New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tripod Setup Recommendations/400mm f/4 DO

JGalicki

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod Setup Recommendations/400mm f/4 DO

Hey All:

I've been shooting handheld with a 1DX and Canon's 400mm f/4 DO for bird photography...often with a 1.4 teleconverter. I always prefer shooting handheld as I can move around and get shots quite easy......that said, I've been finding myself in a good deal of situations which would allow for setup time and the ability to get close to bird subjects (i.e. shorebirds on mudflats). I've been thinking about investing in a tripod setup for these situations which may get me even sharper photos. I've never shot with a tripod so I'm not sure what's really out there option wise and what is best. for birds and birds in flight. That said....

1. What would folks here recommend as a complete tripod setup for my equipment? I'm thinking about investing in the 600mm sometime in the future so I'd like to get something that would support my current setup and something heavier in case of a new acquisition.

2. I have the Swarovski travel carbon fiber tripod. Not sure if it makes sense to use this as a tripod base and replace the head if that's possible.

Thanks for any help and recommendations!

Josh

Sep 09, 2014 at 08:23 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod Setup Recommendations/400mm f/4 DO

I'd keep your tripod and get a gimbal head. Lots of brands out there that work, search the web and here on FM, then pick your flavor. The sub $100 beike gimbal should work well for this light setup. For shore birds consider a ground pod and spacer if you plan to get low. You can always upgrade your tripod later if you feel the need.

David

Sep 09, 2014 at 11:44 PM
JGalicki

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod Setup Recommendations/400mm f/4 DO

Thx for your input!

Is there a specific beike gimbal (bk-45?) you would recommend? Additionally, any specific ground pod or spacer part as well?

Josh

Sep 10, 2014 at 08:24 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod Setup Recommendations/400mm f/4 DO

Yes just the standard gimbal. Usually goes for $100 on amazon, a little less on eBay, and around 65 from China. http://www.linkdelight.com/P0014086-Pergear-Pro-TH8-Gimbal-Tripod-Head-8KG-Load-For-Outdoor-Panorama-Shooting.html

Just search for ground pod. You'll need the optional spacer that pages will often link to. It allows you to attach the gimbal.
Http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544674-REG/Naturescapes_SKM_II_SKM_II_Skimmer_Ground_Pod.html

Sep 10, 2014 at 07:02 PM
Chris B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod Setup Recommendations/400mm f/4 DO

Josh -

I've been using a 400 DO now for about 6 years, and use it with and without a 1.4x. Because I also have a 500, I use a gimbal head (Wimberley) a lot. But I find that the DO is a little light for the Wimberley and doesn't perform as well as it does with the heavier lens.

When I need more support for those sharper shots that you mentioned, I use the DO on a monopod with a Kirk MPA-2 head. And when I really want to be able to have something else support the lens completely, I'll use a tripod with ballhead and a Wimberley Sidekick which is a "gimbal" alternative.

For your cirumstances, I certainly think that getting a good ballhead for your Swarovski tripod and then investing in a Sidekick would be a great alternative for now.

Wait until you get the 600 before investing in another tripod/ gimbal combo...

Sep 13, 2014 at 06:51 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.