Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

TJ Thorne
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

I call this For Dreams

I've been fighting a lot of personal battles lately. Though I ALWAYS try to be optimistic, hope, dream, and give it my all.. sometimes I let it get the best of me and negativity becomes a more dominant trait. People who know me well know that I absolutely CANNOT continue to feed that energy or succumb to it. The consequences for myself and those around me are pretty grave. I've done a lot of work to steer from that direction.. but the pull is still very real.

My relationship with nature is very personal to me. It's profound and hard to convey. When I can finally let my worries and negative energy slip away, if even for a couple of minutes, I am overcome with emotions to the point of tears. Goosebumps cover my body. It's a moment of warmth coursing through me that I don't get every time I go out.. but when it happens I KNOW that I am in the right spot in life. That feeling is what living should be about.

I've avoided Ramona Falls for over 10 years. I tend to avoid the popular hikes, especially in the summer. However the summer is pretty much only when you CAN hike this trail. What I learned about this trail is that it's popular for very good reason. The trail gains elevation so gradually that it felt like walking on flat ground. Ramona Creek gently meanders and cascades along the trail through a literal carpet of moss and ferns. The sunlight poured through the trees from a cloudless sky, diffusing into warm golden light. The temperature was perfect.

It's hard to not photograph the creek. Part of my relationship with nature is that I must literally FEEL it. I get into it. No waders, no waterproof socks, no tiptoeing on rocks. I enjoy feeling the glacial waters permeate my clothing and chilling my skin. I enjoy the process of becoming so immersed in the elements that I become one with them. That is when I can get into my creative process. I become balanced. My heart is open. My soul is at ease.

When I stepped out of the creek and realized that my shooting partners Tula and Jeff had continued on ahead, I was hit with my moment. Here I was alone, for the most part, in a fairytale setting. I stepped into a ray of sunlight and closed my eyes. For 5 minutes I stood there and absorbed. I tapped into every sense I could and LIVED that moment. The sound of the water, the smell of the forest, the warmth hitting my face, the cool wetness of my clothing, and the bright sun piercing through my closed eyes. I let it overtake.. overwhelm. I opened my eyes and looked around. I was content. Instead of rushing from one place to the next like I normally do in my life I slowly walked on. I shuffled my feet through the pine needles, looked more intimately at my surroundings, and thought 'THIS is what life is'.

To me, there's no faster therapy than the nature that surrounds me. I'm so incredibly grateful that I live somewhere with such easy access to diverse natural settings. I'm working towards surrounding myself with nature on a more constant basis so that I can live more balanced. That road will be a hard one full of uncertainty and sacrifice... but I have hope that the view at the end is nothing short of amazing.

Sep 09, 2014 at 11:42 PM
goomadeer

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

Beautiful image and beautiful words. May your dreams come true and keep up the good fight!

Sep 10, 2014 at 01:26 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

Wonderful Ramona Falls image you have here, TJ.
Your spirit is inspiring. I love people with passion for perfection.
Your story is very compelling.

Are they working on the bridge which was washed away because of the rain?

Kee

Sep 10, 2014 at 06:20 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

sweet light and the water is well done.

David

Sep 10, 2014 at 08:54 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

Great shot. Sweet composition
Harsha

Sep 10, 2014 at 09:13 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

It is a lovely image and so is the story that goes with it

Sep 10, 2014 at 09:17 AM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

Thanks everyone!

Kee.. I'm not sure what the status is on replacing the bridge. It was a seasonal bridge anyways.... but as of the time I went there we had to cross on a log. Flow was low enough that I could have probably walked across the river, though.

Here's a discussion from the local hiking forum that you can read up on if you like: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19849&hilit=ramona

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:35 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

Hey TJ,

What a cool shot. Being in nature is very therapeutic, so I am glad it was able to speak to you.

Jim

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

Hey TJ,

I've really enjoyed this photo and your last fern one. These last few photos are really something and it does set you apart from a plethora of talented OR photogs. I'm glad you can connect with nature and in that relationship bring balance and direction for you. Keep getting out there and sharing!

Jason

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:54 PM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

Thanks Jim and Jason!

It's hard to be 'different' up here in the PNW. Or at least that's what is engrained in me. But I'm trying and I'm glad some people can see that effort and enjoy it.

Sep 10, 2014 at 01:09 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

TJ
This is a lovely shot with great light and composition. No rainbow shots?
harsha

Sep 10, 2014 at 01:28 PM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

Harsha.. due to scheduling conflicts we had to leave before then. But no matter because it was more the warm light itself that made the whole day for me and I'm glad it's highlighted in this photo.

I can always go back pretty much whenever I want anyways.. and I do want to badly. :-)

Sep 10, 2014 at 01:57 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

TJ Thorne wrote:
Thanks everyone!

Kee.. I'm not sure what the status is on replacing the bridge. It was a seasonal bridge anyways.... but as of the time I went there we had to cross on a log. Flow was low enough that I could have probably walked across the river, though.

Here's a discussion from the local hiking forum that you can read up on if you like: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19849&hilit=ramona

Hello TJ Thorne,

Thanks for the information. Since I will be traveling to the area in two days, I was curious about the bridge.

Sep 10, 2014 at 04:01 PM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

You should be fine Kee. Just cross on the log. The river should be pretty tame.

Sep 10, 2014 at 05:56 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

A fantastic image TJ and inspiring words as someone who also suffers a similar malady. I know what you mean about just standing still and soaking it up, we could all learn to stop and smell the "roses" a little more in these frantic modern times.

Andy

Sep 11, 2014 at 06:37 PM
bsitty1

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

Like everyone else said, this is a beautiful image and you captured it at the perfect time with lighting. Good work.

Sep 11, 2014 at 06:53 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ramona Falls in Warm Light

TJ keeps knocking us over. Great work man!

Sep 13, 2014 at 04:19 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.