New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · RRS D810 L Bracket first impressions

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS D810 L Bracket first impressions

just received a copy of the BD810 L rev A camera plate from RRS. they did do a "little" revising of its design from the original D800/800E version. for some it is the answer for their "prayers, requests, demands" but with it comes compromise. they created a "forced" baseline spacing at the left side doors so one can immediately easily access them w/o using the slider. but in doing so they increased the overall bulk of the camera body body assy over their other models when in a "parked" position. the tripod hole has been moved to an offset position so the camera now hangs off a sling type strap with the camera grip at a downward pointing angle (less then natural for grabbing/grasping). with the more centralized point the grab angle is more natural. with my strap and the more central point i can "adjust" the angle somewhat. but with this design you can keep your strap on even mounted to a tripod sporting a AS clamp.

so in the end some users win some lose. i rate this bracket a B- from my point of reference

Kirk is, as usual, very close in the basic design/redesign in their version. but less so in some changes. and in some ways that is good and others not so much.
and for a whole $5.00 less

Edited on Sep 09, 2014 at 03:31 PM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2014 at 09:31 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS D810 L Bracket first impressions

I have never used L brackets but the pic with the cameras dangling upside down looks so screwy and untrustworthy to me.

Sep 09, 2014 at 10:32 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS D810 L Bracket first impressions

never been an issue.
a fun demo showing the real world strength of a good tripod socket:

copy and run

now a more dynamic type of event will have more shock load. now putting heavy lenses on the end of a MP and jerking them around will provide some interesting loads. but then many do it daily right?

Sep 09, 2014 at 10:39 AM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS D810 L Bracket first impressions

The new bracket from RRS sounds like a mixed bag. Does the old one for the D800/e work and if so, would you prefer to use it on the D810 instead?

Sep 09, 2014 at 11:03 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS D810 L Bracket first impressions

Anyone tried a Markins plate on their D810 yet? They seem to have a thinner profile and are 30% lighter than RRS. Apparently the D800 version works on the D810. I have a universal one at the moment, but thinking of getting a fitted L bracket. RRS and Kirk seem bulky, but it could just be the photos.

https://www.photoproshop.com/images/D800_LN800.jpg

Sep 09, 2014 at 11:48 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS D810 L Bracket first impressions

markins has had issues fitting with an RRS lever clamp. the markins model is designed for the D800. the positioning of the L has not been addressed for access to the side. so it is a unknown quantity at this time.

Edited on Sep 09, 2014 at 03:30 PM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2014 at 03:06 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS D810 L Bracket first impressions

SAng wrote:
The new bracket from RRS sounds like a mixed bag. Does the old one for the D800/e work and if so, would you prefer to use it on the D810 instead?

in the end its 6 of one half a dozen of the other. they both work though for as a said some will like it better then others but i have the 810 plate now so it will stay on.

Sep 09, 2014 at 03:09 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS D810 L Bracket first impressions

SAng wrote:

The old one for the D800/D800E fits and works just fine on the D810, so I saw no reason to "upgrade".

Sep 09, 2014 at 04:54 PM
subidiom
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RRS D810 L Bracket first impressions

Just got my RRS D810 L-Bracket and am disappointed with it. As sjms pointed our it's quite beefy and pokes out on the side quite a bit.

My big issue with it though is the way the top edge of the vertical section of the bracket rests on the rubber PC Terminal cover. There is only a small area of contact between the bracket and the small strip of rubber holding the PC-Terminal cover - if you're not careful when mounting the bracket, it will wobble around - you really have to carefully torque the tripod socked screw down tightly. What's interesting is they did put a cutout in that area to provide clearance for the rubber strip - it's just .5mm too shallow.

I sent an email to RRS but they didn't want my design advice.

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:52 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RRS D810 L Bracket first impressions

Mine dropped right in and moves to where I need it. As far as the notch goes the 0.5mm is a matter of personal taste.That is a non issue really. It contacts the material (and only if you want it to) and prevents any metal to metal contact on the body side. You have full freedom of access to any of the ports as promised and delivered. Its just a willing to accept item as it is.

Sep 17, 2014 at 01:29 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.