Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Gitzo 2543L heavier than predecessor?

hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Gitzo 2543L heavier than predecessor?

I'm interested in this as well since I have the same need as the OP. I know from my experience is that Feisol would be inadequate due to narrower base (lightest and cheapest though). I looked into Benro/Induro (I heard you can get a Benro half-price of the Induro if you know someone from China), but they tend to weigh more than most. RRS has less weight than Gitzo while might have a slight edge on stability, and so they cost the most. Personally, I love the new Gitzo base design, but the cast magnesium might rust if the metal is exposed (so no paint chip like sjms said). Such dilemma. People keep talking about the Gitzo big sale at the end of the year, but I have not had my luck yet so far.

Sep 16, 2014 at 06:45 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Gitzo 2543L heavier than predecessor?

Mg does not rust because in contains no iron. It will corrode/oxidize.

Sep 16, 2014 at 07:33 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Gitzo 2543L heavier than predecessor?

sjms wrote:
Mg does not rust because in contains no iron. It will corrode/oxidize.

Ya, I mixed that up

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Alex Nail
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Gitzo 2543L heavier than predecessor?

I went for the GT2542L, the specs seemed better and I could get it £200 less than the GT2543L which felt like a bit of a no brainer. I've also ordered a series 2 gitzo bubble level to help levelling for panoramas. Time will tell if I enjoy using it as much as my 2541EX!

Sep 17, 2014 at 06:52 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Gitzo 2543L heavier than predecessor?

may it give you many years of service.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Alex Nail
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Gitzo 2543L heavier than predecessor?

So first thoughts are that this is a noticeably larger tripod than the 2541ex and should make an excellent hiking tripod. The working height is still good with centre column removed as well.

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:19 AM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Gitzo 2543L heavier than predecessor?

Alex Nail wrote:
The comparison is on the Amazon.com review. It's anecdotal but the reviewer does state that whist the Gitzo tripod is slightly better the Induro model is far better value. Sadly there is no actual information on stability, just people's opinions.

The CT-314 is 2.2kg, 350g heavier than my current tripod and 800g heavier than the 2542L.

I am trying to save weight for long distance backpacking (2 weeks without resupply) but my previous experience with 'traveller' type models is that they are both too short (I am 6'4") and lack stability in the kind of wind you can get in the
...Show more

I have the latest 2532, when compared to my 2531 it is a totally new ball game. I compared the leg diameter of the 2 tripods with a caliper, the legs are measurably larger in diameter than the 2531.The small diameter section is considerably larger. The legs with the collets loosened have almost no play or looseness reducing flex. The leg collets are more substantial as well. The column is a totally different design, much more rigid.The collet on the column is longer and locks up much like a machine collet whereby is has to be broken loose by the wingnut in order to release. When compared to my older 2531 it is much more rigid in use, I notice that ground vibrations are all but eliminated even with the column raised a bit. I used to switch to a 3 series to eliminate vibrations. Now it is no longer necessary. I am well pleased with it so far, even impressed. I would say go for the new one. I doubt that you will be sorry. Good luck in your decision. Haha, now I see that you went for the old one, enjoy it. That's what I get for not reading the whole thread .

Gene

Oct 07, 2014 at 08:06 PM
Alex Nail
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Gitzo 2543L heavier than predecessor?

Having put the tripod to the test now I think it meets or exceed my expectations. I understand that the weight wasnt added randomly and that some thought must have gone into it, but quite honestly 2 series tripod are very sturdy and I'm not sure they really needed to get better for my use! That, particualrly in the context that it is hard to find perfect footing for a tripod on moorland, mountain sides etc so there comes a point where stiffness is less important.
Perhaps the heart of the problem is that I never really use focal lengths longer than 200mm so anything more substantial than the 'old' 2-series wasn't really necessary.
Either way, thanks for your response, it's interesting to hear the differences even if I dont think they are worth the weight!

Alex

Oct 08, 2014 at 03:06 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.