gallery. Question on how everyone else organizes their clients gallery.I always add a bunch of sub folders (Preparation, Ceremony, Family Formals, Reception, Details, etc, etc) Is this how most of you do it as well or do you just upload them into one big album.

I know it probably makes it easier for them to find certain images if they are organized a bit, but I also feel it can sometimes break the flow of viewing the day as it happened while jumping from folder to folder plus it adds another 15 mins or so time to sort everything out. Just curious if there was a better way.

Sep 10, 2014 at 09:12 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Client Gallery Set Up

I just order all of the photos by capture time and deliver them in one big folder.

Sep 10, 2014 at 09:21 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Client Gallery Set Up

I organize images into folders in Lightroom for various parts of the day and then rename the files in order of those things rather than strictly by capture time. That way the images are organized without needing to deliver them in folders to the client. And this also makes album design a hell of a lot easier when all girls getting-ready are together, all guys getting-ready are together, all reception details are together and not mixed with cocktail hour stuff, etc etc.

Edited on Sep 10, 2014 at 11:42 AM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2014 at 09:52 AM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Client Gallery Set Up

I organize them into albums like you do but with shootproof it also automatically creates an "all photos" album as well. So people can choose which way to view the photos.

Have to say though, as a person who was looking for a wedding photographer I HATED scrolling through one giant folder of photos in an online gallery. I wanted to skip right to certain parts but I couldn't and instead had to scroll...wait for images to load...scroll...wait for images to load...etc. Usually I gave up after 30 scrolls. This was most torturous with pixieset galleries.

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Client Gallery Set Up

I keep one main folder in lightroom, and drag and drop images into the order I want them displayed, which is typically how the day goes.

-Venue shots
-Detail shots (dress, shoes, etc.)
-Girls getting ready
-Guys getting ready
-Ceremony
-Family pictures
-Couple's portraiture
-Reception/events/dancing

Simple as that. No sub files.

Sep 10, 2014 at 01:17 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Client Gallery Set Up

mirrorrim wrote:
I organize them into albums like you do but with shootproof it also automatically creates an "all photos" album as well. So people can choose which way to view the photos.

Have to say though, as a person who was looking for a wedding photographer I HATED scrolling through one giant folder of photos in an online gallery. I wanted to skip right to certain parts but I couldn't and instead had to scroll...wait for images to load...scroll...wait for images to load...etc. Usually I gave up after 30 scrolls. This was most torturous with pixieset galleries.

That scrolling/loading is definitely an issue... it should be loading images in the background while you're looking at pictures...

Sep 10, 2014 at 02:54 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Client Gallery Set Up

One story. One folder.

Sep 10, 2014 at 03:10 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Client Gallery Set Up

HMM, Well let me clarify my method. Everything in LR is one folder in the order everything was taken. After I export I then open bridge and create the sub-folders for organization before uploading to Instaproofs for online viewing and print sales. Now when I am ready to hand over the images to the client on a drive I put two folders one is the large ready to print images and the other is the smaller versions in subfolders that were used during the upload. I was mainly talking about online viewing for my question.

Michael I like your idea but I have not figured out how to sort images manually within LR. Honestly haven't done any searching, but a quick look at my latest gallery shows that "user order" is grayed out and will not let me move any thing around manually. Need to figure that one out. Thanks

Sep 10, 2014 at 04:18 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Client Gallery Set Up

Hi Greg,

I'm sure Michael will confirm or correct but what he's describing can be done in LR Collections. Baseline folders aren't flexible, Collections are and they add no meaningful overhead.

I barely touch Bridge so I can't speak to that part of your process, but since the advent of LR (and it sounds like you're using it), Bridge may be an unnecessary step. I'll be very interested to hear corrections of my info.

HTH,

Chuck

Sep 11, 2014 at 08:46 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.