New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · The $600.00 Nikkor 50-300 4.5 Lesson

Jeephoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The $600.00 Nikkor 50-300 4.5 Lesson

I recently bought a Nikkor 50-300 4.5 EDIF lens from the Auction site. It looked perfect, the seller was a fellow Texan, and I thought I found the PERFECT lens. I did my research on the 'net, compared prices and auctions and queried the seller on the product. So, when I came into some money, I jumped on it and bought it.

But, soon after I got the lens, I noticed some serious "play" in the Zoom mechanism. I tried everything to live with it, to adjust my technique, even checked into having it repaired locally. The local repair shops would not fix it because it was so old and parts no longer available.

No matter what I did, I could not get sharp photos from the lens. I had other smaller Nikkors that were acceptably sharp so I could not figure why this lens would not perform as well.

So, I sold it to one of those companies that you ship your equipment to and they send you a check.
I bought the lens for $999.00; sold it for $300.00. Thus taking a $600.00 loss.

I took the $300.00 and bought a 300mm 4.5 Ai prime from another online site that sells used photo equipment and this cheap lens is ugly in looks, but takes incredible photos. I am extremely happy with this purchase.

I guess sometimes you take a risk and fail.

Sep 09, 2014 at 10:15 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The $600.00 Nikkor 50-300 4.5 Lesson

Those lenses are known for that especially If dropped or misused. Focus can be a real problem. I am so sorry that you encountered such an expensive lesson. I also give you kudos for not dumping it on another unsuspecting soul. I too have the 300mm 4.5 EDIF and it is a great lens.
There is a wealth of knowledge in the Nikon manual lens thread. If you have questions you will find that group of people very accommodating. Also feel free to post your photos using the lens and a Nikon camera there.

Ray

Sep 09, 2014 at 11:11 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The $600.00 Nikkor 50-300 4.5 Lesson

Jeephoto wrote:
I recently bought a Nikkor 50-300 4.5 EDIF lens from the Auction site. It looked perfect, the seller was a fellow Texan, and I thought I found the PERFECT lens. I did my research on the 'net, compared prices and auctions and queried the seller on the product. So, when I came into some money, I jumped on it and bought it.

But, soon after I got the lens, I noticed some serious "play" in the Zoom mechanism. I tried everything to live with it, to adjust my technique, even checked into having it repaired locally. The local repair shops would
...Show more

That's why I only buy from sellers that have a return period - otherwise it's not worth it. Too many times I've gotten photo equipment that was not as advertised on that Auction Site. Here on FM I've never had a problem . . .

Sep 09, 2014 at 11:55 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The $600.00 Nikkor 50-300 4.5 Lesson

I would of just picked up a 70-300 VR for $300 and called it a day.

Sep 09, 2014 at 12:03 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.